HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I think both Cityscape and One Central Park East could make for good articles.
One Central Park East seems to have a lot of "technical" stuff that goes with it...would be nice to hear more about it, the type of materials being used, the height, what makes it "special" etc.
Same with Cityscape...more technical information about it's height, the parking garage, access off the street or underground? Things like that.
I will check both those projects. Thanks. My recent articles have been all about the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas, so my current focus is outside the two big cities. I'm hoping things will get moving on the refinery down by Yuma, but haven't seen much action on that front lately. There's an update on the Hoover Dam bridge on my agenda for October. The solar generating station near Gila Bend and the algae biofuel refinery near Coolidge are on the agenda as well. Of course, this time of year, anything in Northern AZ looks good.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:44 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
I've always wanted someone to write an article about why I wake up with a boner every morning.
ew! not only are you a complete dickhead, you are a complete dumbass too!

LOL!

btw.....cold brew, burgers, dogs, n brats for all! happy 4th! enjoy.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempedude View Post
ew! not only are you a complete dickhead, you are a complete dumbass too!

LOL!
ouch! plus I'm smelly and fat.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I've always wanted someone to write an article about why I wake up with a boner every morning.
Probably some kind of post-tensioning or compaction problem. The magazine probably won't be interested. We don't do residential projects much.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:59 PM
BANNED

dude i am cracking up at work and everyone is looking at me .... stop it!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 12:46 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
oh don't mind me. you'll get to know me after a while. I have a high tolerance for people who do what they want without regard (as long as it doesn't affect me) and a low tolerance for people who are timid, abide by the rules, or ask too many questions.

oh yeah, and I'm just flat out a dickhead.
ROFLOL John V ... you have no idea how glad I am you haven't been banned by now!

Cool article Idaho! I had no idea the building had that much going on in it!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
ROFLOL John V ... you have no idea how glad I am you haven't been banned by now!

Cool article Idaho! I had no idea the building had that much going on in it!
The thing I enjoy most about writing these stories is finding out about all the behind-the-scenes stuff that's involved. I did a story last year on the light rail bridge over Tempe Town Lake. People are going to be astonished when they crank up the light show that's been built into that bridge. Another story I did last year was on the Kinder-Morgan pipeline replacement between El Paso and Tucson. There's a lot of cool technology involved with a pipeline like that.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoZonie View Post
I did a story last year on the light rail bridge over Tempe Town Lake. People are going to be astonished when they crank up the light show that's been built into that bridge.
It was lit up last year during this time and I just saw it again tonight for the fireworks display.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 11:21 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
oh don't mind me. you'll get to know me after a while. I have a high tolerance for people who do what they want without regard (as long as it doesn't affect me) and a low tolerance for people who are timid, abide by the rules, or ask too many questions.

oh yeah, and I'm just flat out a dickhead.
Don't you work at a hotel? I want to come watch you at work sometime.

Hotel Guest: Sir, is the pool open at this time?

John: OF COURSE IT IS. Its two in the afternoon you f****** C***!!!! Why wouldn't the pool be open? You don't need to ask- just get your sweet a** in the water and have a mother f****** fantastic day!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Don't you work at a hotel? I want to come watch you at work sometime.

Hotel Guest: Sir, is the pool open at this time?

John: OF COURSE IT IS. Its two in the afternoon you f****** C***!!!! Why wouldn't the pool be open? You don't need to ask- just get your sweet a** in the water and have a mother f****** fantastic day!
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHH

yesssss. Thats funny I have actually been known to do similar things.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:13 PM

I got my first chance yesterday to really take in the new ‘art’ piece at the civic park and I must say I have had a change of heart. I was one of those that thought it would be a nice focal point and welcome addition. But after actually seeing it the damn thing is just too, too much. Its not located at the park it is the park. It dominates the space so much it almost seems that the park was constructed merely to contain the piece as an after thought. Its cablings stretch to all the edges and seem overly obtrusive creating an eye soar, old dangling power lines come to mind. I wonder why it had to be on such a large scale, why it couldn’t have been integrated more making it something to see at the park and not the only thing you see.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:22 PM

I guess different strokes for different folks...but the size of it is what leaves you in awe in my opinion...a smaller version would have seemed like an afterthought as you see the park being.

Besides, the park isn't anywhere close to being finished...how can you call it an afterthought already?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:27 PM

Plus...Just wait till the net is attached. I wish i could find the film clip of the one in Portugal. It is amazing to see it move in the wind!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:33 PM

Oh, don’t get me wrong I don’t view the park as an after thought its just my opinion that the piece is so large that you could conjecture that the park was made to showcase the piece and not that the piece was a proposed addition. I mean you have to admit, if you’ve seen it, that it dominates and not just because of the rings and columns but all of the cables that run from the columns towards the sidewalks. It just seems to busy. But I’ll take you suggestion and hold further judgment until everything is complete I just hope with the addition of plants, hardscapes and shading I’m proven wrong.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7VtnkMzxPs

That's the link of the video of Janet Echelman's "net" in Portugal...I think it'll be a great addition to DT Phoenix and help draw people into the core. Besides, if Phoenix wants to start being a world class city then it needs things that set it apart...this will.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Taylor Place dorms may boost downtown Phoenix
Phoenix Business Journal - by Yvonne Zusel

A new Arizona State University dormitory could give downtown Phoenix a needed economic boost when students move in this fall.

Taylor Place, at Taylor and First streets, is at 61 percent occupancy, according to Jennifer Shea, director of operations. She said pending applications should fill the beds by the Aug. 21 move-in date.

Patrick Panetta, assistant director of university real estate development, said he has seen extensive interest from businesses looking to rent ground-floor retail space at both Taylor Place and the nearby Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

"They've done their homework," he said.

Possibilities for Taylor Place include a coffee shop, other eateries, and a convenience store run by food service provider Aramark, which also will provide dining services for dorm residents.

Panetta said the university was interested in getting local vendors into both buildings. He is confident the space will fill up quickly.

Shea also said she feels Taylor Place will reach full occupancy. The 13-story tower can accommodate 744 students. Housing costs about $3,500 per semester for a double room; prices for the single rooms vary.

Prices are comparable to those at Hassayampa Village, a dorm at ASU's Tempe campus, according to George­ana Montoya, dean of student affairs.

A second residential tower at Taylor Place is expected to be completed by August 2009, adding 550 beds.

Cronkite School Dean Christopher Callahan said Taylor Place will provide students with a "sense of place and camaraderie," and the economic opportunities will be a boon for downtown.

"It's hard to envision now, because it's still a construction site," he said. "But in two months, this place will be teeming with students."

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:20 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^^I still can't believe its opening in 2 phases. From the exterior it looks like its at exactly the same point. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
Oh, don’t get me wrong I don’t view the park as an after thought its just my opinion that the piece is so large that you could conjecture that the park was made to showcase the piece and not that the piece was a proposed addition. I mean you have to admit, if you’ve seen it, that it dominates and not just because of the rings and columns but all of the cables that run from the columns towards the sidewalks. It just seems to busy. But I’ll take you suggestion and hold further judgment until everything is complete I just hope with the addition of plants, hardscapes and shading I’m proven wrong.
I'm not sure all those cables are permanent. If you look at the video of the one in Portugal it doesn't seem to have as many cables.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
I totally understand what you're saying. I said it in an earlier post. I really, really want to like this piece when it's done. But when I saw the size of it, wow, it's just so damn big that this has got to be beautiful. There's no forgiving ugly when it's big and ugly. Fingers crossed...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:52 PM

Yeah, the second dorm flew up there, i can't imagine it is 1 year behind. I would venture to guess it will open in Dec/Jan for the Spring semester.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 9:37 PM

Maybe they are doing a slow roll out of added students. The dorm might be ready, but maybe they aren't admitting enough students to fill all the rooms yet????

Art piece...also, the cables won't be so visable as the park is filled with other aspects.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest