HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:47 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG-Urbanist View Post
The impact of its loss was relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

This way of thinking is the reason North American cities have lost so many of its heritage buildings, specifically on the prairies. Yes, maybe individually, these buildings have little significance. However as they slowly get demolished, there is a significant impact.

Yes, I fully understand wood structures do not last as long as brick or concrete and are more costly to maintain. The problem is, there are no consequences for property owners who choose not to maintain these buildings. They are left to deteriorate to the point, where there is often no other choice but to tear them down.

If building owners carried out proper preventative maintenance programs, there would be no need for these buildings to be torn down in the first place.
I'll continue to defend my position on the El Mirador all day long. I am fine with you disagreeing with me, but my perspective is based on my experience dancing with these types of buildings.

Your comment about enforcing landowners to 'maintain' their buildings is a different issue that transcends into landowner rights and legislation. And I don't think we'll see this change all that much in the near future, regardless of what party is in power.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:50 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Honestly not a bad looking 6 storey low rise apartment. Building a few more of those scattered throughout the warehouse district, throw in some apartment towers here and there and call it a day.
Exactly. Just like you see in Dallas, Denver, SLC, Nashville, etc. Nothing wrong with this built form in our downtown whatsoever. The land economics are vastly different vs. Toronto, Vancouver, Mississauga, etc.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:56 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
At the same event, it is very clear that concrete high-rise construction in the Downtown is not particularly viable and that the delta is 'significant' for that to change.
Rents need to breach $3-3.25/SF threshold. However, biggest issue is increasing operating costs that net out the current rent growth. Add in still stubbornly high construction prices and the math doesn't pencil out.

Now, in 2024 I expect to see construction prices moderate and rent rates increase given the overall low vacancy rate and population growth which will establish a better economic environment to start looking at building towers.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Now we find out that trudeau fly's into Alberta and doesn't tell anyone in the Alberta government that hes coming to Alberta, then proceeds to lie and complain on camera that the Alberta govt won't meet with him....WOW. This guy's a pathological lying asshatski.

The UCP holding fast on spending is financially responsible.
The UCP had full knowledge the Prime Minister would be Edmonton. They have staff in Ottawa and opened an office there to speak with the Federal Government and officials in the Ministry's. More bull shit from Smith and Nixon and Black Star you are blindly buying the shit UCP are selling - your have lost any credibility you once had.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Rents need to breach $3-3.25/SF threshold. However, biggest issue is increasing operating costs that net out the current rent growth. Add in still stubbornly high construction prices and the math doesn't pencil out.

Now, in 2024 I expect to see construction prices moderate and rent rates increase given the overall low vacancy rate and population growth which will establish a better economic environment to start looking at building towers.
Just returned from Austin, TX. The whole downtown which was very much like Edmonton is littered with cranes.

Something is not right with the fundamentals of Edmonton's economy that makes it very unprofitable to build high rise (decent looking I should add) while everywhere in North America is witnessing resurgence of urban developments.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:57 PM
Community Guy

B&A

Project Approval Spotlight! We're thrilled to announce that the Canada Lands Company Village at Griesbach Northeast Corner Plan received unanimous approval from the Edmonton City Council this week! ️ A BIG congratulations to Kairi P. and the Canada Lands Company / Société Immobilière du Canada team for all your hard work and leadership!

This project marks a pivotal moment in the evolution of this vibrant urban village, paving the way for the dynamic and diverse residential development known as The Northeast Corner and completing the overall Village at Griesbach Neighbourhood.

The Griesbach Collaborative is a joint effort between Canada Lands Company, the Griesbach community and our consultant team, reflecting the shared vision of residents and stakeholders alike. B&A Studios advanced overall project leadership and a highly collaborative, inclusive and innovative planning, design and engagement program that sparked the hearts and minds of the community.

We extend our heartfelt gratitude to the community for their unwavering support and active involvement throughout the master planning and plan amendment process. This milestone achievement is a testament to the dedication and hard work of the entire team, including our valued consulting partners:

- Katie Soles – (Soles and Company) – Community Engagement
- Toole Design Group – Transportation and Mobility
- Kasian Architecture Interior Design and Planning – Architectural Services
- Scatliff + Miller + Murray Inc. – Landscape Architecture and Open Space
- Level Playing Field – Accessibility
- Teneya Gwin (Eleven Eleven Consulting) – Indigenous Engagement
- Select Engineering Consultants Ltd. – Civil Engineering and Servicing
- Intelligence House Ltd. – Residential Market Assessment
- Avison Young | Canada Young – Commercial Market Assessment
- RWDI – Environmental Noise Assessment

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...3647892922370/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
The UCP had full knowledge the Prime Minister would be Edmonton. They have staff in Ottawa and opened an office there to speak with the Federal Government and officials in the Ministry's. More bull shit from Smith and Nixon and Black Star you are blindly buying the shit UCP are selling - your have lost any credibility you once had.
Wrong....do some reading...maybe watch some video's.

Smith said.....

“Instead of attacking our province, Mr. trudeau could have informed our government about his visit to Alberta,” she wrote.

It’s always us, never him. Maybe we experience things differently?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Wrong....do some reading...maybe watch some video's.

Smith said.....

“Instead of attacking our province, Mr. trudeau could have informed our government about his visit to Alberta,” she wrote.

It’s always us, never him. Maybe we experience things differently?
And I read that he gave them a days notice before that he was coming.

But don't be naïve. Smith doesn't like anything to do with the Feds so them giving us money wouldn't make her jump to be at that press conference, even if she did get the heads up. This fits her anti-Feds narrative to a T to say something like this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
And I read that he gave them a days notice before that he was coming.

But don't be naïve. Smith doesn't like anything to do with the Feds so them giving us money wouldn't make her jump to be at that press conference, even if she did get the heads up. This fits her anti-Feds narrative to a T to say something like this.
Nixon on CBC the other day seemed less bummed about "not being invited" and more miffed about not getting the same amount of money than BC... which is an odd way to complain seeing how this program is reliant on cities applying for money. So it sounds like the issue is Alberta cities not wanting to participate as much as other cities in Canada?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 10:45 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post
Just returned from Austin, TX. The whole downtown which was very much like Edmonton is littered with cranes.

Something is not right with the fundamentals of Edmonton's economy that makes it very unprofitable to build high rise (decent looking I should add) while everywhere in North America is witnessing resurgence of urban developments.
Entirely different economy, government and climate down there that will lead to way more high rise construction then here. My guess is that construction costs there are maybe half of here, for starters.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 2:57 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post

Not particularly correct. In fact for the most of the US it is 'pens down' on many new projects as the economics are not that favourable, which is parallel to what's happening in Canada (higher cost of debt and construction costs). Plus our downtown has seen plenty of activity with Mercury Block, Mercury Block 2, Leston Holdings, Westrich projects, The Edward, Falcon I, The Parks, Stationlands and others recently completed or underway.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:37 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 501214990-002
Description: Exterior Alteration, Demolition
Plan NB1 Blk 4 Lots 173-174
Applicant: 607816 ALBERTA LTD., HENRY
Create Date: 2024-02-19T20:52:09Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 7:33 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 9:08 PM
Community Guy

Used with permission.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 10:54 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Not sure which site you scared this from as the link is not provided ... by you. Is their migration from within Canada or international or both?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 3:34 PM
Community Guy

NAIT Student Housing - Development Partner

https://nait.bonfirehub.ca/opportunities/75811

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 6:40 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 7:36 PM
Community Guy

Why is Edmonton's condo market so weird?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...eird-1.7127318

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:27 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton