HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Lol these idiots need to take a trip to Québec City where most of the streets in the city centre utilize pedestrian crossing. I can guarantee the intersection of Honoré-Mercier/Rue Saint-Jean has more pedestrian, vehicle, and bus traffic than River/Osborne yet if Québec City removed the scramble I shit you not there would probably be riots. Having the ability to cross a road diagonally instead of waiting an additional light cycle feels life changing and is so safe (especially with no rights on red lights but that’s another topic).

Hell even where I live in Rimouski, which is the size of Brandon has quite a few scramble crossings.

Shortsighted, incompetent, and incapable of critical thinking. Sounds like the Winnipeg public service I remember…
Quebec City has an extensive and efficient provincial highway system that runs through many parts of the city, with plenty of interchanges and grade separations. This alleviates a lot of traffic pressure from having to run through city streets to get across the city or to major employment centres.

Winnipeg doesn't have such a luxury. We have no major highways that get anyone close to major employment centres in the central part of our city. As a result, everyone - semi trucks, cars and busses - are dependent on using oversized stroads like Pembina, Osborne, Portage and Main to get to where they want. The end result is that what should be our densest and most walkable neighborhoods are intersected with oversized streets, completely killing a lot of pedestrian interaction which would enhance vibrancy.

You're not going to get rid of cars and busses and semi trucks in the next 100 years, so if want to enhance the vibrancy of our central areas including downtown and Osborne Village, we need to operate on the assumption that people will need to continue to commute to where they work, and given this assumption, how do we plan a better transportation network that takes cars away from areas that should be pedestrianized without adding significant commute time to existing and future traffic which would reduce Winnipeg's potential to accommodate both population and job growth.

Too many simple minded knee-jerk reactions that advocate "taking cars off streets" without providing a realistic alternative - and no, you're not going to shift the 300,000 people who take cars to work into transit overnight by simply adding another rapid transit line or implementing the Transit Master Plan. So lets get reasonable here.

Like it or not, a proper highway network can actually alleviate road use in residential neighborhoods which makes things better for pedestrians and enhances vibrancy. Winnipeg lacks a proper highway network so people are forced to use our oversized arterials that cut through our neighborhoods, killing any hopes of walkability.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:49 PM
There is always a way

Yeah ^ there are no solutions to any of these issues, only trade-offs. At the same time, we need to find a way to fund these things, and fast. A solid highway network is going to become more and more necessary as time goes on, just as it will become more and more necessary to also have proper grade-separated rapid transit sooner than later too.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:46 PM

Not surprised they poo poo'd the scramble, but the slip lane?? I really hope council (pushed by Rollins) reconsiders that.

And why are trucks being routed alonf Osborne anyways? Shouldn't Donald be the main route for any trucks that are going through the area? (Sigh.)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:15 PM
What could go wrong?

I have to say, the mid-town bridge is pretty tight and the curves at each end make it even more-so for large vehicles. I would imagine that truckers try to avoid it. I travel it every day and I see busses and semi's encroach on the other lane all the time.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:50 PM

Outside of local deliveries there is absolutely no reason trucks should be using Osborne as a thoroughfare. Donald, Main, even Sherbrook are all viable, nearby alternatives. The effects on the neighbourhood are atrocious, likewise River, which offers no place to cross for seemingly a full kilometre. Guess it's time to call my councillor.

If Winnipeg were even a hair as progressive as cities in Quebec, Osborne from confusion corner to River would be closed to vehicle traffic all summer long.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Not surprised they poo poo'd the scramble, but the slip lane?? I really hope council (pushed by Rollins) reconsiders that.
1000%, the reasoning in the report is complete nonsense.

“The removal was ultimately not recommended due to negative impacts to Winnipeg Transit service and bus stop amenities at the intersection, Relocating the bus stop is an undesirable change to Transit operations and passenger comfort.”

Passenger comfort? As someone who uses that stop regularly I was very much looking forward to not having to take my life in my hands walking across that slip lane and also looking forward to the bus stop not being cramped onto a little island. What did they smoke before they wrote this crap.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:59 AM

339 Wardlaw Ave is going up fast:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:00 AM

Foundation work continuing at 350 River Ave:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:02 AM

There is now a leased sign up at the old Unique Bunny location:

Also, it looks like Small Mercies is getting close to reopening. I noticed earlier tonight that people where inside stocking shelves.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post

Also, it looks like Small Mercies is getting close to reopening. I noticed earlier tonight that people where inside stocking shelves.
That's great to see! Does anyone know anything about when Paste/Shirley's (former Basils) is going to open? It's been eons...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:01 PM
surely you agree with me

^ i noticed they are actually working on it now...for a long time it was just a few ladders and random construction materials....but studs and drywall are going up now.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:01 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post

please don't be a pot store....please don't be a pot store....please don't be a pot store....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Could you imagine if they privatized liquor sales - 50% of this city would be pot stores and booze stores...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:40 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Could you imagine if they privatized liquor sales - 50% of this city would be pot stores and booze stores...
At least you wouldn't have to buy booze from MLCC.

The real issue there is the distribution monopoly rather than government stores.

I do see the annoyance with pot stores at the moment given the number of them that have opened. It makes one wonder how many of them are actually solvent.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
please don't be a pot store....please don't be a pot store....please don't be a pot store....
Unique Budzy

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
At least you wouldn't have to buy booze from MLCC.

The real issue there is the distribution monopoly rather than government stores.

I do see the annoyance with pot stores at the moment given the number of them that have opened. It makes one wonder how many of them are actually solvent.
They have to be money laundering fronts half the time. That's the only way I can imagine the explosion of weed stores is economically viable haha.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:25 PM

A weed store would be the last thing I'd choose to be a front though. With the government inspectors, regulations and such. Much easier opening a restaurant or salon or something like that.

Weed and liquor are both distribution monopolies here in Manitoba, by MLCC. Private liquor stores would be same a weed stores right now. Until the province actually ends the monopoly, which seems like it will never happen, you won't see true private sales of anything.

I'd suspect the number of weed stores will go down over the coming years as there are just so many of them. To the last couple posts, they can't all be making money, can they?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 7:50 PM
keep the good times going

Id choose robins doughnuts as a front candidate lmao

But also yes please don't be another weed store on Osbourne..

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
A weed store would be the last thing I'd choose to be a front though. With the government inspectors, regulations and such. Much easier opening a restaurant or salon or something like that.

Weed and liquor are both distribution monopolies here in Manitoba, by MLCC. Private liquor stores would be same a weed stores right now. Until the province actually ends the monopoly, which seems like it will never happen, you won't see true private sales of anything.

I'd suspect the number of weed stores will go down over the coming years as there are just so many of them. To the last couple posts, they can't all be making money, can they?
Right - all alcohol sales in small towns is either from the town's store or for quantity of non-specialty beer (12s, 24s etc...) then the local bar is where you go. These private businesses must make a cut but they get their products from MLCC and pricing is fixed province-wide.

Guaranteed if they opened up to private sales that the distribution and pricing will still be regulated by MLCC.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:47 PM

MLCC sells them the product and then I'm not sure if they're bound by the pricing MLCC dictates. I do see the same pricing at vendors and LC's, with the little green and white 'sale' tags. But I haven't paid close enough attention to check prices. Typically vendors were always a bit more expensive for beer as it is refrigerated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan