HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 2:08 AM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i think we need a Richmond thread... i read someone was doing it, is that still on?
Yep, I'm still on it! I'm just collecting a ton of maps and info, will probably start this weekend.

Last edited by SkytrainCar026; Feb 11, 2017 at 3:10 AM. Reason: Image added

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 4:25 AM

That's looking good!! I wish I could open those map pics!! Haha

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Last phase of Suter Brook, Port Moody:

26 storey tower and 2 4 storey lowrises

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2017/0...f-suter-brook/

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2017/0...f-suter-brook/

The nimby lords on Port Moody city council rejected a 3-tower Arno Matis proposal for this site. They thought Port Moody was growing too fast, so they got their way and slowed growth to a pitiful 540 people from 2011-2016.

Source

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 4:58 AM

I'm excited for all of the future projects along No. 3.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 11:00 AM

I want to see something go up at the top of that area in Port Moody beside Inlet Centre station.. it's been vacant for so long!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 12:27 PM

Small New Westminster update.

There is another rental proposal for the Sapperton area. This one is 6 floors, with retail at ground level and offices on the second. The address is 408 East Columbia Street, which is right across the street from Sapperton Plaza.

http://www.newwestcity.ca/council_mi...UPC-3.2017.pdf (22mb)

John Knox Christian School is proposing a new secondary school to be built on the south corner of Third Avenue & 12th Street. Looks good.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:28 PM
A hole being Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post

There is another rental proposal for the Sapperton area. This one is 6 floors, with retail at ground level and offices on the second. The address is 408 East Columbia Street, which is right across the street from Sapperton Plaza.

I looked at that block on Street View. It looks like that block was zoned for 4 stories 50 years ago, and this building is 6 stories along with a recent 8 story building across the street next to Sapperton plaza.

I think projects like this are underappreciated. It's simple, does the job, just fits.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genauso View Post
I looked at that block on Street View. It looks like that block was zoned for 4 stories 50 years ago, and this building is 6 stories along with a recent 8 story building across the street next to Sapperton plaza.

I think projects like this are underappreciated. It's simple, does the job, just fits.
The newer projects along Royal Oak to Kingsway and in the surrounded blocks are slightly smaller versions of this - ground floor retail with 3 floors of residential above (and there are more in the pipeline).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 6:51 AM
retro_orange

Irving Living New Westminster

Got this in my email. This is another long empty lot that's finally getting developed. I would have liked to see something a bit taller but it will be 6 floors from the Clarkson St. side. The floorplans are very well done https://www.irvingliving.ca/floorplans/ (scroll down) and the views will be amazing. Nice courtyard too.

pics from https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/irving-living
Quote:

Irving Living is coming to market this Spring!

Thank you for your interest in Irving Living located at 218 Carnarvon Street! The latest premium development in New Westminster with amazing views and great layouts to choose from!
We are very excited to announce to you that Irving Living is coming to market this spring with move-in dates expected in 2018.

As a valued pre-registered customer, we will continue to keep you updated on the latest news for Irving Living.

16 Townhomes
12 Cityhomes
2 color schemes
to choose from
12 unique plans
to choose from
If you have any questions or would like to speak with us about Irving Living, call Tim Hill today at 604-319-4700.

More details coming soon!

Sincerely,
Tim Hill
Real Estate Advisor
604-319-4700
RE/MAX Advantage Realty
Visit our NEW website to see more details!
In our continuing effort to meet the challenge of product improvement, we reserve the right to modify or change plans, specifications, and prices without notice. Renderings are artist’s conceptions only. All floor areas are approximate. Deck, terrace and other outdoor areas and landscaping may change from the artist’s conception and are intended as a general reference only. Not to scale. This communication is not intended to cause or induce breach of an existing agency agreement.

Copyright © 2017 Altima Group. All rights reserved.
218 Carnarvon Street, New Westminster, BC V3L 1B8

You are receiving this email as a valued pre-registered customer at irvingliving.ca. You can unsubscribe at anytime.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 8:21 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you - - - you bear very good news!

I own a property near Sapperton and have been waiting for decades for something to get done on this empty lot . . . and finally! The Sapperton section of Columbia is going to be a very good 'village' someday. The developments just south (Brewery District) are good, but I'm looking forward to the main commercial stretch being renewed. Its a small version of the situation in New West as a whole. It has been slow to get going but it will eventually. SFH just up the hill have just passed the million mark. It'll take another ten years but I might even move there then.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 11:38 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you - - - you bear very good news!

I own a property near Sapperton and have been waiting for decades for something to get done on this empty lot . . . and finally! The Sapperton section of Columbia is going to be a very good 'village' someday. The developments just south (Brewery District) are good, but I'm looking forward to the main commercial stretch being renewed. Its a small version of the situation in New West as a whole. It has been slow to get going but it will eventually. SFH just up the hill have just passed the million mark. It'll take another ten years but I might even move there then.
I like this one too, I wonder if that is real wood on the facade? I'd prefer something simulated from a maintenance standpoint.

Last edited by retro_orange; Feb 19, 2017 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 8:25 AM

I forget what this is called but its in Coquitlam. Basically across from Uptown.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 9:41 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I like this one too, I wonder if that is real wood on the facade? I'd prefer something simulated from a maintenance standpoint.
Well, all I am caring about is more people, more retail, more 'new life' in the neighbourhood. The design needs a round of editing . . . its not really big enough to warrant that many different things going on.

(When I was a student in architecture school, I was harsh. I took every project as if it was a moral imperative to be excellent. I would have hated this thing. Now, its not that I have mellowed, its that I realized in discussion with a good friend, that holding those standards was stupid . . . for serious/theoretical reasons, but also because who wants a life of hating everything. Its a C+ world. So, a building like this is fine: it will become part of the background while serving the city well enough. I do wish the 95% of our buildings which are C+ background were at least competent in providing a high level of utility: good units to live, work, or whatever in. Sadly, often not the case.)

(Within the architectural world, the same issues arise. Only about 5% of the city's buildings are serious architecture. That goes for houses up to the biggest constructions. Within a practice, the split is (a guess) 70% bread and butter work (which we at least put the effort in to making them the best possible) and 30% architecture ('projects architects want to design.') Clients and budgets make the difference.)

You said: "I'd prefer something simulated from a maintenance standpoint." I'm guessing you meant 'simpler' rather than 'simulated'? I am curious - you judge buildings "from a maintenance standpoint"? How? Why?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 11:01 AM
retro_orange

That was way overthought. It was a mere suggestion to switch it from a material that needs regular refinishing for something that has the look but lasts 50+ years with no further investment of time or money. It's the type of thing that gets neglected over time so you should design for the future.

Designing for easy maintenance will save you money over time and will ensure the building will not only look good as new but will perform as such for a longer period of time.

http://pic.stonecontact.com/picture2...p409859-4b.jpg

Last edited by retro_orange; Feb 19, 2017 at 11:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 8:36 PM

http://www.polyhomes.com/community/fulton-house/gallery

fulton house brentwood area, looks like it is going near the fed ex location - 2338 madison avenue

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:52 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
That was way overthought. It was a mere suggestion to switch it from a material that needs regular refinishing for something that has the look but lasts 50+ years with no further investment of time or money. It's the type of thing that gets neglected over time so you should design for the future.

Designing for easy maintenance will save you money over time and will ensure the building will not only look good as new but will perform as such for a longer period of time.
I get that - I would normally hear it put that "designing with appropriate materials" should be among the priorities. Other than that my post had nothing to do with you per se.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I forget what this is called but its in Coquitlam. Basically across from Uptown.

It's called Crown.

http://crownbybeedie.ca/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee7903 View Post
It's called Crown.

It better be true to its namesake by having a really nice crown.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
It better be true to its namesake by having a really nice crown.
Nope.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley