HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
i guess it's a bit early, but what does this mean now for the (completely unnecessary, IMO) Travis County Expo Center Expansion? Can the county claim the taxes for this project if the CC is not expanded or modified?
Since the city already instituted their additional tax, I think it's inevitable they use it for something.

I don't think there's any legal provision for rebating those taxes if they're unused.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:21 PM
Meh

I don't think a non-downtown convention center works either, but we're running out of land and options in downtown for the convention center to expand. And my own personal dislike of a vertical convention center makes me cringe, unless architects can pull a miracle. It's just the thought of a 6 square block sized midrise in downtown is pretty awful, especially when we're lusting after skinny towers.

Even if we had our convention center at the Domain, the distance to the airport would be comparable to other Texas cities.

Austin
ABIA to downtown - 6 miles
ABIA to Domain - 11 1/2 miles

Houston
Hobby to downtown - 8 miles
Bush to downtown - 16 miles

Dallas
Love Field to downtown - 5 miles
DFW to downtown - 16 miles

San Antonio
SAT to downtown - 7 miles

Fort Worth
DFW to downtown - 19 1/2 miles

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 21, 2021 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:51 AM
Meh

If they expand vertically to 150 feet on its current footprint...

3rd & Congress.

2nd & Congress.

4th & Trinitiy.

Red River & Cesar Chavez.

I-35 at 3rd Street.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 22, 2021 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:09 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
I actually think this would be great for our skyline. It could be a major architectural statement akin to a prominent downtown stadium.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:35 AM

I hope this sparks new thinking about convention centers. How to stack and not create such disruptive monoliths to a cityscape. ( I fully embrace the need for it... and keeping it downtown)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:36 AM

That would be bitchin.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:07 AM
クラブトクヨ

Yeah I like this idea a lot! Keep current footprint and go taller.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:32 PM
World Traveler

Wait, I'm confused...when did we get an Ikea downtown?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:43 PM

Does vertical expansion preclude reconnecting the street grid? Considering they would have to basically tear the place down it seems like they could at minimum do a pedestrian paseo or two when they build back up.

Maybe shutting down for a few years isn't palatable to the people running the convention center but vertical build up/down (or both) is clearly a more efficient use of space and would likely result in that part of downtown being more lively in the end.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Does vertical expansion preclude reconnecting the street grid? Considering they would have to basically tear the place down it seems like they could at minimum do a pedestrian paseo or two when they build back up.

Maybe shutting down for a few years isn't palatable to the people running the convention center but vertical build up/down (or both) is clearly a more efficient use of space and would likely result in that part of downtown being more lively in the end.
That was a part of the previous plan so I don't know why it couldn't be a part of this one.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:15 PM

A thought without knowing everything is possible; An architecture competition ... with the idea of ​​tearing down the entire area ... and new in the 21st century. Would that even be possible?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:15 PM

At this point, going vertical is pretty much the only option. ACC is landlocked, for all intents and purposes. And from a practical standpoint, I have a feeling that most stakeholders will want to see the band aid ripped off completely -- the building completely torn down and rebuilt all at once -- rather than trying to do it in pieces, while keeping a portion of the facility open. Honestly, we've gotta get this done ASAP -- we've already lost so much ground to competitive facilities . . . it's a bit embarrasing.

And it'll definitely be a huge building when all is said and done -- and I have a feeling that it could be even taller than Kevin's massing. Whoever said upthread that it could be like an urban stadium isn't probably too far off. I'm most excited about the green roof -- really hoping they keep that part of the design!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
That was a part of the previous plan so I don't know why it couldn't be a part of this one.
Exactly. The biggest questions will likely be around the logistics/implementation.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:42 PM
World Traveler

I'm slightly disappointed that my ridiculous Ikea comment didn't get any further attention...

The more I think about it, I'm excited for the opportunity that Austin has to re-think how convention centers can/could/should be done. This might be a blessing for our downtown area in some ways.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:33 PM

I'd love to see a publicly accessible green roof added to a vertical expansion of the convention center. With the right design and programming, the roof could become a great amenity for convention-goers and regular Austinites alike.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:56 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'm slightly disappointed that my ridiculous Ikea comment didn't get any further attention...

The more I think about it, I'm excited for the opportunity that Austin has to re-think how convention centers can/could/should be done. This might be a blessing for our downtown area in some ways.
Well, it has been unnecessarily difficult to get built so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post
I'd love to see a publicly accessible green roof added to a vertical expansion of the convention center. With the right design and programming, the roof could become a great amenity for convention-goers and regular Austinites alike.
Me, too. If I'm not mistaken, they were considering it with one of the expansion plans. Since it would be city owned, it could technically be a "park".

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:19 PM

CC Expansion Undergound?

Has the city considered going underground instead of buying more land or building up? Moscone Center comes to mind. Do Waller Creek or Ladybird Lake present any technical challenges to going underground or are there other reasons it has already been ruled out?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
Has the city considered going underground instead of buying more land or building up? Moscone Center comes to mind. Do Waller Creek or Ladybird Lake present any technical challenges to going underground or are there other reasons it has already been ruled out?
Westward expansion would have included underground components.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:03 PM
Resident Moron

I am not a fan of a giant multiblock monolith downtown. Id rather they go up higher on part of the current footprint and sell some of the rest to developers.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Westward expansion would have included underground components.
And will almost certainly be part of whatever happens next.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin