HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
There's a lot of rotting produce in California and Georgia that would beg to differ.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-f...s-immigration/

"In the last five years, he has advertised in local newspapers and accepted more than a dozen unemployed applicants from the state’s job agency. Even when the average rate on his fields was $20 an hour, the U.S.-born workers lost interest, fast.

“We’ve never had one come back after lunch,” he says."

The going rate for migrant labor is about $11 to $12 an hour. Going higher above $20 makes mechanical alternatives to manual labor more cost effective.

In any event the unemployment rate has hit 4.3% which is below the full employment mark of 4.7%. The job market has become so tight it's actually becoming difficult for employers to generate new jobs since they are having trouble filling positions. Migrant labor fills a need since there are, in fact, jobs that the native born are unwilling to perform at any reasonable price.
because unemployment benefits are worth more than 20 bucks an hour, so pay 25 and hour, 30 an hour, or get a mechanical alternative... yeah poor farmers they just can't catch a break they need more cheap labor and government subsidies

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:29 PM

^off topic, wrong thread, and migrant workers do not receive unemployment benefits and certainly non-existent benefits worth more than $20/hour... you appear to be living in some alt-fantasy universe...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:49 PM

love when this sub turns into a libertarian circle jerk

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 11:44 AM

Apple Store

07/08/17

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 12:13 PM

The Apple Store tower crane comes down this week (7/11 - 7/12 if weather is good). Might be a nice photo opportunity if anyone works nearby.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 5:08 PM

I am surprised no one mentioned this yet, but the Retail Thrive Zone (RTZ) program announced the 51 businesses that have received $5.1 million in grants to build or expand their business on the South and West Sides. Some of the awardees announced were long established businesses in the neighborhood, but many of them are new ones such as a brewery in Englewood, a blues & jazz club in Austin, and a cyber cafe w/ a coffee bar in West Humboldt Park. This is on top of the 32 new/expanded business that were funded by the NOF current pool of $3.2 million. NOF is still pulling in money from new downtown developments, and RTZ hasn't used up all of its money yet either.

In addition, Kurt Summers mentioned this week in the Tribune how the Community Catalyst Fund is about to invest $100 million in areas of the city where it's difficult for businesses to open up. Summers has said that the fund is also expected to leverage money from private investors who would otherwise be hesitant investing. I know marothisu mentioned in a post that they were excited about the $100 million investment, and it has a lot of opportunity to help people and businesses. We should start keeping a close eye on the commercial strips of neighborhoods in the South and West Sides over the next couple of years. I can already think of a couple of projects that would benefit from these funds.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I am surprised no one mentioned this yet, but the Retail Thrive Zone (RTZ) program announced the 51 businesses that have received $5.1 million in grants to build or expand their business on the South and West Sides. Some of the awardees announced were long established businesses in the neighborhood, but many of them are new ones such as a brewery in Englewood, a blues & jazz club in Austin, and a cyber cafe w/ a coffee bar in West Humboldt Park. This is on top of the 32 new/expanded business that were funded by the NOF current pool of $3.2 million. NOF is still pulling in money from new downtown developments, and RTZ hasn't used up all of its money yet either.
Good to see...need more investment in areas like this.

Quote:
In addition, Kurt Summers mentioned this week in the Tribune how the Community Catalyst Fund is about to invest $100 million in areas of the city where it's difficult for businesses to open up. Summers has said that the fund is also expected to leverage money from private investors who would otherwise be hesitant investing. I know marothisu mentioned in a post that they were excited about the $100 million investment, and it has a lot of opportunity to help people and businesses. We should start keeping a close eye on the commercial strips of neighborhoods in the South and West Sides over the next couple of years. I can already think of a couple of projects that would benefit from these funds.
Yep, this has been in the works for a handful of months. I know they were trying to take a more community approach to it by letting members of various areas input ideas of how the investment could be spent. I am excited to see how this will happen.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:17 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I wonder if Apple plans to clean the limestone below their store or "age" the newer blocks so that they blend in. It looks kinda crummy with the mix like it is. If they're going to put in what is probably over a million dollars in glass you'd think they'd want the stone to look good, too.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I wonder if Apple plans to clean the limestone below their store or "age" the newer blocks so that they blend in. It looks kinda crummy with the mix like it is. If they're going to put in what is probably over a million dollars in glass you'd think they'd want the stone to look good, too.
I can not un-see that now... thanks a lot!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:07 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Even better than that, I wish they would put up some of that metal mesh and grow ivy down there a la the AMA wall fronting the river.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:20 PM

^^^ and replace those decaying boat bumpers. But thats probally the cities responsiblity right?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Some of those corner pieces are probably over a million $.

Also I'm sure they will give the stone a good acid wash before they are done, probably one of the last things they will do, not way Steve Jobs iSpirit will allow this kind of imperfection even if it is contained and limited to the iCloud.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:51 PM

The Chicago Brown Line-adjacent shuttered Walmart sold to Centrum – would be a great site for TOD!

Quote:
River North landlord loses tenant, pockets profit

Moreover, real estate valuations generally have soared since 2011, and the River North parcel, which covers about 15,500 square feet, has high development potential, one reason Centrum bought it. Apartment developers have been especially active in the neighborhood in recent years.

ADVERTISING

"We don't have any definitive plans yet," said Centrum Managing Partner Arthur Slaven. "It's a good piece of property, so we'll figure out something."

Centrum bought the building from a venture led by New Jersey investor David Lowenstein. The Lowenstein venture paid $5.3 million for the property in November 2011, about six months after Wal-Mart signed its lease, county records show.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...in-river-north

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Even better than that, I wish they would put up some of that metal mesh and grow ivy down there a la the AMA wall fronting the river.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Apple Store

07/08/17

Is this real wood or some sort of manufactured product? It will be interesting to see what happens when the outside planks begin to weather and the indoor ones don't. They kind of have to maintain the same level of finish to give the continuous plane look.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:08 PM
tilted & shifted

521 West Diversey (site of the old Market Place grocery store)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Is this real wood or some sort of manufactured product? It will be interesting to see what happens when the outside planks begin to weather and the indoor ones don't. They kind of have to maintain the same level of finish to give the continuous plane look.
Probably some composite material, or considering apple's reputation for quality cladding, a durable wood that is naturally weather resistant. Although local codes would require some substantial fire resistance in commercial construction. My uncle owns a company that makes fire retardant and weather resistant coatings for wood that's used for outdoor cladding. Stuff doesn't fade, warp or rot so as long as there is resonable annual maintenance

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:56 AM

^^^ I've seen redwood beadboard under the eaves of bungalows that's been through 100 Chicago winter and looks pretty much brand spanking new. The right wood will holdup well in this shaded and water protected application.

In fact, it feels very much linked an homage to Chicago's prairie school roots in this way. Horizontal massing with wood eaves.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:21 AM

Moved

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:43 AM

Is anybody else really disappointed they got rid of the iconic river staircase for this Apple store?

I loved that staircase, the steps were so shallow and it was easy to walk on. It was also beautiful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development