HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:55 PM

I have a CB script. Doesn't talk much about the opposition other than that they are "unified" against it. Too late apparently though...

Mainly against it being affordable housing? And taking shots at the developer, who also did 200 Carondelet and that that project doesn't have enough security and gathering spaces for residents.

One genius is quoted as saying "residential doesn't make sense for that part of Canal St" whatever that means...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:49 PM
-

Ijust wish that the news would do a better job when quoting opposition and that they would actualy follow up by asking these people what would they propose instead. Number two why does the news find it nescessary to always find someone against something to begin with, especially if its a very negligible amount. No market rate, tax credit free project will ever happen above the Saenger as there are too many uniques challenges with that property not the least of which there is no way to address parking on site. Parking will have to be somewhere else. It sounds like a good deal to me and getting all the buildings on that block renovated and open in sync is the best possible outcome if you ask me. Now, if security is a problem at their other property than just require additional security at this one for approval.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Ever wondered where exactly those houses went that were moved from the VA/LSU hospital footprint? Well here you go:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...267eb69b9c766e
Lots of those houses were moved by that new distillery I mentioned yesterday.

Now this is a bit off topic but I talked with a guy yesterday that mentioned some project that is being considered in the Gulf South of New Orleans. Its some version of whats commonly referred to as seasteading. Basically, it would be several floating platforms offering a refuge from rules and regulations of the usa and any other nation. New Orleans would be their main place to access this facility. Interesting concept and I could see it taking off.

New Bid
1592105 New Orleans, LA Educational, Office 12/14/2011
Description Sealed bids for the LSU Health Sciences Center Foundation Offices, 2000 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans LA, will be received at the offices of Mathes Brierre Architects, 201 St. Charles Avenue, 41st Floor, New Orleans, LA, no later than 2:00 p.m. on Janua...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 10:00 PM

Lafitte Corridor

Looks like our little project is getting some national attention.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...ridor-greenway

According to the article, the Lafitte Greenway is getting a $7 million infusion from the feds. If I remember correctly, the original pricetag for this project when it began was $2 million. Seems it's being stepped up a few notches.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Looks like our little project is getting some national attention.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...ridor-greenway

According to the article, the Lafitte Greenway is getting a $7 million infusion from the feds. If I remember correctly, the original pricetag for this project when it began was $2 million. Seems it's being stepped up a few notches.
I really think this project has the potential to be more transformative than reinventing the crescent because it will cut right through the city.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:29 AM
TL;DR

speaking of Reinventing the Crescent...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:38 AM
-

I wish theyd give more updates on the progress of the park. It seems to be really flying under the radar for such a high profile construction project.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:35 AM

This past weekend, I went to DesCours and was able to go inside the Orpheum Theater...does anyone know any up to date info on the renovation of it? It didn't seem like much had changed since Katrina when I walked in the building...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:03 PM

Just saw on the council meeting that 1401-9 Canal Street, the building next to the new BioInnovation Center, will be renovated to have groundfloor businesses. The first will be a Subway sandwich shop.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:36 PM
-

Every little bit helps!

Lights are turned on for the Joy Theatre tuesday too!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 8:56 PM

Complete Streets

Complete streets passed unanimously!!! Woohoo

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Complete streets passed unanimously!!! Woohoo
Could you explain what that is?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:05 PM
TL;DR

I don't know the specifics of the law, but I'm guessing it's a toothless feel-good bill that will allow DOTD to continue what they've been doing, while paying lip service to alternative transportation like walking and biking.

If they were really serious about it, then the bill would instantly increase the cost of most road projects with sidewalks and/or wide shoulders, so it would not have passed unanimously.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't know the specifics of the law, but I'm guessing it's a toothless feel-good bill that will allow DOTD to continue what they've been doing, while paying lip service to alternative transportation like walking and biking.

If they were really serious about it, then the bill would instantly increase the cost of most road projects with sidewalks and/or wide shoulders, so it would not have passed unanimously.
What do you mean? I would assume that Complete Streets would be a DPW project.
Has there even been a recent street project that didn't include sidewalks? Or are you saying that the current ones aren't wide enough.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:30 AM
-

Im not sure the cost has to be any more than currently is allocated for most projects. The only extra cost I can think of is the extra striping required to mark the bike lane . Otherwise the same amount of asphalt is used.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 7:10 AM
TL;DR

I thought we were referring to a state bill that just passed in Baton Rouge, which would apply to all new state highway projects.

If it's just the city, I guess it can't hurt, but it's not gonna require bike lanes on every street. That will still be at the discretion of whatever entity controls the street in question.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 7:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I thought we were referring to a state bill that just passed in Baton Rouge, which would apply to all new state highway projects.

If it's just the city, I guess it can't hurt, but it's not gonna require bike lanes on every street. That will still be at the discretion of whatever entity controls the street in question.
Bike lanes arent really nescessary on every street they should only be only required on main arteries or feeder streets. I certainly think its a positive for city protocol to be to consider bike lanes. Cant see a downside in it!

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 8:06 PM

Hotel LaSalle apartment conversion gets tax credit approval

Hotel LaSalle apartment conversion gets tax credit approval!!!

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...edit-approval/

Quote:
Opponents of the redevelopment argue that any residential use at that location does not conform with the city’s plans to create a thriving performing arts district in that area. The Saenger, scheduled to reopen next year, is seen as one of the anchor venues of the district.

City Council members Kristin Palmer, Stacy Head and Jackie Clarkson, along with the Canal Street Development Corp. and the Downtown Development District, submitted letters of opposition in an attempt to halt the project from moving forward. But their concerns were at odds with at least one LHFA board member, vice chairman Guy Williams, who said the new complex could be vital for people who will work in the district.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:57 PM
-

My father didnt want to approve this but there wasnt much they could do. I dont think its horrible but I hope the place is run well if it is ultimately built. Its an awkward spot so Im not sure what could be done there otherwise.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
My father didnt want to approve this but there wasnt much they could do. I dont think its horrible but I hope the place is run well if it is ultimately built. Its an awkward spot so Im not sure what could be done there otherwise.
Bird in the hand...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations