HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Various Yonge Street skylines from Lake to lake (Ontario to Simcoe)

Cool shot, I don't think I've seen a photo capture the full extent of Yonge Street like that before. I've heard claims that Yonge Street is the longest street in the world, as it runs about 50 km from Lake Ontario to Newmarket while maintaining its name and never turning into a divided regional highway.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Cool shot, I don't think I've seen a photo capture the full extent of Yonge Street like that before. I've heard claims that Yonge Street is the longest street in the world, as it runs about 50 km from Lake Ontario to Newmarket while maintaining its name and never turning into a divided regional highway.
50 km is about 31 miles. There's got to be longer streets than 31 miles somewhere else in the world?

Edit, I just found out how/why people think it's the longest street in the world, according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonge_Street

Quote:
Until 1999, the Guinness Book of World Records repeated the popular misconception it was 1,896 km (1,178 mi) long, making it the longest street in the world; this was due to a conflation of Yonge Street with the rest of Ontario's Highway 11.
Here's something I didn't know before I started googling longest streets in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colfax_Avenue
Colfax Ave in Denver: At just over 50 miles in length, it is known as the "longest continuous commercial street in America.

Figueroa is the longest continuous street within a city's limits. 22 miles within Los Angeles.

Last edited by SAN Man; Apr 7, 2022 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
50 km is about 31 miles. There's got to be longer streets than 31 miles somewhere else in the world?

Edit, I just found out how/why people think it's the longest street in the world, according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonge_Street
Ya the ability to compare streets across countries and what is or is not a street is a useless endeavour. I feel like it was one of those things a tour bus operator would tell you driving around Downtown and no one would question it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ya the ability to compare streets across countries and what is or is not a street is a useless endeavour. I feel like it was one of those things a tour bus operator would tell you driving around Downtown and no one would question it.
Yonge is probably a top 5 or lower in US/Canada. There may have been longer ones before the interstate system was built. A lot of interstates and urban freeways were built on top of some major arterial roadways.

There must have been a single road between Dallas and Ft. Worth connecting the two?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 4:38 PM

This shot kinda has Downtown and Midtown. Although its missing half of midtown

Here's the other half

Believe it or not midtown is getting another tower for the first time in decades and there is a 21 story planned for right in the middle of the two near the BMO tower by its lonesome now.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:49 PM
BANNED

This one is from around 2015, maybe earlier? You can see UTC on the upper right side of the horizon. UTC stands for University Town Center, sometimes piggybacking off of the La Jolla brand as "La Jolla UTC". As the crow flies UTC is 12 miles north of Petco Park and is located in the city limits of San Diego.

oceanlight.com

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 7:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here's the downtown Evanston skyline with downtown Chicago silhouetted in the far background (~12 miles away).

source: https://www.cityofevanston.org/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 7, 2022 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Cool shot, I don't think I've seen a photo capture the full extent of Yonge Street like that before.
I have never seen a pic that captured Toronto and Lake Simcoe in the same frame.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
This shot kinda has Downtown and Midtown. Although its missing half of midtown

Here's the other half

Believe it or not midtown is getting another tower for the first time in decades and there is a 21 story planned for right in the middle of the two near the BMO tower by its lonesome now.
What city is this?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
What city is this?
Looks like Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Looks like Phoenix.
It's Phoenix, given the mountains in the background, but in the second photo it almost looks like Atlanta, a city in the trees.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:58 PM

Here are a couple from Atlanta's 3rd skyline Sandy Springs with Buckhead and midtown/downtown in the distance:

The areas in Cumberland/Cobb (Where Atlanta Braves stadium and The battery are located), Old Fourth Ward (East beltline around Ponce City Market), and West Midtown are developing their own skylines as well.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:18 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I have never seen a pic that captured Toronto and Lake Simcoe in the same frame.
Same.
It's kind of mind boggling!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 5:13 AM

Nevermind

Last edited by Nite; Apr 8, 2022 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
It's Phoenix, given the mountains in the background, but in the second photo it almost looks like Atlanta, a city in the trees.
Phoenix is a lot greener than people seem to think it is. Especially in the nicer parts Its much greener than Las Vegas. Vegas is in a slightly cooler but Drier climate. Phoenix (the older parts) is all former farmlands.

From the right Hight it can look very green (also the winter-Early summer tends to be green, in the heat of the summer lots of plants lose their vibrant color and darken or yellow a bit before the winter, and we even have quite a few trees that shed their leaves, Mesquites/Paloverdes dont fully shed but thin in the winter)

But Generally speaking it was SUPER green when it was all farms then, like most places, starting in the mid 1960's everyone lost their minds and decided for misguided reasons to tear down trees and pave over grass despite lawns using a fraction of the water Orange Groves did.

Modern landscaping even out in the burbs is much better, with big leafy trees that are heat resistant being imported from Asia. But we still get misguided policy about landscaping, even now they are pushing fake lawns (despite fake grass being a petroleum product) and pushing against lawns that do better for heat reduction and, again, aren't even the big water users. The biggest waste of water is in agriculture and manufacturing not form neighborhoods with trees and grass.

anyway Exhibits:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 8:42 PM

New Nobu Hotel in Buckhead with a glimpse of downtown Atlanta in the background:

Buckhead with Sandy Springs in the background:

The growing skyline of Old Fourth Ward around the East Beltline with midtown in the background:

Bonus shot of cranes of midtown:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:31 PM

Pittsburgh

Oakland in foreground, downtown in background

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:59 PM
BANNED

This doesn’t even do the Oakland-East Liberty skyline justice to blend with downtown. I can’t wait to see it after the new towers built.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 10:07 PM

Best tower on a university campus in the world?

The Cathedral of Learning is such an awesome dystopian name as well. Like where you would get sent to be "re-educated" by the robot overlords.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGrunt215 View Post
This doesn’t even do the Oakland-East Liberty skyline justice to blend with downtown. I can’t wait to see it after the new towers built.
I'm not sure what any of this means

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions