HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 1:55 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Also now that I think about it, lol do we still need to twin TCH between Highway 69 and future meet-up with Maley Drive? We only need to replace all the traffic-light intersections and roundabouts with interchanges then twin from the meet-up to Markstay.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
If we had no outside food coming in, we would have a crisis. However, we likely can supply around 50% of the food that is grown here to us. For example, potatoes; around harvest time, and for months after that, I see and buy local potatoes in the various grocery stores and even Walmart.
I recall years ago it being a lot closer to only 10% of our food needs could be supplied locally. I wish I had a copy of the article so I could cite it but the situation has definitely improved. I wouldn't say it around 50%... I would guess it is closer to 25 - 30% but definitely growing, and more quickly with each year. What is better is the increasing variety of food stuffs that are available locally.

Dryden is the only centre in the Northwest that has the ability to completely support itself with local food sources.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 2:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
I recall years ago it being a lot closer to only 10% of our food needs could be supplied locally. I wish I had a copy of the article so I could cite it but the situation has definitely improved. I wouldn't say it around 50%... I would guess it is closer to 25 - 30% but definitely growing, and more quickly with each year. What is better is the increasing variety of food stuffs that are available locally.

Dryden is the only centre in the Northwest that has the ability to completely support itself with local food sources.
The pasture from Wabigoon River to Dryden looks impressive.

Why is that percentage increasing though? More efficient farming, or simply global warming?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 3:04 AM
I am a typical

More efficient farming and more people willing to actually put the effort into it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 6:41 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
More efficient farming and more people willing to actually put the effort into it.
Are the Mennonites buying farms up there too?

I know we're getting many who are coming from down south to buy farms in our area.

It makes sense, as there's no cheap farmland available in the southern areas of the province.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 6:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If that’s the case, that’s a good start. Lands are starting to be efficiently utilized.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 6:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Nope. The section between Azilda and Chelmsford is expected to be done next year.
To be honest, I think Sudbury is pretty much finished for roads expansion after that's complete.

Just maintenance now, really. I can't think of any road that needs the capacity increase that can reasonably be accomplished.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 7:39 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post

I know we're getting many who are coming from down south to buy farms in our area.

It makes sense, as there's no cheap farmland available in the southern areas of the province.
Not that I know of, but I'm sure we'll see them eventually. There might be some further west of here.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 8:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Also now that I think about it, lol do we still need to twin TCH between Highway 69 and future meet-up with Maley Drive? We only need to replace all the traffic-light intersections and roundabouts with interchanges then twin from the meet-up to Markstay.
Well, if the Ontario government ever gets on it, Maley is planned to be extended to the new 4 lanes of highway 17 to the east. The next phases will see 4 laning both ways to Falconbridge Rd and to MR 35.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
To be honest, I think Sudbury is pretty much finished for roads expansion after that's complete.

Just maintenance now, really. I can't think of any road that needs the capacity increase that can reasonably be accomplished.
Falconbirdge Rd/Skead Rd, an dothers that go from Garson to the Airport and to Capreol. I am also thinking twinning the Big Nickel Mine Rd would make sense too. With that one, if they were to punch a route north to the new Maley Dr, it would really make it good.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I know the Mennonites have moved to the Massey area. I wouldn't doubt that many Mennonite and Amish families would move north due to the available land.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:41 AM

Quote:
I know the Mennonites have moved to the Massey area. I wouldn't doubt that many Mennonite and Amish families would move north due to the available land.
In Northeastern Ontario, I know that quite a few of them have moved to along the North Shore of Lake Huron. I've seen a lot in the area around Echo Bay but also in the farming areas to the East of there all the way to at least Massey.

Near me, there are some in and around the Matheson area. But most from what I can tell are near the intersection of Hwys 11 and 101.

There are quite a number in Temiskaming District as that area is known for agriculture. I go to Aidie Creek Gardens near Englehart every year and there are always Mennonites working there who live nearby. I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few all the way down to Temiskaming Shores but I'm not sure which towns or areas they mainly live it or if they are scattered.

I'm not sure about between Sudbury and North Bay as I haven't seen any evidence so maybe someone else knows.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Lol, how can you guys tell whether or not they're Mennonite? Horse carriages on the road?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Lol, how can you guys tell whether or not they're Mennonite? Horse carriages on the road?
The big giveaway tends to be their style of dressing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I'm not sure about between Sudbury and North Bay as I haven't seen any evidence so maybe someone else knows.
I've seen some that are buying up farms between Sturgeon Falls and St. Charles. There's large chunks of fairly productive land there.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Falconbirdge Rd/Skead Rd, an dothers that go from Garson to the Airport and to Capreol. I am also thinking twinning the Big Nickel Mine Rd would make sense too. With that one, if they were to punch a route north to the new Maley Dr, it would really make it good.
Given how long it took to get Maley and out to Chelmsford done, I'm pretty sure those are not even on the radar at this point - the road to the airport and Big Nickel Mine road aren't really congested.

IMO at this point, Sudbury should focus on maintaining what it has. It's all and nice to have new fancy roads, but the city is notorious for building 'the next new thing' and forgetting the basics.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
The big giveaway tends to be their style of dressing.
That’s a good one too.
Quote:
Given how long it took to get Maley and out to Chelmsford done, I'm pretty sure those are not even on the radar at this point - the road to the airport and Big Nickel Mine road aren't really congested.

IMO at this point, Sudbury should focus on maintaining what it has. It's all and nice to have new fancy roads, but the city is notorious for building 'the next new thing' and forgetting the basics.
Spend some on road maintenance (because potholes are apparently notorious there too), and the rest on public transit improvement. I’ve heard good things about Sudbury’s public transit system. I think it’s possible to make it even better (read: more frequent service around downtown core and Laurentian U, even on weekends).

Ps: I find Sudbury similar to Ottawa to some degree.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:

It is hard to maintain what you have when it wasn't designed for the type of traffic it is getting. That is why Maley was so crucial. It takes the ore trucks off of Lasalle and the Kingsway; 2 roads that were not designed for constant heavy truck use.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That’s a good one too.

Spend some on road maintenance (because potholes are apparently notorious there too), and the rest on public transit improvement. I’ve heard good things about Sudbury’s public transit system. I think it’s possible to make it even better (read: more frequent service around downtown core and Laurentian U, even on weekends).

Ps: I find Sudbury similar to Ottawa to some degree.
I own a 4x4 truck for many reasons, the potholes are one of them.

Part of the problem with fixing some roads is that they were never designed for the type of traffic and the amount. Now that it is done, they could repave the streets and it should last more than a few years.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
I've seen some that are buying up farms between Sturgeon Falls and St. Charles. There's large chunks of fairly productive land there.
I'm not at all surprised and thanks for the info!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario