HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 11:26 PM

Accidents between cyclists and pedestrians are never as bad as between cyclists and vehicles.

5 cyclists injured when struck by pickup truck on Sherwood Park Freeway
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...park-1.4782149

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 1:57 AM

It’s always a pickup truck...

I always wonder how long the license suspension is for these people. I would hope at least 5 years but somehow I doubt it’s more than 1 year. Killing people(or attempting to accidentally or otherwise) remains the last acceptable cause of death in the western world.
Like if anything else took the amount of lives as Motor vehicle drivers do we would declare it an epidemic!

Last edited by mintzilla; Aug 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM. Reason: Motor not Mother. F*** auto correct

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 5:17 AM

How the hell do you miss a bunch of bikers in a group ride? They're all wearing flashy technical gear, the bikes are colourful, there is a bunch of them, the road is fucking straight, they're on the shoulder....

I'm going to be ignorant and prejudge: he probably wanted to scare them and he overdid it.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 8:28 AM
Unregistered User :(

This is why cyclist ride on sidewalks in Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:48 PM

You do not get a licence suspention for running over cyclists, this will be a find for undo care and attention. It will be intersdting to see if any riders had a cameras on the bike. The team i ride with usually has a coule of cameras for this reason. I once road for the team that was hit. I am associated with a BC team that had a rider killed last year and the driver got basically a slap on the wrist.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
This is why cyclist ride on sidewalks in Edmonton
lol touche. I accept defeat on this one.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:11 PM

Regarding the discussion on bike lane using the bus lane on 109 street south of the river;
I always got the impression that the backups on 109 were caused by the poor light timings so the loss off that far (underused) lane wouldn’t add noticibly to the congestion.

As soon as you get of the high level you get a weird curve then stop lights. Then stop lights a few meters down. Then a crosswalk. Then more stop lights. Then that North of whyte crosswalk. Then whyte ave stop lights. All of which will never remain green during rush hour while you are driving one direction.

City council needs to
1. Fix the light timings
2. Put the bike lane on east side of 109 all the way down to Mac Donald’s
3. Stop making the simplest excersizes such a gong show.

Last edited by mintzilla; Aug 14, 2018 at 8:46 PM. Reason: I meant 109 not whyte

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post
How the hell do you miss a bunch of bikers in a group ride? They're all wearing flashy technical gear, the bikes are colourful, there is a bunch of them, the road is fucking straight, they're on the shoulder....

I'm going to be ignorant and prejudge: he probably wanted to scare them and he overdid it.
Don't be unintentionally sexist... the quotes from the RCMP suggest it was a female driver. "Charges have not been laid against the female driver. Police were looking into distracted driving as a possible charge." edmontonjournal.com/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Regarding the discussion on bike lane using the bus lane on 109 street south of the river;
I always got the impression that the backups on 109 were caused by the poor light timings so the loss off that far (underused) lane wouldn’t add noticibly to the congestion.

As soon as you get of the high level you get a weird curve then stop lights. Then stop lights a few meters down. Then a crosswalk. Then more stop lights. Then that North of whyte crosswalk. Then whyte ave stop lights. All of which will never remain green during rush hour while you are driving one direction.

City council needs to
1. Fix the light timings
2. Put the bike lane on east side of whyte all the way down to Mac Donald’s
3. Stop making the simplest excersizes such a gong show.
I don't know that it has to be east side, or that it has to be a single 2-way lane, but there is so much extra space on 109 that the fear of losing that curb lane is really irrational. I suppose some drivers feel that losing something that they don't need and rarely use is some kind of existential attack.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
I don't know that it has to be east side, or that it has to be a single 2-way lane, but there is so much extra space on 109 that the fear of losing that curb lane is really irrational. I suppose some drivers feel that losing something that they don't need and rarely use is some kind of existential attack.
Just a little bastardization of Niemoller because I thought it would be funny and it may answer why the complaints are trickling in:

"First they came for a portion of lanes, and I did not speak out—
Because I could still drive on the narrowed road.

Then they came for one lane on a four lane road, and I did not speak out—
Because I still had a lane and traffic wasn't too bad.

Then they came to take the lane going in one direction, leaving it a one way, and I did not speak out—
Because I never went that way anyway.

Then they came for my commuter route—and they claimed I should have spoke up when they started down this path."

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 11:01 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
With our homeless and vagrant population in downtown - no doubt in my mind any bike not docked and locked will be gonzo. I sure hope tax dollars are not used for that kind of an experiment. Let the private sector enter the market for profit if it wishes.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
With our homeless and vagrant population in downtown - no doubt in my mind any bike not docked and locked will be gonzo. I sure hope tax dollars are not used for that kind of an experiment. Let the private sector enter the market for profit if it wishes.
No kidding. Dollars to doughnuts that virtually all the BMX-style bikes you see downtown are stolen. There are few things so telling as a fully-grown "gentleman" trying to wobble his way along a downtown sidewalk on one.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:16 AM

You can buy an 'adult sized' BMX.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:03 AM
HVAC guru

we started a bike share program at our complex earlier this year. We have eight cruiser style bikes designed specifically for the purpose, tenants can sign them out with their fobs. The bikes have seen a fair bit of use this summer, mostly people going for a ride at lunch, but some have taken them to meetings at other buildings. I think the program will continue to gain traction just as our other initiatives have, It’ll probably die right off in the winter but it’s a nice good weather amenity

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:10 AM
Community Guy

Seen them a lot and what a great idea.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
You can buy an 'adult sized' BMX.
And one can steal one, as is so patently obvious almost anywhere downtown, the BMX's natural habitat.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And one can steal one, as is so patently obvious almost anywhere downtown, the BMX's natural habitat.
Why is this a surprise to anyone? How many of those shopping carts were purchased instead of stolen, yet nothing will ever be done. When a portion of society is excluded from the rules of law, don't be surprised when they don't follow the rules of law.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
we started a bike share program at our complex earlier this year. We have eight cruiser style bikes designed specifically for the purpose, tenants can sign them out with their fobs. The bikes have seen a fair bit of use this summer, mostly people going for a ride at lunch, but some have taken them to meetings at other buildings. I think the program will continue to gain traction just as our other initiatives have, It’ll probably die right off in the winter but it’s a nice good weather amenity
There is a bike share at our office as well, but will be more heavily promoted when we move downtown.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:20 PM
Community Guy

High Level Line - Now with T-Shirts!

https://www.highlevelline.com/news/tshirts

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton