HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:20 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperloge View Post

Can't wait to buy this playset

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:22 PM

^ CS ... Caillou Stadium?

The colours even sort of match

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
How many of BC Place's 200 days of use a year are events with attendees paying for seats in the stands and concessions being open for business?

McMahon in Calgary talks about how much usage that stadium gets but aside from the 10 or so Stampeder home games, it's just UofC Dino games, minor league football games, a few high school football games and practices for the Stampeders and Dino's and a handful of other oddball events.a. Of all of those stadium uses, concessions are only opened for the Stampeder and Dino games as well as sometimes a few high school games while seats in the stands are only sold for the Dino's and Stampeders.

That means the lights are on and a skeleton staff is still there for the majority of the McMahon's uses but it most likely isn't making any money. I wonder if the same could be said of BC Place's 200 uses in a year?
Sure, the marketing department of any venue is going to maximize their usage number any way they can. But, I can't see a BC place sized venue getting a lot of free/subsidized community use, especially if McMahon can stay as is, or take on the field-house role.

As for the concession thing, yeah it's good revenue, vital even. Wonder how revenues for sporting events would compare with a day of conference use?

While you might not sell any hyper-inflated concession food on skeleton staff days, many of them will grab lunch or drinks after work somewhere in the neighborhood, so the stadium is still a good thing for establishments in the area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:09 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Haha.

Calgary Stampede
or
Calgary Stampeders

I'd have done the horse, but....hey, I've used that program for a total of 3 hours now. Gimme some time.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Can't wait to buy this playset
I was tempted to do the mock up with Lego. I've got enough of those darn blocks embedded in the bottom on my slipper from when the kids don't clean it up.

Found TinkerBox. Online autocad site. Been fun to nose around on.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:56 PM
arf

The graphic of Calliou in he stadium.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The graphic of Calliou in he stadium.
Oh geez, I actually snorted when I saw that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Some interesting tweets from Rogers Place in Edmonton last night complaining about the length of the lines for the bathroom. https://twitter.com/OilersNation/sta...81693717618688

After attending a concert at Rogers Place that had me waiting 15 minutes in line to get through security at the main entrance and ten minutes in line to access the second bowl (one of the two escalators was broken and they wouldn't let people use it as stairs) this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Thing is the NHL and the Flames keep pointing Rogers Place as the shining example of everything Calgary hopes to gain compared to our tired old Saddledome. All I saw was a shiny new arena with a large number of private boxes suffering from the exact same problems fans complain about at the Saddledome except the Saddledome offered far better concession options. If this is what progress looks like at the cost of hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars the Flames can forget it.
That is incredible. Of course Gary Bettman didn't have to go up there did he.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
Sure, the marketing department of any venue is going to maximize their usage number any way they can. But, I can't see a BC place sized venue getting a lot of free/subsidized community use, especially if McMahon can stay as is, or take on the field-house role.

As for the concession thing, yeah it's good revenue, vital even. Wonder how revenues for sporting events would compare with a day of conference use?

While you might not sell any hyper-inflated concession food on skeleton staff days, many of them will grab lunch or drinks after work somewhere in the neighborhood, so the stadium is still a good thing for establishments in the area.

The field house will need to be covered, something that can be used 24/7/365 basically.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:25 PM

Flames Plan B arena details to be unveiled on Monday.

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4079031

Quote:
Details about a proposal for a new Calgary arena are expected to be made public Monday.

For months, there have been hints about the so-called "Plan B." The proposal is to build a replacement for the Saddledome in Victoria Park, instead of the proposed CalgaryNext project in the West Village that includes an arena, stadium and fieldhouse.

In a report to city council to be discussed Monday, the plan is now called the "Victoria Park Option."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:20 PM

^^^ I almost don't even care anymore. It's dragged on so goddamned long and can't get excited about it anymore.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Flames Plan B arena details to be unveiled on Monday.

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4079031
The great thing about this option is that it will re-start almost set-to-go plans for the Stampede, including Olympic Way (restaurants and services), the BMO Centre (hall F plus integration of more convention type facilities) and the 17th avenue integration (including replacing Big 4). This will create broader opportunities for businesses, and build on all the infrastructure already in-place. From the Flames owners' perspective the downside will be, they can't make even more money delivering all the additional services themselves (as they had hoped to do in West Village where some own additional land and wanted dibs on other development rights). Of the two, this one is clearly best, and I'm looking forward to Olympic way being fully developed all the way up through East Village.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:59 AM
YYC

I'm at the point now with this project now, that I don't care where I goes or how much its costs I just want a new f*cking arena...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:44 AM
Moran supreme

New thread title - New Victoria Park arena?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by People.talking View Post
I just want a new f*cking arena...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
New thread title - New Victoria Park arena?
Perhaps just make it generic IE new arena. That way "other" locations can also be discussed. Clearly the telegraphing by many on this forum about it being west village and only west village was proven wrong.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
The great thing about this option is that it will re-start almost set-to-go plans for the Stampede, including Olympic Way (restaurants and services), the BMO Centre (hall F plus integration of more convention type facilities) and the 17th avenue integration (including replacing Big 4). This will create broader opportunities for businesses, and build on all the infrastructure already in-place. From the Flames owners' perspective the downside will be, they can't make even more money delivering all the additional services themselves (as they had hoped to do in West Village where some own additional land and wanted dibs on other development rights). Of the two, this one is clearly best, and I'm looking forward to Olympic way being fully developed all the way up through East Village.
It's no Firepark, though.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:36 PM

Glad to hear details are going to be released so soon.

This proposal seems much more plausible and could come to fruition sooner than later.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Glad to hear details are going to be released so soon.

This proposal seems much more plausible and could come to fruition sooner than later.
I agree - this option in much more sensible and could assist in the build out of the remainder of the Stampede and Victoria Park lands. This could finally give Calgary a true entertainment district.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 10:24 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

But no replacement for McMahon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates