HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:04 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
downtown has a fab lab called north forge
Don't sic him on them. They don't deserve that.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Thanks for that link!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:38 PM

^ So we know what the OTA in your handle stands for

I put up rabbit ears for a while and I'm impressed with the signal quality... what is lacking here is channel selection. Winnipeg is too far from the border to pull in the US networks, and the local lineup of CBC, Global, Joy TV (or whatever it's called) and, if you have the right kind of antenna, CTV, is kind of weak.

The OTA dish channel lineup is obviously more tempting, but it all seems pretty hobbyist oriented and more techy than I care to deal with. If someone came up with a simple piece of hardware you could use to access all that stuff, they'd get rich in a hurry.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:53 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Rates of car ownership are on the decline so fewer and fewer people are going to need garages going forward - not to mention some seem to think self-driving vehicles are going to go hand-in-hand with more car-sharing. I can work on my bike just fine on the balcony, or the basement or parking lot of my building. As for the yards, that one always gets me. You're better off to live in a walkable area with easy access to parks. People say they need a yard so their kids or pets can run around but most yards are too small to really use for anything and in practice they are just a patch of grass for your dog to shit on.

I meant mototcycles. Have you noticed what has happened to the value of old Japanese bikes? I guess not.

It seems there are two types of people when it comes to entertainment and leisure. Some purchase their entertainment and some entertain themselves by exploring their ingenuity and honing their skills. One needs a place to do that, a place to work and to keep tools and equipment. An apartment is unsuitable for that, especially when wheels are involved.

For an example, watch the Youtube series called Project Binky. It is on a larger scale than what I am into but interesting nonetheless.

I disagree with your assertion that cars are going away. More cars are produced each year than the last, and cars last longer than they used to. The car hobby in general (racing, customizing, etc.) is growing like mad, mostly because of the growing affluence of Asian immigrants (attend a Top Tier event and see for yourself). The membership of the Winnipeg Sports Car Club is also increasing.

That leaves the rest of the washing machine driving public. Do you really see someone in St. James using a car share to drive to Superstore? Would you ride in a robot car on a slippery day like today? No, never, not happening.

The personal car is here to stay. Propulsion may change (compression ignition gas engine coming in 2018), technology will continue to make cars safer, cleaner and more efficient.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Don't sic him on them. They don't deserve that.
Don't worry, I have no desire to be in a shop with a bunch of fumbling millenials. I have done that every day for 15 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I meant mototcycles. Have you noticed what has happened to the value of old Japanese bikes? I guess not.

It seems there are two types of people when it comes to entertainment and leisure. Some purchase their entertainment and some entertain themselves by exploring their ingenuity and honing their skills. One needs a place to do that, a place to work and to keep tools and equipment. An apartment is unsuitable for that, especially when wheels are involved.

For an example, watch the Youtube series called Project Binky. It is on a larger scale than what I am into but interesting nonetheless.
Well, the first bit is fairly arrogant and condescending and the rest quite naive to think that there are no hobbies or skills a person could possibly have that are used in any setting outside of a garage. Sports, art, languages, cooking, writing, musical instruments, programming - just a few skillful hobbies that don't require a garage.

Quote:
I disagree with your assertion that cars are going away. More cars are produced each year than the last, and cars last longer than they used to. The car hobby in general (racing, customizing, etc.) is growing like mad, mostly because of the growing affluence of Asian immigrants (attend a Top Tier event and see for yourself). The membership of the Winnipeg Sports Car Club is also increasing.

That leaves the rest of the washing machine driving public. Do you really see someone in St. James using a car share to drive to Superstore? Would you ride in a robot car on a slippery day like today? No, never, not happening.

The personal car is here to stay. Propulsion may change (compression ignition gas engine coming in 2018), technology will continue to make cars safer, cleaner and more efficient.
Well that's all fine but it's anecdotal as well. Just because tinkering with cars is a growing hobby activity doesn't mean more people are going to own cars in the future. After all things like car-sharing and cycling are also growing very fast and more people than ever before are moving to downtowns across the country instead of place like St James.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle37127643/

https://globalnews.ca/news/3234918/c...wntown-living/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Don't worry, I have no desire to be in a shop with a bunch of fumbling millenials. I have done that every day for 15 years.
they hang out in the office area the older folks are using the tools and building stuff

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Rates of car ownership are on the decline so fewer and fewer people are going to need garages going forward - not to mention some seem to think self-driving vehicles are going to go hand-in-hand with more car-sharing. I can work on my bike just fine on the balcony, or the basement or parking lot of my building. As for the yards, that one always gets me. You're better off to live in a walkable area with easy access to parks. People say they need a yard so their kids or pets can run around but most yards are too small to really use for anything and in practice they are just a patch of grass for your dog to shit on.
Are there any moderate viewpoints on this board anymore? I can live in a house and still see the appeal for some to live in an apartment (less maintenance, possibly closer to work, etc.). One can also live in an apartment or condo and still see the appeal of a house (privacy, more space, investment, customize/reno as you see fit, yard)... I don't get why some on here can't even come close to understanding the other side (not aimed specifically at you Windy). There are pros and cons to both, like with most things in life...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:40 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Are there any moderate viewpoints on this board anymore? I can live in a house and still see the appeal for some to live in an apartment (less maintenance, possibly closer to work, etc.). One can also live in an apartment or condo and still see the appeal of a house (privacy, more space, investment, customize/reno as you see fit, yard)... I don't get why some on here can't even come close to understanding the other side (not aimed specifically at you Windy). There are pros and cons to both, like with most things in life...
I merely said apartments are not suitable for some people. Is that not a moderate viewpoint?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ So we know what the OTA in your handle stands for

I put up rabbit ears for a while and I'm impressed with the signal quality... what is lacking here is channel selection. Winnipeg is too far from the border to pull in the US networks, and the local lineup of CBC, Global, Joy TV (or whatever it's called) and, if you have the right kind of antenna, CTV, is kind of weak.

The OTA dish channel lineup is obviously more tempting, but it all seems pretty hobbyist oriented and more techy than I care to deal with. If someone came up with a simple piece of hardware you could use to access all that stuff, they'd get rich in a hurry.
One antenna is facing S/SW grabbing CTV, broadcasting directly south of the city, and CITY, based in Elie, which are both still VHF. It also grabs UHF channel Hope TV on 35 which is religious television station that broadcasts religious programming 24 hours a day. Bleh, even God (should he/she/it exist) wouldn't mind the occasional National Geographic every now and then ya know? The other antenna, pointed directly at Portage and Main, grabs CBC English and French, and Global HD and SD, all now UHF. I used to be able to grab KNRR and other US channels from time to time but is a pretty rare occurrence this last while. I wish any of these stations, notwithstanding what CKND is doing with its SD channel, would start using their sub channels, especially CBC which could flood the airways with Canadian documentaries.

I can dream.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I merely said apartments are not suitable for some people. Is that not a moderate viewpoint?
You should see what some of the tenants try to do in the parking lot of a buddies rental block, think Trailer Park Boys meets Monster Garage.

Last edited by rrskylar; Dec 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
You should see what some of the tenants try to do in the parking lot of a buddies rental block, think Trailer Park Boys meets Monster Garage.
When I was in my first year of college we lived on the top floor of an old block on Wolsely. On the first or second floor below lived someone that liked bringing folks home after the bars closed.

In the basement below that lived a fellow named Reggie Mental, he had a popular punk band called Playground X. He wanted to sleep after he got home from work at the same time.

If the partying went on for long he would wail on the radiator pipes with a hammer whilst screaming for them to shut up. It resonated through the entire building. He was good at screaming too as he did it for a living. It worked every time - he did sound quite scary, but he really was a nice fellow.

That and the guy beside us that beat his girlfriend made us buy a house and move out. That was my taste of apartment living.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Well you actually said "Apartments are not suitable for most people." Whereas I would argue only some people truly need houses, garages and yards. I know it may seem like I'm making a fuss over semantics but we have an obsession with single-family homes and a huge stigma against apartment living that really doesn't do us any favours by promoting urban sprawl and low-density. Some people will want their houses and that's fine but we don't need to stigmatize multi-family residential the way we do.

Also the loud, drunk and violent neighbours can usually be avoided by moving to a higher-income building. Used to get that all the time until I moved. It's no different with houses, if you buy a house on Selkirk ave you're going to have some interesting neighbours.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Well you actually said "Apartments are not suitable for most people." Whereas I would argue only some people truly need houses, garages and yards.
So what do you think the ratio is in Winnipeg for house/apartment living? 100 to 1? 200 to 1? 500 to 1?

There is a reason for that. And it is not due to some "stigma". Apartment living is just plain awful, for many reasons.

My point is, my good man, is that is not seen as desireable here. You may like it - that's great!

Quote:
If you buy a house on Selkirk ave you're going to have some interesting neighbours.
I doubt that many owners on Selkirk live in their houses.

Last edited by Riverman; Dec 6, 2017 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:10 AM
BANNED

Looks like UBER is coming with EPC endorsing the new taxi cab bylaw. The sooner the better, welcome to choice!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:12 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I'm as "excited" about Uber as I'm excited about globalist corporation G4S administering the (Greater) Winnipeg Parking Authority.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I'm as "excited" about Uber as I'm excited about globalist corporation G4S administering the (Greater) Winnipeg Parking Authority.
Come on choice is always good and if it gets the city’s cab companies to clean up their act all the better.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:09 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Uber drivers complain of not getting paid proper wages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbms9bCcqUg

Customers complain of Uber drivers stealing their belongings, such as cellular phones, and not giving them back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO4c09-oDwM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Uber drivers complain of not getting paid proper wages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbms9bCcqUg

Customers complain of Uber drivers stealing their belongings, such as cellular phones, and not giving them back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO4c09-oDwM
Taxi drivers complain of not getting paid and being verbally abused by cutomers

Customers complain of being sexually assaulted by taxi drivers

Everyone complains about something, i'll take a vetted Uber driver over a stinky, dinky cab any day!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:23 AM

Quote:
So what do you think the ratio is in Winnipeg for house/apartment living? 100 to 1? 200 to 1? 500 to 1?

There is a reason for that. And it is not due to some "stigma". Apartment living is just plain awful, for many reasons.

My point is, my good man, is that is not seen as desireable here. You may like it - that's great!

I doubt that many owners on Selkirk live in their houses.
What are these many reasons exactly? I live in a concrete building and I've never heard my neighbours. My hydro costs next to nothing. I have access to a pool and a gym full of brand new equipment that I almost certainly wouldn't own myself. I never have to shovel or mow grass. If a pipe bursts, somebody else takes care of it. I may pay for it indirectly over time but I don't have to worry about up-front maintenance costs. My landlord bought me new appliances last year, I didn't have to go out any replace them myself. I don't much care if I have a garage or a yard. If I want green space I am in easy walking distance to 3 parks, a community centre and the river trail (and any other amenity you could want), plus a large balcony overlooking the Assiniboine. I even have a garden plot close by. What's the downside? What's so hellish about it?

I mean yeah, if you live in some dirt cheap dive with paper-thin walls, it sucks. So don't live in one of those buildings. If you live somewhere like that you likely don't have the finances to buy a house anyway so it's a moot point.

Last edited by windypeg; Dec 7, 2017 at 4:34 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan