HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2006, 9:40 PM
samsonyuen

I agree, to fight the Wal-Mart/Loblaw's behemoth, Longo's is smart to differentiate itself through high quality, variety, and versatile locations.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2006, 2:54 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
compact, neighbourhood-sized stores with an emphasis on quality -- like longo's -- will be the supermarkets that thrive over the next several years. stores that try to ape the wal-mart supercentre approach like loblaw's will only suffer.
The grocery store market has increasingly gone to a two tier direction. In one direction there's the high end stores that focus on quality like Longo's and in the other direction is the discount stores like Basics, No Frills and Price Chopper. The middle market stores like Loeb, Safeway and Sobeys are going to get squeezed when Wal-Mart starts SuperCenters in Canada.

In my Ottawa suburb the retailer residents have wanted the most is Farm Boy, a local grocery chain that I suspect is similiar to Longo's. An outlet finally opened earlier this year and the parking lot is full whenever the store is open.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2006, 5:52 PM
samsonyuen

No, I'd liken it more to Provigo in Québec. It's not quite as market-y as Farm Boy.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2006, 2:20 AM

Longo's is by no means high-end. Its just a supermarket. My first job ever was at Longo's, and to be honest I can't stand their managment. Very bad managment, and not fun people to work for. Thats why I quit after a month

Anyway they are not high-end, and their prices are not that expensive. Its just normal, and they try to act high-end by only opening in so called "rich" areas of the region(mostly Italian areas since they are Italian). Their North York store and now downtown are really the only stores not in Italian areas of the Toronto region.

Now Miketoronto's favourite Toronto supermarket is HIGHLAND FARMS . We have one near our house and I do go there sometimes when I need a supermarket. Check out their intro at

http://www.freshathighlandfarms.com/intro.html

Its a funny intro.

Last edited by miketoronto; Apr 17, 2006 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2006, 5:42 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto
Limeridge Mall should be shut down.

Hamilton should never have allowed it to be built, knowing that a city that size could not support a mall and downtown retail.

If Limridge was not built, I think the fortunes of downtown Hamilton would never have gone down in the first place.
Ahhh yes, cue the violins.

If Limeridge wasn't built, a powermall or two would have taken its place.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 9:12 PM
samsonyuen

I wonder where in Toronto and Ottawa they're thinking...

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

MARINA STRAUSS
RETAILING REPORTER
Quebec fashion favourite Maison Simons is preparing to expand to the rest of Canada as it looks to capitalize on the upheaval surrounding the traditional department stores.

Simons, which runs seven department stores in Quebec, anticipates major overhauls at Sears Canada Inc. and Hudson's Bay Co., which have both struggled to make gains and now face new ownership arrangements.

"The market is in so much flux right now," said Peter Simons, president at Simons and the fifth-generation family member to run the Quebec City-based business.

"I do think everyone is trying to cope with the uncertainty surrounding other major players in the market," he said in a telephone interview. "Sears and the Bay -- whether they're going to merge or not, or whether they're going to survive or not. It's not a secret. . . . Everyone is concerned and they're talking about it and they're developing contingency plans."

Simons has hired real estate broke J.J. Barnicke to hunt for space in the Greater Toronto Area, and is eyeing a site in Ottawa that would be developed by Morguard Real Estate Investment Trust, he said.

And prime targets for expansion could be the large downtown department stores run by Sears, if they became available, he said. Industry observers believe those stores don't ring up enough sales for their size.

Sears and HBC, which owns the Bay and Zellers, are in the throes of change. HBC was snapped up recently by U.S. businessman Jerry Zucker, while Sears is in the midst of being taken private by its U.S. majority owner, controlled by hedge fund star Edward Lampert. Industry insiders believe that the new operators will eventually want to unload some of their stores.

Simons is ready to jump. It has developed a strong following in its home province, offering mid- to high-priced fashions that tend to suit customers' tastes by tracking sales patterns through technology. In this way it is quick to reorder the hits and dump the weak sellers.

It focuses on customer service, with on-site alterations, tailors in every store and a system of reserving new merchandise.

It invests heavily in its stores and their design, spending considerable amounts on artwork, for example, Mr. Simons said. The downtown Montreal store boasts a suspended glass sculpture by artist Guido Molinari that cost "at least a couple of hundred thousand bucks." He believes customers like to be pampered in an attractive environment. "If they're treated well, then they do spend more maybe."

And Simons sends its merchandise team around the world to scope out the latest styles and bring them quickly to the shop floor, developing exclusive products. At any time, it could offer $20 private-label T-shirts and $4,000 faux crocodile Paul Smith suits.

"We have a culture of service," Mr. Simons said. "We approach service in a unique way. We don't focus on the selling, we focus on the experience."

In his bid to expand, Mr. Simons started thinking seriously about the move at the beginning of the year, he said. Already he is looking at opening his first non-Quebec store in Ottawa at a possible extension of the St. Laurent shopping centre.

Simons needs big locations -- 80,000 to 100,000 square feet -- for its stores. "Space like that isn't easy to find," Mr. Simons said. "It has to be developed. There is very little new shopping centre development. We're looking around, looking for opportunities that make sense."

And he's looking for opportunities that result from changes in the department store landscape. "I think there is a lot of very valuable real estate there," he said of the Sears downtown stores. "But it's only valuable if you can make money operating it. I'm an operator. I'm not a real estate guy and I'm not a finance guy. You can't just keep losing money in locations and pretend they're worth something to you."

He said Simons can count on its solid relationship with the major landlords, among them Cadillac Fairview Corp. and Ivanhoe Cambridge, which is an arm of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec. "They're thinking about us and we're thinking about them."

But Simons will be patient, he said. The Ottawa store, which still needs to get municipal approvals, could open by the end of 2008.

Privately held Simons, which has more than $200-million of annual sales, expects each of its new stores to be in the black in the first year of operation, he said.

Another Quebec retailer, Les Ailes de la Mode, made a disastrous foray outside of Quebec and was forced to retreat. But Mr. Simons said he will be cautious in his expansion. "My thing isn't just about big rapid growth. It's overdone."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 3:38 AM

While I love SIMONS, I am not happy if they open stores in the rest of Canada.

When I go to Montreal, going to SIMONS is a special part of the trip. But if they are in all cities in Canada, they will just be another store, you can find anywhere. Takes the special unique factor out of coming home with clothing form SIMONS and people in Toronto asking me where I got the cool shirts, and pants, etc.

SIMONS just better watch out. They are nice and small now and doing great. But if they expand to all corners, they could face the same problems other retail stores face.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 10:46 AM
samsonyuen

You know Simons originated in Québec city, right? It's got seven store in total now. With a couple in Toronto and Ottawa, that's only nine, about the same number as Holt's, which I think keeps its uniqueness (even with three stores in Greater Toronto).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 6:14 PM
菠蘿油

yeah, simons is already a chain. there are three in quebec city alone, three in greater montreal and one in sherbrooke.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 7:31 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Could somebody from TO or Mtl tell me about "Goodfoot"? They are opening on 17th Ave here in Calgary (methinks the retail space above the new Fiasco Gelato) and there website is kind of inscrutable. I am assuming it's an "urban" shoe store?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 10:58 PM
菠蘿油

never heard of it, but considering its location in montreal, it's probably obnoxiously trendy and obscenely expensive. next time i'm on st-laurent i'll check it out, though.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 11:50 PM
菠蘿油

you know, speaking of 17th avenue, when a vancouver developer renovated the block behind tompkins square (the one where sandpiper books used to be) almost ten years ago, he said that he expected the street to become calgary's answer to robson street. it seemed absurd at the time but now i can actually see that happening. it'll probably take another ten years, but it's definitely coming.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 12:49 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

^I agree- but it's damn upsetting to see two prime locations (8 St and 11 St) sit as empty lots for years now.

Very interesting new shop called Ghetto Blaster just opened where symbols of strength tattoo used to be- they have done an unbelievable job of sprucing up a derelict setting and making it like a b-boy version of Rubaiyat- the "graf supplies" behind the counter are like a jewelers case. Even my 42-year-old self was compelled to get a t-shirt there.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
yeah, simons is already a chain. there are three in quebec city alone, three in greater montreal and one in sherbrooke.
I know its a chain. But its a small quebec only chain. It still has a uniquness factor to it.

If they open everywhere it won't be the same.

The Toronto Eaton Centre everytime I walk through there seems to be opening new stores. They seem to be kicking out long time tenants, and opening all these stores I never heard the names of before. I guess they are trying to keep it unique from other malls?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 9:30 AM
samsonyuen

Which stores are you talking about?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 4:57 PM
samsonyuen

From: http://toronto.fashion-monitor.com/n...sephora-canada

The new store, scheduled to launch on April 28, will be located in the Ontario city of Mississauga, a suburb in the Toronto area.

New Sephora location will house more than 150 beauty brands, including best-selling Tarte, Bare Escentuals, Dr Brandt and Philosophy.

"Sephora is committed to expanding our presence in Canada," Sephora retail marketing director Leslie Clyde tells Cosmeticnews.com.

"Sephora will open its third door in Toronto, with a possible other location, also in Toronto, planned for fall."[/quote]
I don' t know why they're saying they are opening their third door (rather than store)...There's also one opening in July at Scarborough Town Centre as well.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 3:17 AM

Thats not fun that Sephora is opening in all the suburban malls. I thought this was more a niche store that was just going to be in the Eaton Centre for a while.

What happened to the Toronto where many of the big name stores only opened in Eaton Centre, and that was it. The suburban malls did not get them.

There was a time when stores like Benneton, etc where only downtown at Eaton Centre. Now these stores are open everywhere. No fun.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Thats not fun that Sephora is opening in all the suburban malls. I thought this was more a niche store that was just going to be in the Eaton Centre for a while.

What happened to the Toronto where many of the big name stores only opened in Eaton Centre, and that was it. The suburban malls did not get them.

There was a time when stores like Benneton, etc where only downtown at Eaton Centre. Now these stores are open everywhere. No fun.
Then what stores used to fill up the Suburban malls, and what ever became of THOSE Stores?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 6:41 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:

Mall-rat shlebs have their own form of petty elitism? Do you really want to ride the bus all the way form Scarberia to Eaton's Centre just to buy jeans?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 8:31 PM
samsonyuen

I remember when artisanal booths and second-hand shops filled my local mall

Still, Sephora being in four malls in a metro of more than five million people isn't that bad. There might have been a time when there was just the Eaton Centre store (and maybe Yorkdale), but as the city grows, so do the shopping options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada