HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Tried watching it live so some of my details may be slightly incorrect (haven’t seen the YT link below yet) but construction on the West terminal would start around 2034. Also, looks like it wouldn’t be a dedicated International terminal but even more puzzling, was that they plan on keeping the International arrival area in T4 in addition to the new one in West terminal. Seems a little duplicative but hey what do I know.
.... Start construction in 2034.... okay Ill come check back oin on this in 6 or 7 years.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
.... Start construction in 2034.... okay Ill come check back oin on this in 6 or 7 years.
Got a chance to see the video. It's going to take about 6 years for Environmental Review and government red-tape w/ the FAA. Apologies, it was 2032 when construction would start and then would open up by 2037 or so.

One of the things I found surprising was that forecast models over the next 20 years still don't see the need for a 4th runway.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 6:01 PM

New Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport terminal may not break ground until 2032

https://kjzz.org/content/1879286/new...nd-until-2032.

Quote:
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport plans to build a new terminal on the airport’s west side, close to where former Terminals 1 and 2 were located before being demolished.

Construction isn’t expected to begin until 2032 because the FAA’s environmental process will take about five years, followed by design work. “I would much rather do it now in a kind of a phased approach, we can always slow down that process if our airlines, or any other entity, or we have a, you know another industry event that slows down our growth, for whatever reason, we can always pause, but we can't’ get that time back,” Aviation Director Chad Makovsky told the City Council Tuesday.

Councilwoman Ann O’Brien, whose district includes Taiwanese chip manufacturer TSMC, asked if future plans will include a dedicated terminal to international travelers. Makovsky said international flights account for 6% of Sky Harbor traffic.

“So many of our airlines serve both domestic and international destinations at the same time and so that's why what we're proposing is, we have an international concourse at Terminal 4 today, we need to recognize the growth in international in Phoenix, and so what we intend to do is really look at an international facility in the new terminal as well,” he said. “So, there'll be two terminals that have international operations within the airport.”

Makovsky said other projects are underway, including a new concourse at Terminal 3 and a post-security walkway between Terminals 3 and 4. “We’'ll be investing more than $3.5 billion over the next six years, which amounts to — it's really a staggering number when you start talking about billions — it amounts to roughly $1.6 million in investment every single day over the next six years,” he said.

To cover infrastructure costs, Sky Harbor relies on passenger facility charges, bonds and federal tax dollars. In 2022, Sky Harbor was the busiest three-runway airport in the world and in 2023, it reported more than 48 million passengers.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Is it typical for an environmental assessment to take that long and what is all involved in that? It just seems crazy to take that long of a period of time considering there used to be another terminal where this one will go even though there is a change in land use. But I'm not expert on this type of stuff...

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 11:07 PM
self-important urbanista

I just watched the recording. The environmental review process is going to last as long as Jim Waring's bombastic bloviation after the staff presentation.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I just watched the recording. The environmental review process is going to last as long as Jim Waring's bombastic bloviation after the staff presentation.
lol does that mean it will only take like 5 minutes or are you saying that figuratively, like it's going to take way more time than it should.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:01 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
lol does that mean it will only take like 5 minutes or are you saying that figuratively, like it's going to take way more time than it should.
The latter. With that particular councilman, five minutes seems like five hours.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Is it typical for an environmental assessment to take that long and what is all involved in that? It just seems crazy to take that long of a period of time considering there used to be another terminal where this one will go even though there is a change in land use. But I'm not expert on this type of stuff...
The environmental assessment process is insanely obtuse, wasteful and slow.

The whole thing needs to be thrown out and a new process created. 10 years for approval to build an airport terminal on an existing airport... on an existing footprint of a former terminal?

This is a well known problem with the EPA and people have been complaining about it for decades

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:54 PM

Quote:

The whole thing needs to be thrown out and a new process created. 10 years for approval to build an airport terminal on an existing airport... on an existing footprint of a former terminal?

This is a well known problem with the EPA and people have been complaining about it for decades
Once you create a cottage industry around a bureaucratic processes, it's going to be difficult to burn that cottage down, lest you deal with the wrath of lawyers and consultants who make money in said village.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 4:08 PM

Quote:

You misspelled the FAA.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 9:57 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Also, looks like it wouldn’t be a dedicated International terminal but even more puzzling, was that they plan on keeping the International arrival area in T4 in addition to the new one in West terminal. Seems a little duplicative but hey what do I know.
This part of the presentation really puzzled me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of any U.S. airports that have international arrivals spread over two or more terminals. By having a single place for incoming flights, only one immigration and customs facility needs to be staffed. Considering how shabby the one at Terminal 4 is, I would hope to see something much better at the new West Terminal.

Also, there was some discussion of terminal names, but no one acknowledged the weirdness of having terminals 3 and 4 but no terminals 1 or 2. Since the two current terminals already have secondary names of Goldwater and McCain, why not just shift to using those, adding the Ragsdale Terminal (or whatever name is chosen) after it is built.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
This part of the presentation really puzzled me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of any U.S. airports that have international arrivals spread over two or more terminals. By having a single place for incoming flights, only one immigration and customs facility needs to be staffed. Considering how shabby the one at Terminal 4 is, I would hope to see something much better at the new West Terminal.
JFK is an example of this, each terminal essentially has their own arrivals processing. This is due to it being hubs for Delta & American, United used to have presence there before pulling out and consolidating to EWR (taking a chunk of alliance airlines with them too). Most of the foreign flag carriers park with their domestic partners since a healthy amount of their customers are also going to be connecting.

LAX is in a fairly similar boat since each of the big 3 have their own terminals there and Tom Bradley international terminal is basically used for:
- domestic overflow for the big 3. This is fairly new for the big 3 with the post-security connections now possible, so weird deplaning from a 737 on to Tom Bradley and walking half-a-mile to the connection
- non-alliance airlines, like Etihad
- A380 gates, since it's the only terminal AFAIK that can accommodate it in LAX

With Sky Harbor, only American could choose to fly a trans-oceanic route but it's unlikely given they have hubs closer to the coast. United/Delta don't have hubs here.

I will be on the Air France flight end of the month, and since they're SkyTeam I thought they should be in Terminal 3 with Delta but that's a no. I'll get to experience first-hand how shabby international T4 is going to be. I suspect some folks could get tripped up with that especially since you can book the flight through Delta (which is what I did). I also don't actually know where the check-in is going to be lol.

All that to say, if there were to be an international terminal, I'd propose reconfiguring Terminal 3 for that AND make sure post-security terminal transfers are in place and reasonable. Maybe add another platform to the skytrain to form a post-security loop just between the 3 terminals. T3 is centrally located and should be easier to reach for both West and T4.

It's also the smallest footprint, given that our international traffic would likely come from foreign airlines, possibly non-alliance airlines, I think it makes sense to give them that space.

West and T4 would also need to a pre-immigration walkway to get to the arrival processing center in this hypothetical setup -- it'll be a long walk but it's common especially with international hub airports (Schipol, Incheon, actually Seattle's new Arrivals processing also involves a long walk now from their satellite international terminal)

Having said all that, I do wish there was an international terminal, but I understand why they're opting for each terminal having their own processing (except T3) -- because they're not forecasting as much traffic to warrant a central terminal like that.

But who knows, that West Terminal with 40 gates is huge. Are they courting United/Delta?

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 6:03 PM

As Halicem stated, most large airports do have multiple customs facilities. This is because they have hubbed airlines in separate terminals and you don’t want passengers on say, an American or Southwest flight, to have to change terminals to catch their connecting flight.

The new terminal would house either AA or SW. So you need customs facilities in both places. Also, 40 gates is massive. Some of the largest airports in the don’t have 40 international gates. There’s no use in Phoenix for more than 10-20 international gates.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 9:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer16 View Post
As Halicem stated, most large airports do have multiple customs facilities. This is because they have hubbed airlines in separate terminals and you don’t want passengers on say, an American or Southwest flight, to have to change terminals to catch their connecting flight.

The new terminal would house either AA or SW. So you need customs facilities in both places. Also, 40 gates is massive. Some of the largest airports in the don’t have 40 international gates. There’s no use in Phoenix for more than 10-20 international gates.
Okay, but at airports with fewer international flights (like Phoenix), my experience has been that all flights incoming from other countries (except places with preclearance like Canada and Bermuda) arrive at one terminal. Sky Harbor officials must be pretty confident about expanded international service if they think there will be enough flights to sustain two separate customs facilities. I hope they're right.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 3:09 PM

Hi all,

Air France will converted to year-round long instead of seasonal. Will continue on three times per week.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...rk-five-cities

Quote:
The winter schedule will also see Denver and Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX) converted to year-round routes, each operating three times per week. Flights to PHX will be inaugurated on May 23, marking the first nonstop route between France and the U.S. city.

Last edited by N830MH; May 18, 2024 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Okay, but at airports with fewer international flights (like Phoenix), my experience has been that all flights incoming from other countries (except places with preclearance like Canada and Bermuda) arrive at one terminal. Sky Harbor officials must be pretty confident about expanded international service if they think there will be enough flights to sustain two separate customs facilities. I hope they're right.
The facilities are driven by the airline hubs. If you move southwest out of Terminal 4 to the new terminal then you need a facility in each, pretty simple.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest