HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually it was 1995. Despite what some Winnipeggers like to tell people when they travel elsewhere, it is not -40 in Winnipeg for six months of the year and with an average daytime high on October 31 of 6°, snow on the ground at Halloween is rather uncommon. Halloween 2017 was unusual as it was the first October 31 since 2003 that it failed to break the 0° mark.

Some snowfall is usually seen in October, but it almost always melts within 24 hours. Lasting snow cover on average arrives during the second or third week of November. In 2017, we have had snow cover since November 4.
There was snow on the ground October 31, 2006:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=
I know because I froze my feet that night taking my kid out for Halloween.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
There was snow on the ground October 31, 2006: I know because I froze my feet that night taking my kid out for Halloween.
I just don't remember that and I've handed out candy for over 20 years. Perhaps the snow cover was just at the airport and in some of the outer suburbs? I live near the river and close to downtown and it is often several degrees warmer where I am than the temperature readings given for YWG, particularly at night when it often can be 5° or more warmer. It is very noticeable in the fall as YWG will register frost often several weeks before I have it here. Urban heat island of course, but I also think the river helps to bump up the temp slightly in adjacent areas.

Anyways, okay, but that still means that since 1995, there's been snow on the ground only once.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I just don't remember that and I've handed out candy for over 20 years. Perhaps the snow cover was just at the airport and in some of the outer suburbs? I live near the river and close to downtown and it is often several degrees warmer where I am than the temperature readings given for YWG, particularly at night when it often can be 5° or more warmer. It is very noticeable in the fall as YWG will register frost often several weeks before I have it here. Urban heat island of course, but I also think the river helps to bump up the temp slightly in adjacent areas.

Anyways, okay, but that still means that since 1995, there's been snow on the ground only once.
Strathcona, Ashburn, then Stiles, Craig and Wolseley.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:48 PM

I would think maybe Victoria before SSK, but I don't see either happening. Majority of last 10 years has been uneven teams, so adding 11 in QC wouldn't rush them to balance too much. There's just no reason for the Riders to allow another SK team, and I'm not sure SSK would even want one.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
OK. So over-the-air HDTV is free, but the set-up costs include buying a house.
I have bought the house already, and I am far too young and active to live in an apartment.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
Does the weather affect the signal?
I am no expert, saving this learning for retirement. OTA in Wpg seems to know quite a bit.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
I've got an interior antenna (mohu leaf) on the inside of an exterior wall near the ceiling (probably about 15ft off the ground) at my place in Wolseley. Usually Global and CBC come in fine. as for CTV, some days there's nothing, some days it's crystal clear! weird. does the weather affect the signal?
Got tired of paying for cable for my mother in law in a nursing home (she doesn't watch much TV) so we put up a real cheap HDTV antenna (~$20.) suction cups and antenna mounted on a south facing window CBC, CBCF, Global, Citi, some religious station all come in fine, actually a better HD picture than I get at home with MTS. CTV is iffy at best but three watchable stations for free!~

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I have bought the house already, and I am far too young and active to live in an apartment.

Many local pro athletes live in apartments/condos and they seem plenty young and active?!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:24 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Many local pro athletes live in apartments/condos and they seem plenty young and active?!
Active means one hell of a lot more than driving to a gym.

I need a place to work on my cars, bikes and metal fab projects. I'll go to an apartment when I'm closer to dead.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:26 PM

^ So you need a garage is what you're saying.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

No. We also have a growing family and we both garden. Apartments are not suitable for most people.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I am no expert, saving this learning for retirement. OTA in Wpg seems to know quite a bit.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/129-...es-ota-77.html

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:50 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Thanks for that link!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Apartments are not suitable for most people.
That's quite a sweeping pronouncement. How do you know this?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The fact that most people live in houses?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:18 PM

^ But how do you get from there to 'apartments are not suitable for most people'?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:34 PM

SK as a whole is one of the CFL's strongest markets. The question is with about 150,000 citizen in the metro region would Saskatoon been able to draw in enough support compared to Halifax. It really feels like there is a market potential there but the CFL would likely follow Halifax with Quebec City. Heck Quebec City would likely be there already if they hadn't dumped all their government funding into building an NHL arena hoping to one day get the Atlanta 3.0 franchise to relocate there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:59 PM

^ I know we're wandering off topic here but I couldn't resist.

I think Halifax is tempting to the CFL for some pretty major reasons... it brings an entire region into the league's footprint, and it leads to a balanced number of teams which is excellent for scheduling purposes. Plus the talent pool of players can arguably support one more team without much trouble.

An 11th team would not really offer those benefits... at that point you're basically just adding another team to a region already represented in the league, and there aren't really any tempting locations. Quebec City and Southern Ontario (either suburban Toronto or an outlying city like London/Kitchener-Waterloo) have appeal, but I don't see them as chomping at the bit for a team. Then you start getting into whether it's worth the hassle to have an odd number of teams again, whether there are enough players to support another expansion team, etc.

I think once Halifax gets a team that'll be it for a long time.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
No. We also have a growing family and we both garden. Apartments are not suitable for most people.
Rates of car ownership are on the decline so fewer and fewer people are going to need garages going forward - not to mention some seem to think self-driving vehicles are going to go hand-in-hand with more car-sharing. I can work on my bike just fine on the balcony, or the basement or parking lot of my building. As for the yards, that one always gets me. You're better off to live in a walkable area with easy access to parks. People say they need a yard so their kids or pets can run around but most yards are too small to really use for anything and in practice they are just a patch of grass for your dog to shit on.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Active means one hell of a lot more than driving to a gym.

I need a place to work on my cars, bikes and metal fab projects. I'll go to an apartment when I'm closer to dead.
downtown has a fab lab called north forge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan