HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:10 AM

Who owns that lot anyways? Phoenix? ASU?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
That lot was sold to a developer recently, within the last year, and speculation is a high-density, multi-family project.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:09 PM

The lot that I really think has the most potential is where the radio stations are on Roosevelt between Central and First Ave. I think that has tremendous potential to be the gateway to Roosevelt and downtown. The shape of the lot could make for an awesome design and engage the train station and street with restaurant and retail with office and residential in a 30+ story tower (or perhaps pair of towers on a podium). I'm okay with that sitting for more years if it means we can one day have such a project as a gateway into Roosevelt and Downtown.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
The lot that I really think has the most potential is where the radio stations are on Roosevelt between Central and First Ave. I think that has tremendous potential to be the gateway to Roosevelt and downtown. The shape of the lot could make for an awesome design and engage the train station and street with restaurant and retail with office and residential in a 30+ story tower (or perhaps pair of towers on a podium). I'm okay with that sitting for more years if it means we can one day have such a project as a gateway into Roosevelt and Downtown.

Dude I couldn't agree more - that parcel will one day be incredible.

I've spent quite a bit of time in that building actually going back to the KZON days. The facility isn't going anywhere anytime soon i don't think.. BUT - the local radio industry is currently being turned upside down (again) from a staffing and talent standpoint... probably have some more industry consolidation on the way too.

So who knows!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Dude I couldn't agree more - that parcel will one day be incredible.

I've spent quite a bit of time in that building actually going back to the KZON days. The facility isn't going anywhere anytime soon i don't think.. BUT - the local radio industry is currently being turned upside down (again) from a staffing and talent standpoint... probably have some more industry consolidation on the way too.

So who knows!
What does the inside of the building look like? It could have been not unlike the nice historic building behind it fronting 1st Ave on the outside, except for the terrible exterior remodel job(s) through the years.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:34 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
The Central and Fillmore lot was sold to the same landbanker who tore down the Clinton Campbell house and is selling that parcel now. I don't believe the developer has ever built anything.

My prediction that if anything happens with that lot they'll just prepare it for development (eg, wreck the basement, junk Al Capone's car and the distillery, shore up the Westward Ho tunnel, backfill it all with dirt) and sell it during the next boom.

And yeah, the Roosevelt Central lot would be amazing. Especially if they could move that damn substation across the street. I've long thought about those two parcels as the potential to be Phoenix's Times Square.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
This!!! And not to bring back up a sore subject, which is why an Urban Goodwill is not a good fit for DeSoto building

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
What does the inside of the building look like? It could have been not unlike the nice historic building behind it fronting 1st Ave on the outside, except for the terrible exterior remodel job(s) through the years.
Not noteworthy at all what-so-ever. Old school setup.
Generally pretty dark as there aren't many windows. Only thing weird i guess would be that there are a few stairs here and there - the whole building isnt on the same exact level etc. Honestly the exterior is a pretty good reflection of the interior.

Its NOTHING like Bonnville's facility - which is pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:37 PM
Skyriser

That radio building is a combination of buildings that have existed on that site prior to 1930.

I wonder what they looked like back in the day before that stucco job.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
That radio building is a combination of buildings that have existed on that site prior to 1930.

I wonder what they looked like back in the day before that stucco job.
I believe you can see the original construction in this photo from 1940:

https://repository.asu.edu/items/32445

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 1:15 AM
Skyriser

Was not expecting the delivery!

Crazy to think that 2 story building has been broadcasting for 100 years probably. That is definitely in the Mission Revival style...and still is, sorta. The north side is an extension in the same style, who knew.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I believe you can see the original construction in this photo from 1940:

https://repository.asu.edu/items/32445
I have no idea how so many terrible decisions were made about design and stuff in the past.

Why would they stucco those buildings...why.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Was not expecting the delivery!

Crazy to think that 2 story building has been broadcasting for 100 years probably. That is definitely in the Mission Revival style...and still is, sorta. The north side is an extension in the same style, who knew.
You're right.

https://www.smecc.org/6BBH_-_KDYM_-_..._-_history.htm

Also interesting that Barry Goldwater was a radio enthusiast and one of the first employees at KFCB.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 2:47 AM
Skyriser

Ok, so 1929 ... another site said 1938. It probably has been something else

I would wager that building has been stucco since the beginning as would be typical of Mission Revival.

I would still like it replaced with a marquee CBS Tower if we could get KPHO to move its studios downtown, altho Meredith and CBS are not the same company.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 2:52 PM
Modulator

I apologize, but I'm kinda lost on the last few posts above. What radio building is being discussed? That's not the building at Central and Roosevelt (where the split occurs) that PHXFlyer 11 mentioned would be a good spot for a tower. So I think that's what's throwing me off on the conversation.

Can someone clear up which building this is in the pics above? Is it still standing? I don't recognize anything in the photos.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:04 PM

https://www.smecc.org/6BBH_-_KDYM_-_..._-_history.htm

Hard for me to agree that it isn't the same building when the addresses match.

Looks like an addition and a facade change to me. I believe the photo posted above is looking north on Central.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:16 PM
Modulator

We're talking about this building right here? This is Roosevelt and Central and looks nothing like the building above.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...4d-112.0739619

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
We're talking about this building right here? This is Roosevelt and Central and looks nothing like the building above.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...4d-112.0739619
Yes - that's the one i was talking about. These photos seems to be of a building directly south of DeSoto. I don't if it's still there or not.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:34 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Yes - that's the one i was talking about. These photos seems to be of a building directly south of DeSoto. I don't if it's still there or not.
Thanks for clarifying. That's what threw me off. I didn't realize that was DeSoto. So the KOY building is no longer standing?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Thanks for clarifying. That's what threw me off. I didn't realize that was DeSoto. So the KOY building is no longer standing?
I don't think believe so. I THINK if my memory serves me there is a small parking lot directly south of DeSoto, then a one story flat roof stucco auto repair shop building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest