HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
So you are right because the airlines lie when they report data to the government, their regulator? Because really an airline has a huge incentive to show that a certain number of people from Terrace, BC flew down south?

The Allegiant is another matter. 19,000 at Grand Forks and 29,000 at Fargo. I'd bet about a third of that is Canadians.
Actually the airlines do lie and missrepresent traffic figures all the time. However its usually because of lack of resources for the data pull than it is for other purposes.

As an example, Allegiant will only report segment O&D guests. If the guest gets onto another flight (as in make your own connection) within four hours of first flight arrival, Allegiant will still report the pax separately/ This is beause Allegiant does not want to pay the Data Scientist and IT programmers to collect information according to FAA/NTSB rules.

Westjet did the same as Allegiant until 2004 when they went into the transborder market on their own (excluded whole airplane charters that occured in 2003 and previous). WS reasoning for not reporting connection information was that their system (Openskies) did not report anything beyond segment guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ It really depends on when a passenger is counted as US bound. Does it occur when they go through US screen, do they look at the full itinerary or is it something else? The stats that were cited made it clear it was as reported by the airlines but not what criteria where used to determine o/d by the airlines. For example I personally have flown to Phoenix then onto Hawaii but not on the same airline. How is my origin and destination captured in that report?
In the case described above the reporting would most certainly be YWG-PHX stop PHX-Hawaii-PHX stop PHX-YWG stop.

Airlines will report on a PNR or ticket basis, and PNRs and tickets are independent variables. A PNR can have multiple tickets and a ticket can have multiple PNRs. The third aspect of the discussion is coupon (segment level reporting). Coupons must be associated with a single ticket but the coupon order can cross PNRs.

All the discussion of PNR, tickets, and coupons makes for very complex reporting tools.

Beyond the regulatory reporting standards, airlines also have access to other data sets. So for example AC can tell if a Winnipegger flies FAR-DEN on UA, so long as the pax uses their Aeroplan number. AC can also tell for all pax if the traveler has an ultimate destination through UA or LH Group as these airlines are part of the TransAtlantic JV and they all share data. AC can also tell if a YEG pax buys a ticket for YYC-LHR and drives down to YYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
congrats. HK is super-easy as an english only person. It's equal to going to Quebec. I would take my kids to HK (age 5+7) in a heartbeat, but not the mainland.
Agreed on going to HK but not Shenzen for the first trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I'm interested to know why not the mainland, as I plan to go to Shenzhen while there (and possibly Macau). I'm also planning to visit Beijing at some point, as well as Chengdu and Xi'an.
If you plan on going to Shenzhen or Macau, talk to an immigration expert first. You can land in HKG and obtain an arrival tourist visa for no cost. However if going to Shenzhen you must get a tourist visa prior to departing Canada.

China recently opened up their visa requirements for tourists to allow for multiple entry. The new visa is allowed for 10 years or until passport expiration, which ever comes first. If you want to travel to Shenzhen on the current trip and plan on later traveling to Beijing, Xian, etc. I recommend completing the following:
(1) renew Canadian passport for 10 years.
(2) once you get your new Canadian passport. immediately apply for a 10 year Chinese tourist visa with multiple entry.
(3) travel to China as often as you like for the next years. Just don't lose your Canadian passport.

A lot of frequent travelers are doing the above three steps now that China allows for multiple entry visas.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:06 PM

^ Unless it has changed very recently, you can get a short term visa on arrival at the Lo Wu border crossing point with Hong Kong. No advance application necessary. It's only good for Shenzhen and environs, though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:11 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
If you plan on going to Shenzhen or Macau, talk to an immigration expert first. You can land in HKG and obtain an arrival tourist visa for no cost. However if going to Shenzhen you must get a tourist visa prior to departing Canada.

China recently opened up their visa requirements for tourists to allow for multiple entry. The new visa is allowed for 10 years or until passport expiration, which ever comes first. If you want to travel to Shenzhen on the current trip and plan on later traveling to Beijing, Xian, etc. I recommend completing the following:
(1) renew Canadian passport for 10 years.
(2) once you get your new Canadian passport. immediately apply for a 10 year Chinese tourist visa with multiple entry.
(3) travel to China as often as you like for the next years. Just don't lose your Canadian passport.

A lot of frequent travelers are doing the above three steps now that China allows for multiple entry visas.
There are actually several other options for this particular area. Just like Hong Kong, Macau, as a SAR is visa exempt for Canadians for stays under 30 days, so that isn't a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Macau

Shenzhen, as a SEZ, has a special tourist visa for most nationals visiting Hong Kong that cross at the Lo Wu train crossing. It is ~$15 CAD and is good for a single entry and up to 5 days.

http://www.olinorwell.com/how-to-vis...rom-hong-kong/

The third option is a tour group (the group can be as small as 2) visa for the Pearl River Delta, allowing you to visit Guangzhou and several other cities with a guide. There are several guides doing day trips from Hong Kong for reasonable prices. That is also an option that I'm considering.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/ca/b...elta/index.jsp

Once it's time to renew my passport next fall (it expires in January 2018) I'll get a 10 year and get a multiple entry Chinese visa and visit the 3 - 4 cities I'm interested in. I only want to go to Shenzhen just to say that I was in the PRC.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:07 PM

Thanks for the additional options to exit HKG SAR to get th Shenzhen.

I was last in HKG 5 years ago Bd. the general restriction I relied on was that one could not arrive at HKG and immediately board a water ferry for Shenzhenor CAN airport without a pre-arranged tourist visa. Good to know there is an option through the train.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 7:43 AM

guess they dropped Freeport to put Nassau in

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...603582686.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

CFB Winnipeg will play host to the Airbus C-295 search and rescue plane for the Canadian Forces.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:32 AM

Anybody know what the Antonov 124 was doing in Winnipeg yesterday?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
Anybody know what the Antonov 124 was doing in Winnipeg yesterday?
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-82081

I know they are used to haul helicopters often. My guess is sea king helicopter from RNAS prestwick to 17 wing, then columbus to seattle for something else. They have a terrible range.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:16 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe there is an Antonov here fairly regularly throughout the year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:26 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I believe there is an Antonov here fairly regularly throughout the year.
The Antonov 225 is the really rare one (world's largest). That would create a big fuss if it ever was scheduled to land here.

I just googled it, and apparently China is starting to build a second 225, ready for 2019.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 9:46 PM
Heart of the Continent

I was hoping to get to try out one of United's 744s before they're all retired, but it looks like my HKG-SFO flight will be changing in the schedule to United's new 77Ws. That's probably not a bad thing overall. I'll also get to compare 9 vs 10 abreast, as the 772 from Chicago is 9 abreast, and the 77W on the way back to SFO is 10.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 9:52 PM

If I recall correctly a previous Antonov visit was to take a bunch of live hogs to Asia.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 2:30 AM
Heart of the Continent

United is making a lot of changes. There is no longer the routing through Denver, and no routing through Denver as an option. The flights from DEN to YWG has moved to the middle of the day from the evening. I wonder if in a case like this I could just have them reroute me with only the 1 stop in Chicago on the way back?

Edit: They did it for me - It's now YWG-ORD-HKG-ORD-YWG. At the time of booking, that would have cost me $164 pp. I guess I won't be trying their new 10 across 77W after all.

Last edited by jmt18325; Dec 10, 2016 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 1:05 PM

United is pretty good that way. Glad it worked out for you.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 3:31 PM

10 across is best avoided on longhauls anyway.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If I recall correctly a previous Antonov visit was to take a bunch of live hogs to Asia.
I don't think the AN124 is ever used for live animal charters. There was a Lan Cargo 767 doing a hog run to South America (via Miami) last week and a 747 here yesterday morning for horse (I think) heading directly to Japan. Generally the live charter flights are 747s.

The AN124 usually is hauling aircraft engines for cold weather testing. The last few have actually been giant rolls of steel cables. Not sure where they ended up going.

Also we seem to be getting a few more stops simply for crew rest / fuel stops.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 4:36 PM

Now that Delta and Alaska Airlines are ending their affiliation, I wonder if there is any chance Alaska might consider adding a Seattle-Winnipeg route? I know the odds are slim but it would be huge and really open up a competitively priced and convenient alternative to the entire west coast and beyond. YEG, YYC and MSP are as close as they come right now.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Now that Delta and Alaska Airlines are ending their affiliation, I wonder if there is any chance Alaska might consider adding a Seattle-Winnipeg route? I know the odds are slim but it would be huge and really open up a competitively priced and convenient alternative to the entire west coast and beyond. YEG, YYC and MSP are as close as they come right now.
They might do it via one of their regional subsidiaries, if they were going to try it.

I think the biggest stumbling block might be that Sea-Tac isn't the best hub; most destinations within the US require significant backtracking - except in the northwest - as compared to a hub such as Denver or MSP. The second knock against it is that Alaska doesn't have a trans-Pacific intercontinental operation so it lacks a motivation to feed-in passengers to that.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:12 PM

Would be pushing it with a Q400. O&D is low, with only 6,500 in 2014 [Page 125]. So I doubt it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Would be pushing it with a Q400. O&D is low, with only 6,500 in 2014 [Page 125]. So I doubt it.

It wouldn't necessarily be about the O&D. I doubt many people flying to MSP from YWG are actually headed there... it's all about feeding into the DL network.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan