HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 2:00 PM

Got the inside scoop from my best friend in NY last night that Michael Kors is "most likely" opening a full line store on Main Street in Park City some time next year. The brand is aiming to open 140 new stores in 2014. Kinda cool, I wonder if that will start bringing some more luxury brands to Main Street.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 6:21 PM

I hope not. I work at Macy's and honestly.. I don't understand why we sell so much of his ugly crap, especially when there's a standalone Michael Kors across the street. I don't want Park City to sell out like that. Main Street deserves local charm. Otherwise it would just be another Aspen.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:01 PM

John...John...John, Ugly Crap...! Admittedly, I haven't been to Macy's, other than for a quick in and out specific purchase in years. So, I don't know what his Macy's lines look like, but Michael Kor's upscale lines are very highly thought of.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
Got the inside scoop from my best friend in NY last night that Michael Kors is "most likely" opening a full line store on Main Street in Park City some time next year. The brand is aiming to open 140 new stores in 2014. Kinda cool, I wonder if that will start bringing some more luxury brands to Main Street.
Although, I wonder about opening so many stores. It seems like he's just going to risk being over exposed. Maybe he's trying to become the next Ralph Lauren. I think Park City is long over due for certain luxury brands on Main. Much better that than another T-shirt shop

I do think that most of the well heeled tourists who frequent Park City are often looking for time efficient shopping excursions. People appreciate finding a familiar, high end label that they have experienced previous success with. A lot of your visitors to Park City don't have the time or patience to discover hidden local gems.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Although, I wonder about opening so many stores. It seems like he's just going to risk being over exposed. Maybe he's trying to become the next Ralph Lauren. I think Park City is long over due for certain luxury brands on Main. Much better that than another T-shirt shop

I do think that most of the well heeled tourists who frequent Park City are often looking for time efficient shopping excursions. People appreciate finding a familiar, high end label that they have experienced previous success with. A lot of your visitors to Park City don't have the time or patience to discover hidden local gems.
I should mention the 140 figure includes European stores and they are expanding a lot there so its not as drastic as it sounds.

That said, John, I can agree with you on some level. Michael Kors products are broken into four main lines (in ascending order of exclusivity) - MK Outlet (ick - made for outlet DO NOT BUY), MICHAEL Michael Kors, KORS Michael Kors (this line is shoes only), and Michael Kors Collection. The majority of MK product produced & sold is MICHAEL Michael Kors, and for the most part I would consider it an entry level luxury product - mid-high range quality leathers, lots of coated canvas pieces, metallics/pvc, not hand made, made in China, etc. The Collection stuff is typically a better leather and is usually pieced in Italy. There are only 5 or 6 Collection only stores in the US - Beverly Hills, Americana Manhasset, Michigan Avenue, Fifth Avenue etc. That said, the "Lifestyle Stores" as they are called comprise the majority of MK retail outlets and offer a mixture of the upper three lines, though dominated by MICHAEL Michael Kors. Some of these "Liftestyle" boutiques in more visible areas though offer a greater amount of Collection product than, say, City Creek. Robertson Blvd., Caesars Palace, Rockefeller Center, Beverly Center, Aventura (Miami), Union Square and so forth fall in that category. I could see Park City being in that mix given the amount of exposure it receives with celebrities etc. during Sundance. But yeah, MK product should be taken for what it is - great styles (most of the time) at so so-to-good quality - nothing to be compared with Prada, LV, Valextra, Goyard, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta etc.

That said, I think a small mix of luxury stores would be really great for PC and could be easily done without compromising the local flavor. IMO.

Last edited by UTAZLoVer; Apr 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 5:19 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Sounds slightly similar to Kenneth Cole, with the different levels of lines. Kenneth Cole Reaction, and Kenneth Cole (the upper line).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:27 PM

Most high-end fashion brands do that:

Ralph Lauren Polo (entry level). Black Label. Purple Label.

Burberry Prorsum - Base line for other brands.
Burberry London - Heritage outerwear 'wear to work' items, including business wear.
Burberry Brit - The most accessible of the Burberry brands, with entry level pricing.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
I think national brands ought to mainly go into the Main St. Mall in PC or whatever building they end up building to replace it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:58 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Construction of Loveland Living Planet Aquarium in full swing
http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/5...raper.html.csp
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I think national brands ought to mainly go into the Main St. Mall in PC or whatever building they end up building to replace it.
Good point. I wonder what the current status is with that mall replacement proposal?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:42 PM

pics of the aquarium construction

I didn't realize that the aquarium is on the west side of I-15. It still is not a great location.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:01 PM

With the Aquarium being on the West Side of I-15, is it closer to Trax or Front Runner... ie, walking distance?
I don't know the area down there really because I make a point of avoiding it. However, I'm sure I'll venture down for the Aquarium once it's complete. Although, if it's a pain in the ass to get there, I might just sooner go to Shedd Aquarium in Chicago than go to Draper. At least there would be other things to do.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 11:36 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Awesome development.......shitty location.
Sure ours might be bigger then Denver's, but Denver's is better just for the simple fact that it's downtown and ours isn't.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
With the Aquarium being on the West Side of I-15, is it closer to Trax or Front Runner... ie, walking distance?
I don't know the area down there really because I make a point of avoiding it. However, I'm sure I'll venture down for the Aquarium once it's complete. Although, if it's a pain in the ass to get there, I might just sooner go to Shedd Aquarium in Chicago than go to Draper. At least there would be other things to do.
The Aquarium is closer to Frontrunner and is about 1.5 miles from the station, with a very busy street to cross.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 12:19 PM

Sounds to me like it would make sense to have a scheduled shuttle from the station to the acquarium at certain peak times.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:49 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Sounds to me like it would make sense to have a scheduled shuttle from the station to the acquarium at certain peak times.
That would make sense, but you have to take into account the overall thinking of those in charge at the Aquarium. They built it in a horrible car only access location to begin with, I doubt they care about providing a shuttle to transit.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 4:57 AM

I have to tell you I know that this is not the most popular position, but the aquarium tried to be down town and had amazing plans there, but after a few years moving to sandy I think they realized that having easy access by car make more sense for their target demographic. Young families in mini vans. Taking a van to this new site is just easier than driving to trax of front runner, paying more to get the kids there, hope front runner is on time there and back. I was hoping the Sandy location wouldn't be successful and SLC original plan would have come back but I think at this time the suburbs won this one

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 11:16 AM

Scapernerd, I'm afraid you and Future Mayor are both right. Well, at least we're getting a beautiful acquarium. Perhaps, they will at least have the vision to create a certain synergy surrounding the acquarium. With the phenominal amount of children within the surrounding Wasatch Metro, it would make sense to establish a few family-centric destinations at the same site.

Lee, have you or anyone else heard the latest on plans surrounding the REAL Stadium? The new ownership seemed to be on board with some major Phase II type upgrades with a lifestyle center and adequate parking.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 1:19 PM

Major Film Studio Development Reaches Milestone Agreement - Implications for Park City are huge.

Quinn's Junction studio partners with state-run Chinese firm
The film industry in China will be represented at Park City complex

Jay Hamburger, The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/news/ci_23...n-chinese-firm

The developer planning to build a film studio at Quinn's Junction on Monday indicated it had reached an agreement with a Beijing firm to have a Chinese presence at the studio complex, something that they hope will advance the industry on both sides of the Pacific.

Quinn's Junction Partnership, the developer of the complex, expects to partner with a firm known as National Film Capital of China. The firm is described as a state-run company that manages funds. The announcement was made through a release on the letterhead of National Film Capital Co., Ltd. The letterhead is written in both English and Chinese.

The announcement indicates the two sides "have established an agreement to explore specific areas of strategic partnership." It also says the partnership would be National Film Capital of China's first of its nature with a film studio in the U.S. According to the announcement, an agreement could involve a National Film Capital of China representation office at the studio and a role in setting the strategy for what is being called an International Film School on the premises.

The sides are also in discussions about increasing incentives to bring filmmakers to the studio at Quinn's Junction.

"We look forward to exploration of all areas of strategic cooperation with Park City Film Studios. We see a fine opportunity to combine our respective strategic interests in particular areas of interest," the chairman of National Film Capital of China, Bu-ting Yang, said in a prepared statement released as part of the announcement.

Greg Ericksen, whose family trust owns Quinn's Junction Partnership, said in an interview National Film Capital of China will open an office at the studio complex to represent the Chinese film industry. The release says China has become the world's second largest box office for movies.

"This is a real opportunity for everybody," Ericksen said.

Ericksen said the Chinese firm will not manage the studio. Raleigh Studios, a Hollywood studio, has long been identified as the anchor of the project. Ericksen on Monday declined to discuss Raleigh Studios in the context of the announcement involving the Chinese firm.

A representative of Raleigh Studios was not immediately available for comment. A Beijing-based representative listed as a contact on the announcement did not immediately respond to an e-mail message seeking comment.

Mayor Dana Williams on Monday said he had not been briefed on the agreement. Williams has attempted to strengthen relations between Park City and China, traveling to China twice during his time in office. During his most recent trip, in 2012, Williams spent part of his time promoting Park City as a tourism destination.

Ericksen last spring narrowly won an approval from Park City leaders to annex into Park City a little more than 29 acres of land for the studio complex. The acreage sits at the southwest corner of the U.S. 40-S.R. 248 interchange east of Prospector. The studio complex is the key part of the 374,000-square-foot project. A hotel, entertainment center and a digital-media center are also expected to be built as part of the project.

Ericksen said at the time of the approval Raleigh Studios had signed a 20-year lease with a renewal option after the first 20 years. He also said at the time Raleigh Studios had "significant equity" in the project.

He said on Monday a groundbreaking date has not been set.

Last edited by delts145; May 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 11:35 AM

Central Metro

The party’s on for eBay’s new Utah digs

http://vvbs.net

Tech » Company to celebrate move into versatile center as it solidifies commitment to Utah.

(Kim Raff | The Salt Lake Tribune) Shiv Agarwal a visiting eBay employee from California takes a picture of the mountain view that can be seen from all sides of eBay's new green certified building in Draper on May 2, 2013.

By Vince Horiuchi | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...raper.html.csp

Online auction house eBay has officially moved into its new data center in Draper and will host a grand opening Friday to celebrate its new 240,000-square-foot facility.

The two-building campus, which includes a separate one-story building just for employee amenities, is at 583 W. eBay Way (near I-15 and 12900 South). A ceremony is set for 10:30 a.m. with Gov. Gary Herbert and eBay CEO John Donahoe scheduled to attend.

PhotosView photo gallery (20 photos) Join the Discussion
Post a Comment
The new set of buildings replaces eBay’s older five-structure campus, a mile away. The main three-story building on the new campus is where employees work, while the amenities building will include a cafe, fitness room and a 400-seat auditorium. The property, on 36 acres of land, also has open spaces, common meeting areas for employees and fields for activities. Employees began moving in over the past month.

"The benefits allow us to put all of our teammates into one area to interact," said Scott Murray, vice president of customer service. "Before, it was all mixed. Any one of these groups could be sitting in one of the five buildings. This has helped overall communication and the team spirit."

The company employs about 1,800 workers in Draper, one of three customer-service centers it operates internationally, including two in Ireland. There are three types of work being done — customer service, technology development for software tools, and operations that include human resources and the legal and finance departments.

The campus also is LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold Certified, a standard for buildings and homes that leave a minimal carbon footprint.

"We designed the campus with LEED standards in mind," Murray said, "from environmental sustainability to construction products that are recycled in an appropriate way."

The Governor’s Office of Economic Development approved a $38.2 million tax incentive for eBay if it built its campus in Draper. In exchange, eBay promises to create 2,200 jobs by 2031.

"We announced our continued commitment to the state and to the talent that is available to us here," Murray said... (read full story)...
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...raper.html.csp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West