HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thank you riichkay for the post

Comingore's story, as related in the LA Review of books, was gripping and tragic.

In later years Wells said he regretted the damage done to Marion Davies by the Susan Alexander character. Did he ever spare a thought for Dorothy Comingore?
All I could come up with along those lines is the following. Apparently, Welles bought into the prostitution story. Either he had some inside information, or was just repeating what he had read in the papers:

BY HILTON ALS – OCTOBER 7, 2013
From “My Lunches with Orson” Edited by Peter Biskind:

Interviewer: Dorothy Comingore, another fresh face, was so great as Susan Alexander, Kane’s mistress and second wife, the one based on Marion Davies. How did you find her?

Orson Welles: Chaplin, you know, told me about her.

Interviewer: What was she in?

OW: Nothing. He just found her. He’d seen her in some little play or something. Her singing “Come and Go,” was a real fabricated performance, because we sprayed her throat before every take with some dangerous chemical that made her hoarse. Her performance as the younger version of the wife was herself. The older one was chemical….

Interviewer: So, what happened to Comingore?

OW: For two or three years she just refused everything, waiting for another Susan Alexander. Well, you know, those parts don’t come along so often.

Interviewer: God, in a way, it’s the worst thing that can happen, to get that at the beginning of your career, isn’t it?

OW…Everybody loved her in “Kane,” so she was in a good situation. She had that pathos that could turn into bitchiness because it came from insecurity and vulgarity. She ended up, you know, being arrested for prostitution. She was picking up people in bars. It was tragic.

Interviewer: I recall she was married to screenwriter Richard Collins, who told HUAC he divorced her because she refused to name names. She was blacklisted in 1951, which ended her career

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 1:51 AM

Wow, Welles was brutal and wrong.

Grateful that the interviewer tried to correct him.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 21, 2016 at 1:58 AM. Reason: spelling, duh

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Funny coincidence, I just finished scanning a bunch of old albums. Here's two. The first, with my mother, shows his working clothes. His employer expected him to wear a three piece suit while chasing crooks through a railroad yard in Elko NV. Never outdoors without a hat. The second is one of a set I just sent to the Basque museum in Boise. My parents met through the efforts of a Basque family and we vacationed every summer up on their sheep camp near Beckwith Pass, CA. That's me on the mule, one of the sheepherders on the left.

Cheers,

Earl
......]Earl:
Thanks for posting these wonderful photos and sharing them with us. Family photos are always a welcome sight for me.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 12:36 PM

Thanks to RiichKay for those captures of the Raincheck Room. The sign looked exactly the same when I was a regular there in the late 70's/early 80's.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:31 PM
History Detective

Sheriff's range picture

Deputy Griggers, along with the Sheriff’s Pistol Team put on amazing shooting expositions throughout Los Angeles County for many years. Is that Shirley Temple?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:02 PM

Quote:

Wow, Welles was brutal and wrong.

Grateful that the interviewer tried to correct him.

Well, he was right about the arrest--& she does seem to have been willing to "fraternize" with the cops.... (I've never heard prostitution referred to as "commercial vice"....)

Times-- 3-20-53:

Times-- 5-27-53:

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFFPAUL View Post

Is that Shirley Temple?
Yes, it's Shirley Temple. Here's a larger version of the photo.

"Deputy Sewell Griggers and Shirley Temple in 19?? The photo promoted the Revolver Club of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Deputy Griggers, along with the Sheriff’s Pistol Team put on amazing shooting expositions throughout Los Angeles County for many years. Deputy Sewell was not only an accomplished marksman, he did so even though a teenage accident resulted in him not being able to see out of his right eye, and his dominant hand shook due to nerve damage."

Pinterest

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 6:02 PM
History Detective

Thanks, it looked like her.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 6:33 PM

Dorothy Comingore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Well, he was right about the arrest
Comingore always maintained that the arrest was a frame up.

I'm confused as to why one can be committed to a state institution by an ex-husband for "financial reasons".

The Red Scare ruined a lot of lives. One is left to wonder if she could have been all right w/o HUAC.

She died in 1971

wiki

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 27, 2016 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 7:26 PM

There's a new vid making the rounds, a 1947 Bob's Big Boy car-hop training film. If you haven't seen it, you should, for obvious reasons:

I'll let the esteemed Chris Nichols of LAMagazine tell you all about it here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
I looked for a photo of the Try Later bar, nothing turned up. The closest I got were some 1959 images after it had become the Raincheck Room, from the first successful Russ Meyer nudie pic, "The Immoral Mr. Teas".

...riichkay, thanks for finding these screengrab photos from the Russ Meyer film! I added a link to your post to my original one about this location!

Now maybe something for "Try Later" will show up at some point!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
There's a new vid making the rounds, a 1947 Bob's Big Boy car-hop training film. If you haven't seen it, you should, for obvious reasons:

Wasn't Carolina Pines a bowling alley at one time? That's what immediately leapt to mind when I saw the name and sign.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:25 PM

We're on Easy Street for today's Julius Shulman post. This is "Job 5267: Buff & Hensman, M.C. Gill Corporation (El Monte, Calif.), 1975".

Here's a closer view of the entrance. I've left out a color version of this shot.

The license plate of the Mercedes says "4 TRUTH" - I wonder who it belonged to. The car behind is bugging me - I feel like I should recognize it. Any ideas?

All from Getty Research Institute

The reason for my opening line is that the building is at 4056 Easy Street, El Monte. Other than losing the rails by the steps, it looks pretty much unchanged.

GSV

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

I just watched most of this film (it's like 30 minutes long!), and I kept expecting that cheesy management guy who interviewed Eve for the job to put the moves on her. It almost seemed like a set up for a blue movie.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
We're on Easy Street for today's Julius Shulman post. This is "Job 5267: Buff & Hensman, M.C. Gill Corporation (El Monte, Calif.), 1975".
GSV
Calvin C Straub, previously featured in another of your posts, was in partnership for a time with Buff & Hensman. They completed Case Study House #20 together for designer Saul Bass.

The history of the firm is here

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:

[snip]

The license plate of the Mercedes says "4 TRUTH" - I wonder who it belonged to. The car behind is bugging me - I feel like I should recognize it. Any ideas?

GSV
My guess is a 74 or 75 Mustang Fastback with a CB radio.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Comingore always maintained that the arrest was a frame up.

I doubt she would have owned up readily to offering to go down on guys in a "dark place" for 10 bucks...(each?). Anyway, once she was committed, the charges were dropped.

(Whoa Dorothy)

It looks like William P. Comingore had moved his family (then wife Bernadotte/Bernadette and daughter Lucille) west to LA by 1906; he was working as a Times typesetter that year. The Comingores moved around a lot in the city before Dorothy was born in 1913, when they settled for a time at 1414 Carroll Avenue:

In 1920, the family was living around the corner at 950 (now apparently 952) E. Edgeware Rd:

Then, in the '20s, they moved to Oakland. Dorothy came south again in 1938 to get into showbiz.

Dad had his own run-in with the law--and none other than Harry Chandler (from the Herald, Sept 2, 16 & 24, 1910):

And yet, he was back at the Times as head electrotyper by 1914 (Times, 12-31-1914):

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 21, 2016 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:55 PM

Appears, Frank Carroll's Ford Dealership was located at 705 S. Atlantic Blvd., East Los Angeles. Carroll's Ford, at that address, eventually gave way to Freeway Motors/Freeway Ford according to '56 and '60 CDs. Frank Carroll also purveyed "pre-owned" autos at 5111 Whittier Blvd. in the '30s, which is near another streamline gem 5136 Whittier Blvd. (below).

1931 - Frank Carroll's
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/27353

Statuary

Frank Carroll's Showroom
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/27356

Hard to ignore similarities at the former United Artists Theater on Whittier Blvd.

5136 Whittier Blvd.
GoogleStreetView

Google StreetView

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00099/00099237.jpg

Also mentioned here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9779

Last edited by BifRayRock; Dec 22, 2016 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

My guess is a 74 or 75 Mustang Fastback with a CB radio.
Thanks, Earl. I can't match it to any of the '74/75 Mustang Fastback pictures online. My original feeling was something European. With a bit more time to search, I'm leaning towards a 1975 Maserati Khamsin.

www.carpictures.com

Here's the original image at full resolution for comparison.

GSV

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:

I'd wager that's a Maserati Khamsin, judging by the antenna placement, window shape, wheels, and location of the reflector on the left rear quarter panel

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/03/14/...erati-khamsin/

ETA: Looks like HossC came to the same conclusion I did! Great minds and all ;-)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos