HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:22 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Yup, was looking on Google maps this morning and realized only room for one more hall. At one of our annual conventions we utilize A, B, and C but use the new entrance area and palomino room for events. Way better visual experience like you were saying versus the entrance to the original halls.

In other interesting breaking news...Stockholm just announced they are pulling out of the Winter Olympic bid for 2026. That leaves only Calgary considering a run. Perhaps we can bend the IOC to our will so they aren't forced to scrub them? This of course could all play into the new arena play as well.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
I guess if they tear down the Corral it could get to Olympic Way without much of a deviation.
Here is the prior master plan (without the new arena or Corral replacement, but including a view of how 17th would work, showing BMO including hall F, a replacement for Big4, and an expanded concourse on the old side - which has been my personal input on this for a long time):

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...de+Master+Plan

The other piece this prior master plan dealt with is linking BMO proper to the Big 4 replacement. When the stampede has been at the limits of what it can host, the fact those two pieces are not linked (and the lower quality of Big 4) has been an issue. Some of these things may not be apparent to the average joe, but then the Stampede doesn't often talk about the events it has lost due to limitations. All these pieces integrated with the new stadium would allow facilitation of much more than an arena and field house (IE in context of non-sporting events / massive conventions) because there are just many, many more additional large spaces. Two halls at 150K each is a big deal just as a starting point (field house would be just one hall of 150K), let alone Big4 redevelopment and convention-type spaces in place of the Corral, all in addition to the new arena. This would basically toss a new convention centre out, as it would not be required (assuming hotel pieces also come together).

Rivers district master plan input portal:
http://www.calgarymlc.ca/riversdistr...terplan#vision

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:51 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:55 AM

Smile

I would like to get people's thoughts if it is possible to do the whole Calgarynext concept of an Arena, Stadium and Fieldhouse on the current land of Victoria Park in Railtown area and where the current Calgary Transit Bus Barns are located? I believe that the Calgary Transit Bus Barns are going to be eventually relocated elsewhere in Downtown Calgary. Would there be enough land for this concept to work over there? It would be great to also have the Green Line of the LRT have a Station in Calgarynext if that were possible it would really tie in nicely with the area. If this idea would work then it should be the new Plan A for the City of Calgary and Calgary Flames Sports and Entertainment.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:35 PM

I am thinking the space between 11 Ave and the railway tracks might be too narrow for arena/stadiums. Perhaps, if the design included building over top the tracks but then you would need all the land on the north side as well. The space between 9 Ave is even narrower.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCanuck View Post
I am thinking the space between 11 Ave and the railway tracks might be too narrow for arena/stadiums. Perhaps, if the design included building over top the tracks but then you would need all the land on the north side as well. The space between 9 Ave is even narrower.
I have read on SSP before that CP is unwilling to have stands or a stadium structure situated above the tracks.

My personal opinion is that Ramsay is due for a proper integration with the Beltline/EV, and this won't happen with a giant stadium being placed on the other side of Macdonald Bridge. I'm all for the "Plan B" arena placement, and future, unknown plans for a separate stadium (maybe at the Grandstand, as was discussed earlier).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC23 View Post
I would like to get people's thoughts if it is possible to do the whole Calgarynext concept of an Arena, Stadium and Fieldhouse on the current land of Victoria Park in Railtown area and where the current Calgary Transit Bus Barns are located? I believe that the Calgary Transit Bus Barns are going to be eventually relocated elsewhere in Downtown Calgary. Would there be enough land for this concept to work over there? It would be great to also have the Green Line of the LRT have a Station in Calgarynext if that were possible it would really tie in nicely with the area. If this idea would work then it should be the new Plan A for the City of Calgary and Calgary Flames Sports and Entertainment.
The thing that made the 'Arena, Stadium and Fieldhouse' not work was not only the location, it was that the extra money to turn the Fieldhouse into a CFL capable arena.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:50 PM

I like the idea of the arena and stadium as a single development, but there isn't anywhere good inner city, and I'd prefer to have the arena downtown. The Stadium gets used 20 - 30 nights a year, so I'm ok with it staying where it is. There is so much space on the McMahon site that we could easily incorporate everything else there, and still sell off most of the site for development. I'm sure the city could broker a deal between CSEC and the UofC similar to how they are doing with the Stampede for the arena.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:54 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I like the idea of the arena and stadium as a single development, but there isn't anywhere good inner city, and I'd prefer to have the arena downtown. The Stadium gets used 20 - 30 nights a year, so I'm ok with it staying where it is. There is so much space on the McMahon site that we could easily incorporate everything else there, and still sell off most of the site for development. I'm sure the city could broker a deal between CSEC and the UofC similar to how they are doing with the Stampede for the arena.
I think general concensus is that the Saddledome would inevitably have to face the wrecking ball once the new arena is built.

Is there a reason why CSEC couldn't build a stadium on the old site of the Saddledome?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I think general concensus is that the Saddledome would inevitably have to face the wrecking ball once the new arena is built.

Is there a reason why CSEC couldn't build a stadium on the old site of the Saddledome?
The Stampede hasn't said what they will do with the Dome as far as I know, would probably make a great venue for them to hold concerts and what not. I've heard rumours of them turning it into exhibition space, but no idea if that's true. Putting a football stadium there would eat up most of the area around where the Saddledome is now, and I doubt the Stampede would be fond of that idea.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
The university has land quasi set aside that can host a new small stadium on campus.

The UBC stadium to the left was a big grass bowl which expands the footprint even more than needed. 3,500 in the main grandstand. The right is the site on campus iirc.

The university community and certain sports teams/athletes would use a new field house facility for sure. But don't mistake a partnership with the university, or interest in the facility as funding from the university, or capacity for funding.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:35 PM

Either way, I think the current location is more than suitable for all CSEC desires that isn't the hockey rink...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 5:08 PM
YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCanuck View Post
They can lower the tracks underground if needed.

Last edited by People.talking; May 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 5:22 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
I remember complaining about those developments as they turned their backs on 12 Ave (and were generally boring). I hope they make changes, since there will be a ton of pedestrian activity in the area if the arena is indeed built across the street.
It's too late to change at this point. The Youth campus portion is partially complete and the new Campus for the Calgary Arts Academy will be occupied as of September.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC23 View Post
I would like to get people's thoughts if it is possible to do the whole Calgarynext concept of an Arena, Stadium and Fieldhouse on the current land of Victoria Park in Railtown area and where the current Calgary Transit Bus Barns are located?
Personally I think it is a non-starter, not because of land, but because the value proposition of CalgaryNEXT of being an events centre and convention space, in addition to sporting venues, is actually met wayyyyy better and in spades by the BMO centre, and particularly after what is on the books for its additions/renos. This was actually a massive flaw in the CalgaryNEXT project in the first place. The city and stampede have been making numerous plans and have spent capital on adding so much in that area, and after some of these things were already done, the Flames tried to plunk the thing somewhere completely separate. The investments on that half of the downtown, with current arena there and new arena there, include firstly the master planning for the BMO centre, the hotel, Olympic Way, and don't forget the 4th street underpass. So an arena there takes advantage of all those things already in place, or in the works. You don't then come in and say we'll add $500M or whatever so that we can compete with the better facilities you've created next door. A massive stadium will actually kill that area as it leaves less space for anything else, and completes instead of compliments.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 6:34 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The university has land quasi set aside that can host a new small stadium on campus.

The UBC stadium to the left was a big grass bowl which expands the footprint even more than needed. 3,500 in the main grandstand. The right is the site on campus iirc.

The university community and certain sports teams/athletes would use a new field house facility for sure. But don't mistake a partnership with the university, or interest in the facility as funding from the university, or capacity for funding.
Huh! I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

I always figured if a University stadium was built, it would plopped down here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.07706.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 6:39 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
The Stampede hasn't said what they will do with the Dome as far as I know, would probably make a great venue for them to hold concerts and what not. I've heard rumours of them turning it into exhibition space, but no idea if that's true. Putting a football stadium there would eat up most of the area around where the Saddledome is now, and I doubt the Stampede would be fond of that idea.
It's nice to hear that there is talk about saving the Saddledome

If the Saddledome is destroyed, what would do you think the land would be used for?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Huh! I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

I always figured if a University stadium was built, it would plopped down here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.07706.../data=!3m1!1e3
that land is designated for high density residential and mixed commercial residential, and some parkland.

http://www.wcdt.ca/assets/Land-Use/J...D-USE-PLAN.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

I didn't know that, figured they would want to keep something at McMahon / Foothills athletic.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that, figured they would want to keep something at McMahon / Foothills athletic.
Would be up to the board at the time of course. The university likes to keep its options open. Would weigh more development space/land for land swaps near LRT with more space on the boundary of west and main campus for who knows what.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates