HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:01 PM

^ Wow, his life really must have taken a few hard turns. I hope he can turn things around.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:11 PM

Me too. Damn. Good chance it's meth or other opioid drugs. That shit is everywhere now. A good percentage of my clients are caught up in that and will often do anything to get more.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:30 PM

He was charged today with three more bank robberies that occurred in Regina. He will likely be doing a significant amount of time. What a change from his previous life/career.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
North Dakota has an income tax rate of 2% too.
All nice, but it will cost you $20,000+ to have a baby or $1,000 to cast a broken bone....if you are uninsured that is.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
All nice, but it will cost you $20,000+ to have a baby or $1,000 to cast a broken bone....if you are uninsured that is.
Two years ago, my friend had the inside of his lip stitched-up for $7000 USD in Grand Forks after receiving an elbow to his face during a hockey game. It was a six hour wait for treatment.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:51 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Two years ago, my friend had the inside of his lip stitched-up for $7000 USD in Grand Forks after receiving an elbow to his face during a hockey game. It was a six hour wait for treatment.
Why not just drive back to Winnipeg?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Why not just drive back to Winnipeg?
He had insurance through his work.
At the same tournament a few years prior. another friend needed stitches so he drove to Gretna.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:25 PM

Hi all—I thought some of you might be interested in this. For anyone else, I apologize for the shameless plug.

My latest book is now in stores—Stuck in the Middle 2: Defining Views of Manitoba.

Here's a promo video. Check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot65KpfFN3g

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
Hi all—I thought some of you might be interested in this. For anyone else, I apologize for the shameless plug.

My latest book is now in stores—Stuck in the Middle 2: Defining Views of Manitoba.

Here's a promo video. Check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot65KpfFN3g
Looks like I will add it to my Christmas list. Great stuff.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:40 PM

I enjoyed the first one immensely... looking forward to #2.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And what you save on personal income taxes would more than cover personal health coverage with plenty left over to spend on other things, ie. actually deciding where to spend your own money rather than the govt.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:34 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And what you save on personal income taxes would more than cover personal health coverage with plenty left over to spend on other things, ie. actually deciding where to spend your own money rather than the govt.
Every man woman and child for themselves!!! Screw programs to help people who aren't me! I have another Audi to buy!

This kind of logic in Canada has always amazed me. Just move to the states? You're (in theory) white, they will welcome you with open arms!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:39 PM
Source?

Quote:
So, how much do we actually pay for our public health-care system? Using the most recent tax and health-care expenditure data, we estimate that the average unattached individual will pay about $4,257 this year, while an average family of four will pay $11,494. Of course, the payments vary according to income.
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...or-health-care

Average premiums and deductibles nationwide unsubsidized shoppers: Premiums for individual coverage averaged $321 per month while premiums for family plans averaged $833 per month. The average annual deductible for individual plans was $4,358 and the average deductible for family plans was $7,983
https://resources.ehealthinsurance.c...ithout-subsidy

Math! Take all your savings from private insurance and run rrskylar!!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
This economic titan of states, North Dakota has grown from a 1930 population of 680,845 to 757,952 in just 87 short years!

Actually, IMO the finances of North Dakota give a pretty interesting window into how Manitoba may have fared, if the province would have retained our more efficient "postage stamp" geographical size, with the northern part of the province kept as a territory - Hydro be damned.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:06 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Nope. Americans pay MORE taxes per capita for healthcare than Canadians. That's the blue "Public" part of the graph below:

The difference is that Canadians then GET that healthcare while Americans must pay a second time.

Maybe Americans' taxes are lower because of higher population density. Maybe some other reason. But not because of healthcare.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 9:26 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
This economic titan of states, North Dakota has grown from a 1930 population of 680,845 to 757,952 in just 87 short years!

Actually, IMO the finances of North Dakota give a pretty interesting window into how Manitoba may have fared, if the province would have retained our more efficient "postage stamp" geographical size, with the northern part of the province kept as a territory - Hydro be damned.
Obviously, starting with the pre-Depression population figure is going to skew any such analysis. Also, Americans are far more mobile - there are a lot more places a North Dakotan can realistically move to in the US than there are places that Manitobans can go in Canada -especially if they want to be within within a day’s drive of home. ND is far more like Saskatchewan in terms of its traditional dependence on agriculture. Manitoba is economically more like Minnesota - that comparison wouldn’t go so well for Manitoba.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 9:32 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Nope. Americans pay MORE taxes per capita for healthcare than Canadians. That's the blue "Public" part of the graph below:

The difference is that Canadians then GET that healthcare while Americans must pay a second time.

Maybe Americans' taxes are lower because of higher population density. Maybe some other reason. But not because of healthcare.
The “out of pocket” piece of the bar graph looks surprisingly similar for the two countries. I bet the average CBC-listening Canadian would guess that the ratio between out-of-pocket medical expenses in the US vs. Canada was 50 to 1, or even infinity ... but the graph seems to suggest maybe 1.5:1.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
So get insured? Not that their system is great, but 2% income tax certainly is.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Every man woman and child for themselves!!! Screw programs to help people who aren't me! I have another Audi to buy!

This kind of logic in Canada has always amazed me. Just move to the states? You're (in theory) white, they will welcome you with open arms!
Stop that bullshit.

The logic you just displayed, that any affront to our infallible (and horrible) health care system amazes me that so many Canadians hold it.

I'm not saying that the US have a great system, but neither do we. That Americans and Canadians alike always resort to this health care dick-measuring contest is so unbelievably shortsighted, because it does nothing to address the horrible care and high cost we pay here... regardless of what's done in the states.

And what kind of classist nonsense is that? His "Audi"? it's primitive to constantly pit peoples' successes against each other to avoid discussions.

The white comment? Take that lazy bullshit elsewhere.

Imagine your child has seizures and you have no idea why. You go to emergency. Despite the panic in your face and the uncertainty of what's caused a child to go completely crazy out of nowhere, friends of mine had to wait 12 hrs, watching their daughter have seizures, until they got addressed. The sysrtem had their reasons for handling it that way.

2 things to that:

1) You get what you pay for when "free" matters more than "care". Except it actually costs a lot. It should be way better
2) If that's your child, you'd pay in a heartbeat. You wouldn't be singing the tune of equal treatment and "free" (again, not free) health care when in that spot. The US system is NO solution, as they have a major pharma/insurance epidemic.

But Canada's collective "better than the US" and "free" knee-jerking is lacking any critical thought.

Every man and woman for themselves? Well, are you telling others to pay more, and disguising it as compassion? Because that doesn't sound like compassion. It's a nice crutch that a lot of leftists lean on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
So, how much do we actually pay for our public health-care system? Using the most recent tax and health-care expenditure data, we estimate that the average unattached individual will pay about $4,257 this year, while an average family of four will pay $11,494. Of course, the payments vary according to income.
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...or-health-care

Average premiums and deductibles nationwide unsubsidized shoppers: Premiums for individual coverage averaged $321 per month while premiums for family plans averaged $833 per month. The average annual deductible for individual plans was $4,358 and the average deductible for family plans was $7,983
https://resources.ehealthinsurance.c...ithout-subsidy

Math! Take all your savings from private insurance and run rrskylar!!!!
The original praise was for a 2% income tax. Those savings alone would wipe out the "high cost of healthcare" in the states.

Also, the same problem surfaces again... you point out the US, but all I see is we're top 3. Not a good place.

So why do so many go south for help? Because they're mean rich people? Or because they're not willing to put up with the bullshit up here? Think about it... I'm not defending the US, but Canadians are willing to go to the "worst" (because it's most expensive and that's what matters) system in the advanced world over our very own iconically Canadian system...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Yes. Driving is the number one priority for everything in our city. Even the diametrically opposed values of fewer potholes and building more roads to maintain seems to evade the most rational of winnipegger.
In fairness to ND, every intersection along that major highway is an overpass

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 9:27 PM

Hmm.. puzzled here...
I am not sure how I ended up on this health care page?
I was so certain I was going to the link of of Skyscraper Page Forum ....WINNIPEG CONSTRUCTION IX ?
Must be a broken link??

Last edited by BAKGUY; Nov 3, 2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: EDIT

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 10:22 PM
Source?

Eh, theres not really much to reply to your comment there Wolf13. You've decided to misquote me and take the casual dismissal of "crutch that a lot of leftists lean on." Of course you have also decided to provide no numbers/evidence/sources for any of your claims which I'm not surprised about. (for example, why are so many children with seizures being thrown on the streets in Canada without treatment??)

I suppose the only things worth commenting on would be

And what kind of classist nonsense is that? His "Audi"? it's primitive to constantly pit peoples' successes against each other to avoid discussions.

What discussions am I avoiding here? please do explain success shouldn't be condemned but avoiding social responsibilities while living in a society just because you believe you're above others isn't what Canada is.

My taxes go to roads I'll never use and people I'll never see (and since I guess you assume I'm a homeless "leftist" I'll haft to mention I pay A LOT in income taxes, that new Waverley underpass should be dedicated to me ), but those people my money is going to help will live a better life as a result. Not sure how that's "disguising it as compassion", that's a pretty narrow and pathetic way to view how a society functions.

Do you believe that all people that volunteer are just jerking themselves off and could care less about those they're helping? I'd ask you at my next volunteer effort but I suspect you won't be there

But as a few people have mentioned this is a construction thread for our 1 or 2 projects that don't have their own thread. No real reason to keep going as this will just devolve into your average twitter debate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan