HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
what? what fantasy is this in?
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nort...naby-metrotown

Quote:
This 20-km-long SkyTrain line between the North Shore and Burnaby, named as the Purple Line for planning purposes only, was envisioned by the North Shore Connects (NSC) initiative in Fall 2021 following a preliminary technical study. And as of this month, the SkyTrain Purple Line concept received the official backing of Burnaby City Council.

In a private meeting last week, city council made the decision to support the Burrard Inlet Rapid Transit Project, with the specific stated preference for the Purple Line. The City of Burnaby wants this to be “a new initiative in the Mayors’ Council’s New Vision prioritized for project development and implementation in TransLink’s next 10-year investment plan.”

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:10 PM

I don't see the fine citizens of West Vancouver accepting a Skytrain route that extends into their oasis. Too many potential vagrants that come with it. While I have oft-heard complaints from West Vancouver's younger residents about the lack of transit options, I think a petition for limousine service from West Van to Downtown Vancouver is on order.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
well this wont be happening. we dont even have SkyTrain to UBC, and wont for probably another 20yrs.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:19 PM

it's probably more likely in 2040-2050, not our lifetime.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
what? what fantasy is this in?
The recently approved Transport 2050 plan. https://www.transport2050.ca/

Quote:
it's probably more likely in 2040-2050, not our lifetime.
That's only 28 years away maximum, most of us will still be alive, some will still be commuting. A project this size at this part of the development process will likely be at least 10 years until phase 4 is completed. We could be in the detailed planning stages of a Willingdon line at that point.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
The lot is not that huge, so four towers will completely pack it. That's a good point about the future SkyTrain line between Metrotown and North Shore needing a stop in Brentwood. I would think any such station would be underground.
An underground station will still need an entrance, or hopefully more than one. Planning for a line doesn't need to be a land easement, could be something as simple as ensuring the structure can be modified to accommodate an underground or above ground connection.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
An underground station will still need an entrance, or hopefully more than one. Planning for a line doesn't need to be a land easement, could be something as simple as ensuring the structure can be modified to accommodate an underground or above ground connection.
Both Brentwood and Metrotown would be underground stations but the topography shows the line could be in a trench or above ground between them.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
well this wont be happening. we dont even have SkyTrain to UBC, and wont for probably another 20yrs.
From the article shared:
"The City of Burnaby wants this to be “a new initiative in the Mayors’ Council’s New Vision prioritized for project development and implementation in TransLink’s next 10-year investment plan.”"

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
From the article shared:
"The City of Burnaby wants this to be “a new initiative in the Mayors’ Council’s New Vision prioritized for project development and implementation in TransLink’s next 10-year investment plan.”"
yeah that wont be a thing; no way that'll happen.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
yeah that wont be a thing; no way that'll happen.
it might. It's in the interest of all municipalities east of Vancouver, which houses the majority of the lower mainland population. If Burnaby plays their cards right they might get it to happen.

There are simply too many obstructionist forces in Vancouver for the city to be an effective capital of regional development. Burnaby and surrey can do pick up the slack.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerseeker101 View Post
I don't see the fine citizens of West Vancouver accepting a Skytrain route that extends into their oasis. Too many potential vagrants that come with it. While I have oft-heard complaints from West Vancouver's younger residents about the lack of transit options, I think a petition for limousine service from West Van to Downtown Vancouver is on order.
It looks like that line would end at Park Royal. That's probably acceptable to the aristocracy.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 11:47 PM

I wouldn't put too much stock in the timeline, but they are identifying "what's next".

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cov View Post
it might. It's in the interest of all municipalities east of Vancouver, which houses the majority of the lower mainland population. If Burnaby plays their cards right they might get it to happen.

There are simply too many obstructionist forces in Vancouver for the city to be an effective capital of regional development. Burnaby and surrey can do pick up the slack.
i can see it happening eventually, but no way no how will it be that 10yr timeline.

that is completely unrealistic.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Four new towers in the heart of Brentwood. Those in Amazing Brentwood Tower 1 are sure to lose so views depending on how tall these will go.

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...hanger-5030804

Really hope to see something over 200m here, this is the prime site for a potential pinnacle landmark tower for Brentwood.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 2:40 AM

Thanks for posting.
Based on those floorplate outlines, those aren't super tall towers.
Tower 3 (phase 4) could be the tallest.
I'd rather see Towers 3 and 4 consolidated and the ground plane opened up a bit on the corner, versus farther north where they have Buchanan Square. Could be Buchanan Square is for a future SkyTrain station entrance.
I'll bet that a station passage could be built to the p2 level of TAB with escalators in the vicinity of the Sporting Life entrance.
The slope of Willingdon will favours having the station underground north of Lougheed - unless they take the line down Gilmore instead.

Last edited by officedweller; Feb 6, 2022 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 3:58 AM

Pretty sure that any Willingdon Line station would be on the southeast corner (right next to the M-Line's stairs); the northwest would repeat the same mistake as City Centre and Granville.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 7:56 AM

I was thinking it could tie into the P2 level of TAB.

The reasoning being that the farther the station is located downhill to the south, the deeper the level station box would have to be excavated (digging back into the hill), and the deeper the bored tunnel would be. I was thinking there might be a portal south of Lougheed in the middle of Willingdon where the line would be elevated crossing the TCH and past BCIT diving underground when the hill gets steep south of BCIT. ... that is, unless they take Douglas Road and Gilmore...

I suppose the ultimate solution would depend on when and how the auto dealerhship site is developed.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 9:29 AM

I've been seeing this warehouse space being changed for a while now, the glass part used to be like the left part, not sure what it's going to be for. Does anyone know?

It's in Burnaby on Production way and something

2022-02-06_01-27-04 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 10:13 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
I've been seeing this warehouse space being changed for a while now, the glass part used to be like the left part, not sure what it's going to be for. Does anyone know?

its a distro center for one of the larger grocery chains I believe. if you google the address something should come up. sorry but I cant remember who is taking it right now

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:

It’s the new headquarters for Stemcell Technologies. They currently own the land in that area at 2821 Production Way and 8399 Eastlake drive

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4635904
https://www.stemcell.com/locations/n...a/vancouver-bc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley