HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:13 PM

That's unfortunate, I voted against.

I mean frankly, I'd be fine with it if they were to use the block where the State Parking Garage sits now, because anything would be an improvement over that, and it doesn't directly front the park.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 12:06 AM
Meh

I'm sure the fiscal conservatives will still destroy its chances.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm sure the fiscal conservatives will still destroy its chances.
Travis County and Austin is blue right? How is that possible?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 2:42 AM
Meh

Every comments page suggests otherwise. I actually doubt it'll pass.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Every comments page suggests otherwise. I actually doubt it'll pass.
Comment pages aren't a reliable sample of the general population's views. If they were, I would just shoot myself right now.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 8:03 PM

I just looked at the early voting turnout and noticed that Travis County added an early voting station at the courthouse, a location that was not used in 2014, 2013 or 2012.

Exactly 900 people early voted at the courthouse location this year, out of 24,800 votes cast.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 9:05 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Comment pages aren't a reliable sample of the general population's views. If they were, I would just shoot myself right now.
I know, but they do help to sway people's views. At least it seems that way. They remind me of a situation of a bunch of unruly kids in a classroom when the teacher walks out, and the antics of a few kids is encouraged and accepted by the others.

Anyway, there's this article from KXAN with a vague rendering attached.
http://kxan.com/2015/10/28/new-civil...vis-co-voters/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:18 AM
World Traveler

That rendering pops up at about 1:31 in the main video. It actually looks moderately better than I expected. Either way, I do think the vast amount of people that would come to that location may indirectly help other businesses in the area - especially restaurants, coffee shops, etc. I also am not totally opposed to East Austin, but it does make sense to me to have it in downtown somewhere - downtown is intended to be the main gathering place of a community for work, residence, play, and of course civil affairs. That is historically how cities have worked all over the world. That said, does this particular lot need to have the courthouse? Right next to a park that could boost businesses/residences that may be built there instead of a courthouse? I don't know. I think I'd be more okay with the lot if the next block to the west wasn't a gigantic parking garage with no option for anything else...unless is gets mysteriously torn down and replaced. That and the block immediately to the east is a horrendous excuse for architecture...

If it goes to East Austin, it would need to have sufficient transportation, etc., but I just can't fully get around a courthouse outside of a downtown area - even if just across the freeway. It just seems wrong to me. I'm still not thrilled with the current plan, but the judge is right - something needs to happen.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 8:02 AM

Here's a screen capture of the courthouse from that KXAN video:

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 2:55 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Amen to that! It wouldn't be bad if this forum were representative of humanity, but how about YouTube comments, or Disqus, or abc.go.com, etc. Yeah, I'd want off this planet in a hurry.

I like the design. I changed my mind yet again and am voting for after reading the Chronicle's impassioned plea for us to support it. Also, not that this is any more reliable a sample than comments, but the ABJ poll has this thing winning and that's likely a more conservative than average sample of TC's populace. But it really depends on who shows up to vote. Bond measures almost always pass here, so I think it will pass. It's not like they're asking for money to fund an animal-based cosmetic testing facility or a statue of Pol Pot.

Edit: actually, the statue of Pol Pot might pass, for reasons that are left as an exercise for the reader.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 7:42 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Bonds typically pass, unless they are for AISD spending on athletics. That's like pulling teeth.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 11:01 PM

I caved in and voted in favor of the courthouse proposal. I still think it should be in another downtown location, but I just could not get over the fact that I did not want any part in handing a victory to the loathsome Don Zimmerman. I am sure he would take credit for any defeat of this measure and use it to shore up his credibility with voters in the next city council elections.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 11:25 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I caved in and voted in favor of the courthouse proposal. I still think it should be in another downtown location, but I just could not get over the fact that I did not want any part in handing a victory to the loathsome Don Zimmerman. I am sure he would take credit for any defeat of this measure and use it to shore up his credibility with voters in the next city council elections.
On behalf of several family members who live in Travis county, thank you for your increasing their taxes and assisting in destroying any chance for a great mixed use project on the last square block of unencumbered land in downtown Austin. Your excuse for voting in favor is moronic.

I think it is safe to say everyone would agree that a new courthouse is needed. But, it does not have to be on this particular block. Voting in against the motion would force the county to look elsewhere and/or be forced back to the table to discuss a true PPP for this particular site (which is what should have been done in the first place).

Additionally, there is absolutely no reason this building should cost $580/SF. That's more than the W, JW Marriott, Austonian, Fairmont, Independent, Waller Park Place, etc. And, there is obviously no huge architectural fee associated with it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
On behalf of several family members who live in Travis county, thank you for your increasing their taxes and assisting in destroying any chance for a great mixed use project on the last square block of unencumbered land in downtown Austin. Your excuse for voting in favor is moronic.
Lighten up a little bit.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:02 AM
Meh

I voted against it. The money thing doesn't bother me. Stuff costs money! And I know that because it's a government building that we shouldn't expect a masterpiece in modern times. Maybe a long time ago in the days of the State Capitol when it was a point of pride or whatever, but it's unreasonable to think we'll get something grand today without the anti-tax whiners having something to complain about. What I do expect is for it to interact and actually add something to the neighborhood and make the best of the situation. I didn't think the project as planned will do that, so I voted against.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:17 AM

I voted against. A 14 story half block office building shouldn't cost a quarter of a billion dollars. Not to mention the money that could be raised if they sold that valuable piece of land. Way too expensive, try again.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post

I think it is safe to say everyone would agree that a new courthouse is needed. But, it does not have to be on this particular block. Voting in against the motion would force the county to look elsewhere and/or be forced back to the table to discuss a true PPP for this particular site (which is what should have been done in the first place).

Additionally, there is absolutely no reason this building should cost $580/SF. That's more than the W, JW Marriott, Austonian, Fairmont, Independent, Waller Park Place, etc. And, there is obviously no huge architectural fee associated with it.
Well, thank you for your candid thoughts on the matter. I am sure that your family members living here in Travis County appreciate your speaking up for them with such passion. It has been a while since I was described as "moronic", but I suspect that there are others here on SSP who might agree with you.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:46 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I voted against it. The money thing doesn't bother me. Stuff costs money! And I know that because it's a government building that we shouldn't expect a masterpiece in modern times. Maybe a long time ago in the days of the State Capitol when it was a point of pride or whatever, but it's unreasonable to think we'll get something grand today without the anti-tax whiners having something to complain about. What I do expect is for it to interact and actually add something to the neighborhood and make the best of the situation. I didn't think the project as planned will do that, so I voted against.
I like your assessment. Since I don't live there anymore, I obviously didn't vote for or against, but I agree with you on the importance of interaction and that the entire space (especially on such an important block that doesn't have any limitations) should benefit the whole of the neighborhood, city, and county.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:52 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Voting for something because you might agree with someone you don't like if you went the other way is the epitome of playing politics. Vote for it because you support the project, or vote against it because you don't.

I also don't like being called an anti-tax whiner. It's not whining to demand governments to spend OUR money responsibly. I agree with those saying this building is way too expensive for what we're getting. It's a waste of our tax dollars.

If they really want it there, that's fine. Come back with a more reasonable cost, and design it so that it gives back to the neighborhood. Quit jerking Joe Taxpayer around.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 4:20 AM
Meh

^Oh, I wasn't singling you out, or anyone in this thread. I was just generalizing about people who complain about everything that comes along. Some of the suggestions from the opponents on this project didn't really have it together in terms of knowing much on the subject. They were simply opposed because of the cost. There are more things to consider than that, which is why I voted against. Either way, it's going to be expensive to build a new one, and the longer we wait the higher the costs will be since that's what you can expect with just about everything now days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin