HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:07 PM

Wow. Didn't get exactly what they think they deserve so threw a tantrum. Sound like Hillary.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Wow. Didn't get exactly what they think they deserve so threw a tantrum. Sound like Hillary.
Yeah, this discussion needs US Politics.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Yeah, this discussion needs US Politics.
We presented Nenshi with a great plan, the best plan, to finance the construction of the best arena the world has ever seen, that's true. That arena would be yuge with tons of boxes and prime seating. But the Nensher decided he didn't want hockey, so I guess I'll be moving. SAD!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:36 PM

Question to the Flames fans; has this experience somehow effected your support of the team. Of course you want to support your local team and keep them around, but continuing to give your money to such greedy bastards?

Sometimes I stop and think about it too, like when the Sens owner/management boosted parking rates during the playoffs. That doesn't help the attendance issues. In my case, I decided to take transit instead of withdrawing my support.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
We presented Nenshi with a great plan, the best plan, to finance the construction of the best arena the world has ever seen, that's true. That arena would be yuge with tons of boxes and prime seating. But the Nensher decided he didn't want hockey, so I guess I'll be moving. SAD!

Post of the week!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:42 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Question to the Flames fans; has this experience somehow effected your support of the team. Of course you want to support your local team and keep them around, but continuing to give your money to such greedy bastards?

Sometimes I stop and think about it too, like when the Sens owner/management boosted parking rates during the playoffs. That doesn't help the attendance issues. In my case, I decided to take transit instead of withdrawing my support.
Well I'm a huge Flames fan and this has soured me this season.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:44 PM
Rational urbanist

It's always tough to realize you're just cheering for a business. It's why it's fun to support community teams too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Better save this bit of history folks before it disappears. I'm always one who tries to see both sides especially when one so obviously wears the black hat, because things aren't always as they seem.

So, I tried seeing how the city was conducting themselves and I can't say I was impressed with the mayor. Conversely, I had seen Ken King before and he didn't offend my sensibilities too much, that is, until I saw the newser last week.

Jim Aubrey, who was head of the CBS TV network in the 60s, at the height of their power, was called "The Smiling Cobra", I had that sensation watching Ken King. Did he think he was portraying some sort of charming cynicism?

Total turnoff and this recent gambit is the icing on the cake. What are these guys thinking when they can even turn a hardass like me off?

Oh yeah, where are the blueprints he promised?

Oops sorry, I see it (link above). Did a high school kid do that with Google Sketchup?

Oooh, ahhh

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

Oops sorry, I see it (link above). Did a high school kid do that with Google Sketchup?
Yes. That is horrid. A high school communications class could have handled the entire exercise better.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 11:48 PM

Atlanta Flames, has a nice ring to it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Well I'm a huge Flames fan and this has soured me this season.
Ditto. My excitement is a bit soured for the new season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Atlanta Flames, has a nice ring to it.
Third times the charm?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:35 AM

The Calgary Flames needs to stop using Edmonton as a reference point. Calgary needs to focus on being Calgary, not Edmonton.

From my (Edmonton) point of view, it looks like Calgary is crying about not getting our cookie. It doesn't make me view Calgary in a positive light.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:13 AM
HVAC guru

^ that's an interesting perspective. The only people that seem to be bringing up Edmonton are the Flames and King. I see a lot of Calgarians taking a principled stand against corporate welfare.

Edmonton was so desperate for any sort of downtown revitalization they obviously would have signed anything to get a new rink downtown. How that all plays out is yet to be seen. But the Flames and King point to the flash in the pan and say that's what Calgary needs to do. I think Calgarians are not that gullible

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:44 AM
Community Guy

^it was a good investment, is already providing significant returns, new parks, new streetscapes, future parks, new towers, a few thousand new residential units, new excitement and a city that is now making headlines for its concerts. I have had dozens of Calgarians come up for shows, stay overnight Downtown, go out for dinners, drinks, farmers markets etc. etc.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:56 AM

Delete

Last edited by osmo; Sep 22, 2017 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^it was a good investment, is already providing significant returns, new parks, new streetscapes, future parks, new towers, a few thousand new residential units, new excitement and a city that is now making headlines for its concerts. I have had dozens of Calgarians come up for shows, stay overnight Downtown, go out for dinners, drinks, farmers markets etc. etc.
The question is is it a net benefit? I have my doubts.

Edmonton was already experiencing growth in the core well before the new arena development. There would have been growth without the new arena, just maybe not in its current form. Not some gigantic 700 foot skyscraper but perhaps several smaller buildings spread throughout downtown that would have housed an equal number of office workers and residents.

Not only that wasn't part of the deal that Katz forced the city of provincial officials to move into some of these developments? If so, no doubt it was at a higher rate than they would have paid at some alternate location, costing the taxpayers even more money. Doesn't seem to be keeping with the free market either - Katz 's pockets get filled by the government due to some pre-arranged agreement, and at a premium rate, rather than the government picking the more affordable option.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:19 AM
Community Guy

250mil investment, 2.5bil in development in less than 5 years.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:34 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
250mil investment, 2.5bil in development in less than 5 years.
Seeing as the EAC only put in a bit less than $20 million in cash, someone else had to pony up with all the other needed monies ($596 million or so) to get that arena built - everyone seems to forget that the money initially needed to build something like this has to come from somewhere.

The one building being built for the city of Edmonton - would it have been built regardless of the arena being built or not? Was it a needed building for the CoE?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:46 AM
Community Guy

The COE had an RFP out for a few hundred thousand sqft to consolidate into one tower. Multiple bidders.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:49 AM
I am the law!

You're just wasting your time with Cold and his $2.5 billion, $5 billion dollar, $7 billion nonsense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada