HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 7:58 AM

Late-night fooling around

I just came upon the site for that racetrack that was planned for Avondale a year or two ago. I remember reading one story about it in the paper and then no more. But they actually went ahead with it and are finishing up on paving the track. Nolamotor.com

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 9:00 AM

Haven't heard any news since the latest delay of the planned implosion was announced. Given the major events planned for the area in early January, my guess is the implosion won't occur until late January or early Feb.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 5:17 AM

Claiborne Overpass Update

http://thelensnola.org/2011/12/08/claiborne-teardown/

Last Fall the City was given $2 million from the federal gov't to study options for revitalizing the Claiborne Corridor, and after a year of delay, the study will finally begin. It is expected to take more than a year to complete, and afterwards we should know the cost of reconstructing, demolishing, or other ways of revitalizing the strip.

I'm just annoyed that this could have been completed by now if not for the delays.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 5:18 PM

Center of Jesus the Lord on North Rampart

http://www.nola.com/religion/index.s...olic_chur.html

Quote:
Archbishop Gregory Aymond will announce today that the Center of Jesus the Lord, a community of charismatic Catholics, will move to Good Counsel from its current home on North Rampart Street at the edge of the French Quarter.
Other articles have talked about the Center of Jesus the Lord on North Rampart being in bad repair. Is is possible with the coming of the streetcar line down Rampart, the church is deciding to sell/redevelop the complex? The old monostary could become phenominal condos similar to the St. Elizabeth Condos on Napoleon Ave. The complex takes up half the block and includes a huge walled in outdoor space. A developer could make this a private park or even a parking garage, as no one would know the difference from the street.

Here's a link to a picture of the complex:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nzt...37&form=LMLTCC

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:26 PM

So apparently, Canal Street was supposed to be getting a Forever 21. The article says that people think they (or their competitor) will be opening a downtown store soon either way, most likely in 1031 Canal.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...l-street-deal/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
So apparently, Canal Street was supposed to be getting a Forever 21. The article says that people think they (or their competitor) will be opening a downtown store soon either way, most likely in 1031 Canal.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...l-street-deal/
Yeah the article seems to strongly indicate they would prefer being in the new building. These are very positive developments overall.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah the article seems to strongly indicate they would prefer being in the new building. These are very positive developments overall.
Definitely. Any retailer that opens up in the new building will have a lot more traffic due to the buzz around it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 6:49 PM
-

Photos from The Saint Hotel look great.

Thought this permit was cool:
Record 11COM-01734 :

Commercial Renovation (Non-Structural)
Work Location 5600 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115

Record DetailsApplicant:
Geoffrey Lewis
C/O WHOLE FOODS MARKET CORPORATE
AUSTIN, TX, 78703

Contractor:
Jeffery D. Cantin
SOLAR ALTERNATIVES, INC.
2803 St. Philip St
NEW ORLEANS, LA, 70119
Home Phone: 504- 93-1 0954
ELECTRICAL 09LEL-00240

Project Description:
Installation of two (2) vehicle charging stations for electric vehicles within existing parking area.
Owner:
ARABELLA STATION L L C

CO for Gold Seal Lofts:
Work Location 520 S ALEXANDER ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70119
Project Description:
THIS TEMPORARY CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY IS VALID UNTIL JANUARY 8, 2012 AS PER STATE FIRE MARSHAL OFFICE BUILDING PERMIT 11COM-00076
Job Value($):
$3,536,426.00Housing Units:
31Number of Buildings:

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Definitely. Any retailer that opens up in the new building will have a lot more traffic due to the buzz around it.
Any word on the new building?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 9:21 PM
-

New redevelopment on Broad Street planned for abandoned grocery store:

Heres a link to the city planning commission report: It is to include a grocery store, a restaurant, a healthy cooking education facility for Tulane, and a food processing facility on the first floor. Four office space are intended on the second floor.

http://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVie...meta_id=136664

Sorry about the way these photos loaded.

Also got a chance to see some of the new design for Tracage. Changed alot but the HDLC is pushing for them to increase the height of the building to allow for a better design.

Also a micro-distillery is planned for the corner of Bienville and Claiborne avenue.

Heres the link :

http://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVie...meta_id=137022

Items on bidclerk:

1784305 New Orleans, LA Retail 12/12/2011
Description Tenant improvements for a national chain retail clothing store in New Orleans. Completed working plans call for the build-out of a 1,523-square-foot store. The scope of work will include a sales floor, fitting rooms, office space, storage space, an...Click here for complete Project Details

1760763 New Orleans, LA Educational, Multi-Residential 12/12/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a multi-residential education facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a university residence hall. This project is still preliminary and will go out to bid to general contra...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 13, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry about the way these photos loaded.

Also got a chance to see some of the new design for Tracage. Changed alot but the HDLC is pushing for them to increase the height of the building to allow for a better design.
Any additional info on Tracage? I thought the project was dead??

Also, after you paste your print-screened image into Paint, you can crop it

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 1:39 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Increased height? From the HDLC????

Anyway, if they really want a better design and a better integration into the neighborhood, they need to work on the base. The current design.

Quote:
Also a micro-distillery is planned for the corner of Bienville and Claiborne avenue.
Link doesn't work, but it sounds cool. I wonder how they feel about being in the hood? That area is pretty awful right now but hopefully it will improve after it is sandwiched between the Lafitte Greenway and the new hospital.

Quote:
Description Site work and new construction of a multi-residential education facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a university residence hall. This project is still preliminary and will go out to bid to general contra...Click here for complete Project Details
Possibly a trial balloon for Tulane - they plan to build another residence hall right across the street from the Boot. It sounds like a disaster in the making. All I can say is that they better get some good soundproofing.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 1:43 AM

Reply to tennis1400

Items on bidclerk:

1784305 New Orleans, LA Retail 12/12/2011
Description Tenant improvements for a national chain retail clothing store in New Orleans. Completed working plans call for the build-out of a 1,523-square-foot store. The scope of work will include a sales floor, fitting rooms, office space, storage space, an...Click here for complete Project Details

This is at 2001 Magazine Street. It's for a Free People. www.freepeople.com

And this is for the Zimple Quad Residence Hall at Tulane.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 3:52 AM

Quote:
This is at 2001 Magazine Street. It's for a Free People. www.freepeople.com
Is that address the Deity building or the place for the new Thai place?

Let's make a list of new projects/developments in the area and their status while we host the SuperBowl in 2013:

Complete:
Hibernia Building
Joy Theater
Baronne and Poydras corner building restoration/reuse
Loyola Street car
The Saint
Xavier Chapel and Convocation Center
Costco
Civic Theatre
Blue Plate Lofts
Bywater River Park (am I ahead of myself?)
Airport Renovations/clean up

Probable:
Saenger Theater
Tulane Stadium
1-10 widening
Drury Suites Expansion
Canal Street Buffalo Wild Wings

Under Construction:
VA Hospital
UMC Hospital
1031 Canal
South Market District
Iberville Housing Renovations
Lafitte Corridor

Unknown (confirm if you can):
Grand Ballroom at the Convention Center

Thought it would be an interesting time to discuss due to so much spotlight on the city leading up to this event. Your .02?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:27 AM
-

The convention center ballroom has its first event booked for January 2013 so it will have to be done by then.I think Tulane stadium wont be ready til the 2013-2014 season but I guess they could have it finished by the February though.

Other things to add on list off the top of my head.

New Almuni building at LSU MEdical Campus, 201 Magazine Street, Roux House, Mannings, DDAY Museum expansions, building on corner of Magazine and Julia. Apartments on corner of Girod and Carondolet, starting rampart streetcar, Barcadia/Ohm, Park Hyatt on Convention Center, Hyatt Place on Canal, Hotel Modern on Lee Circle. The Maestri Hotel on St Charles Ave. Stevens Garage... sure there are things I missed downtown.

Aredcila, The link for the microbrewery is working for me. It just takes a little while to load.

I also saw that the building housing A Manos on the corner of Tchoupitoulas Street and St Joseph has been approved to construct a gallery on the outside.

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 14, 2011 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:22 AM

Tracage

Great news that it's being restarted but just reading about it had me saying "huh?" Do you have any more details on its viability this time around, what happened to make them think they can actually get it off the ground this time? It would be great if it happened, it seems like the demand for housing in the CBD is only increasing.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 3:16 PM

Hotel LaSalle Conversion

There's an article in CB (http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...r-tax-credits/) that mentions the Hotel LaSalle conversion into apartments and says the city/DDD is against it. I don't have a CB subscription, so I don't know the reasons for their dislike of the project.

I thought it was a good idea. More residences on Canal Street means more people using the businesses there daily. There is no lack of hotels on Canal Street already, and besides, this block is a mass transportation hub and the number of people living adjacent to it should be maximized. Plus, I'm always in favor of more density downtown.

Maybe I'm wrong? What does everyone else think? Could someone with a CB subscription summarize the reasons the city is against this proejct? Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 3:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Great news that it's being restarted but just reading about it had me saying "huh?" Do you have any more details on its viability this time around, what happened to make them think they can actually get it off the ground this time? It would be great if it happened, it seems like the demand for housing in the CBD is only increasing.
I thought it was dead to until yesterday. Ill be sure to share something relevant when I can. The current design was 16 floors but like I said the hdlc is encouraging them to go higher and get a better design. HDLC is trying to get away from the wedding cake model that is so prevalent in the warehouse district.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 3:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
There's an article in CB (http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...r-tax-credits/) that mentions the Hotel LaSalle conversion into apartments and says the city/DDD is against it. I don't have a CB subscription, so I don't know the reasons for their dislike of the project.

I thought it was a good idea. More residences on Canal Street means more people using the businesses there daily. There is no lack of hotels on Canal Street already, and besides, this block is a mass transportation hub and the number of people living adjacent to it should be maximized. Plus, I'm always in favor of more density downtown.

Maybe I'm wrong? What does everyone else think? Could someone with a CB subscription summarize the reasons the city is against this proejct? Thanks!
Did the ddd give any reason they are against it? Seems like you would want something there and the company has done a successful project here recently as well. Curious to know more! Ill make sure my father gets me some information if its on the lhfa agenda today.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:27 PM

VA/LSU Footprint

Ever wondered where exactly those houses went that were moved from the VA/LSU hospital footprint? Well here you go:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...267eb69b9c766e

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations