HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 9:43 PM

Let's face it. Toronto and Montreal are very multicultural cities. A lot of people from Central America live in both cities, so it's normal to have a lot of El Salvadorian fans at BMO field or Saputo when such games happen. After all, football is a more popular sport in their country than ours.

Edmonton, however, should be better at filling up the stadium with more Canadian fans. Not many El Salvadorians or other Central American nationals in Edmonton. So in that context, they should have Toronto and Montreal beat.

I have nothing against Commonwealth stadium. Grass vs turf is no longer an issue, as long as the turf meets FIFA standards.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 11:33 PM

I think it's interesting that Colombia players their games in coastal Barranquilla, and it's been their national stadium for decades. It's the fourth biggest city.

Cali, Medillin and Bogota range from 3,300 to 8,600 feet in elevation. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. So instead of their players travelling back home from their clubs for internationals and having to spend extra days acclimatizing, they can just go straight to the city and play. Vast majority of today's team plays abroad and especially in Europe, but that doesn't really explain the reason for past decades when presumably almost all of them played in Colombia.

Bolivia plays at 12,000 feet in La Paz. They are not a good footballing nation but their record at home ain't bad. They've drawn and beat Brazil quite a few times at home. And the vast majority of the national team plays their club football at home so it's not that big of a deal for them to play up there in the clouds.

Now, Colombia is much smaller than Canada, but I assume most of their players fly into Bogota or maybe other big cities like Sao Paolo or something and then connect to Barranquilla. Seems like a pain in the ass. Though I don't know how many direct flights there are from Europe to Bogota anyway so perhaps they would have had to flown into SP and then connect to Bogota.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 1:27 AM
ハルウララ

Bolivia play at altitude because they have to - the entire country is far above sea level. Colombia play in Barranquilla because they think the weather provides an advantage for them - it gets exceptionally hot and humid there. Their record there has been better than at other locations throughout the country, so it sort of stuck in the 70s or 80s.

'So then Canada should play where it's cold!'

Not really. The cold would negatively affect our own players just as much as it would affect visiting players. Because a lot of CMNT play in warmer climates (in Europe, the US, or elsewhere) there really isn't much of an advantage to be had. Because our current team relies so much on technical skill the potential of there being adverse weather during the winter would probably create a disadvantage for the team, all things considered.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
'So then Canada should play where it's cold!'

Not really. The cold would negatively affect our own players just as much as it would affect visiting players. Because a lot of CMNT play in warmer climates (in Europe, the US, or elsewhere) there really isn't much of an advantage to be had. Because our current team relies so much on technical skill the potential of there being adverse weather during the winter would probably create a disadvantage for the team, all things considered.
Disagree, as has been posted earlier in this thread

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 2:24 AM

I think with the guys having grown up in Canada, playing in the cold would give a slight advantage generally against any team outside of the US. But is that diminished somewhat by having to travel farther with the added connection?

Playing at BMO from November to April could be that sweet spot.

As for the technical ability, I agree that if you're technically superior then I'd rather play at home in comfortable weather. When TFC hosted the final the first time, in December, I said please play at the Dome. Our quality will really shine through. The argument for BMO was that it's "our house". Ya well 50,000 supporters in a comfortable setting could have provided that extra edge to get that goal and not go to PKs.

I was at the game for CCL against Beckham's Galaxy at the Dome and the atmosphere was electric by TFC standards. I really thought it would have provided that extra advantage.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:57 AM
The New Republic

Interesting to see so many El Salvador fans at the BMO soccer game. It's to be expected, I suppose. There are lots of people from absolutely everywhere in Toronto and soccer is a very big sport outside Canada. Same thing happened when Canada hosted Greece at the 1994 FIBA World Cup in Toronto. Unfortunately in that game, way more people were cheering for Greece despite it being a home game for Canada. At least this time around, most of the crowd were cheering for Canada.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:47 PM

Anyone know when they will release tickets for the October games? I would really like to take a trip down to see them play!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Let's face it. Toronto and Montreal are very multicultural cities. A lot of people from Central America live in both cities, so it's normal to have a lot of El Salvadorian fans at BMO field or Saputo when such games happen. After all, football is a more popular sport in their country than ours.

Edmonton, however, should be better at filling up the stadium with more Canadian fans. Not many El Salvadorians or other Central American nationals in Edmonton. So in that context, they should have Toronto and Montreal beat.

It happens in certain other countries too. I believe the US MNT was once booed by the crowd in LA when they played Mexico.

I do think there are other factors (distinct, often specific to each city) that will for the foreseeable future make it tough to get stadiums in Toronto and Montreal filled with Canadian MNT fans.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I do think there are other factors (distinct, often specific to each city) that will for the foreseeable future make it tough to get stadiums in Toronto and Montreal filled with Canadian MNT fans.
Not really, Wheels said it at the end of the OneSoccer YouTube video, it is a simple matter of getting out and buying up all the tickets first, and Toronto has not been very good at doing that. And I don't buy the usual excuse of the game wasn't publicized and people don't know, the foreigners always seem to know.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Anyone know when they will release tickets for the October games? I would really like to take a trip down to see them play!
World Cup Qualifying - Tickets - Canada vs Panama - BMO Field - Oct. 13th

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 1:00 AM

Still nothing!!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Still nothing!!
I'm pretty sure that will be the first place to know so you aren't missing anything.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I'm pretty sure that will be the first place to know so you aren't missing anything.
I know, I'm just complaining since I want to know if I get seats before I book off work to make the trek. Sounds like they may be petitioning for a full stadium which may be causing some of the delays. Here's hoping!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 2:44 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Totally untrue, we have played men's WCQ and a FIFA WWC on artificial turf. Edmonton is a very well kept stadium, that would be like saying the US couldn't play in the Rose Bowl or USC because they were 100 years old. Some of the turf fields in Central America are terrible, I can't remember which one where the Americans were complaining about the bumps.

I'm not saying get out of Toronto as an anti Toronto thing, I would love for them to stay there (as a consistency thing), but they have to do better. Even though they didn't make a federal case about it, last night's events were mentioned by the players, obviously they wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't a concern to them.
Sure. But the reason the men’s team used to play in Edmonton was because it was the only grass field in the country. Now that it is no different than any other CFL stadium, there is no reason to haul players to such a remote city. If they want to play on plastic there is a long list of better places now.

Vancouver has a dome which might be of use in any winter games but in normal circumstances, games should be on grass. Our best players play in Europe. Adding several hours to their flight and making them play on a foreign surface is not best for the team’s success.

No top level player would choose a good grass field over plastic.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:35 AM

Having players being booed in their own country isn't great for success either. Depending on Covid, they may be hoping for a huge crowd in Edmonton (Davies homecoming) that Toronto has never delivered. And if you listen to Herdman he is the first Canadian coach I know of who engages in the Concacaf dark arts.

Why would we play in Edmonton in November? The same reason Mexico plays at altitude at high noon. My work hires several warm country employees, they do not like the cold, had a guy two weeks ago tell me they were already putting on the tuques and gloves on the night shift.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 1:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Why would we play in Edmonton in November? The same reason Mexico plays at altitude at high noon. My work hires several warm country employees, they do not like the cold, had a guy two weeks ago tell me they were already putting on the tuques and gloves on the night shift.
Your work anecdotes aside, CMNT's best players don't routinely play in the winter either, and the perceived advantage would likely be negated anyway. Add in the potential for winter storms creating tossup scenarios and unplayable fields and you're left with an unpredictable home environment. If we want CMNT to succeed then we need to have the most stable, predictable environment possible - and in the winter that means playing at BC Place.

Your insistence that CMNT keeps being booed in Toronto is simply incorrect. The Canadian fans there have been louder and more present than any of the 'visiting' fans, and provided great support to the team regardless. Feel free to bring out the Borjan quote again, though.

Mexico plays at altitude because Ciudad Mexico is their largest city with its primary stadium. Both of which just happen to be at altitude. Russia doesn't play in Siberia for shits and giggles.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 4:43 PM

Interesting how you try to spin and diminish provable evidence, it's a definite talent you have. Not one, but three players mentioned an issue with playing in Toronto.

The one thing you neglected is if Mr Herdman wants those games in Edmonton they are going to be in Edmonton if logistically possible. And I think he knows what is best for his team over some keyboard warriors (myself included) Plus, nothing is confirmed yet, the point may be moot.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 7:46 PM

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 11:18 PM

There is no reason for this game to be anywhere but the big 3 (TO, Van, MTL). They are the largest cities with the largest soccer fanbases. And I can drive to 2 of them!!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 3:57 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
There is no reason for this game to be anywhere but the big 3 (TO, Van, MTL). They are the largest cities with the largest soccer fanbases. And I can drive to 2 of them!!
Well, since Edmonton is a bid city for 2026 it makes more sense to get some games ahead of that versus having them in Vancouver or Montreal imo. Plus, having big games outside of the MLS cities will create more buzz for fans here and provide more growth opportunities for soccer in general versus in more 'established' markets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada