HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:04 PM

hahaha I found it hilarious they listed each kids car, and they have 2 more on the way. Plus they host huge parties, etc. And do all this fun shit.

I actually don't see what the issue would be in having the driveway they want. The neighbours have one and they have mansions. So that drive arrangement is fairly typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So are they hoping to store their 40' RV in their front driveway along with 7 cars? I'd be annoyed if I was the neighbour.
I would hope they only would bring it there when they are going to use it and store it off site. I mean they have enough cash to store it somewhere. I would be pissed though if I was the neighbour and that was in fact their plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ holy moly.

7 cars. 4 trailers. 3 snowmobiles. 4 ATVs and a 40-foot RV on the way.

I wonder why Liam gets stuck with the minivan...
But what about Cole. His F-150 is from 2003!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 12:36 PM

It does sound like they live a bit in excess though I don't really see the problem with what they want. It is common for the neighbourhood and they do have a very large lot that could accommodate.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Manitoba Metis Federation threatens City of Winnipeg with legal action if homeless encampment isn't dealt with.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ium%3Dsharebar
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:09 PM

Not surprising.

The amount of garbage is astounding. As you can see in that article. Literally, it's a dump.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:26 PM

Homelessness is a tough problem but I'm not sure that allowing fire-prone favelas on main routes is really the answer either.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:24 PM

i have to admit that with that HUGE camp there, the riverside encampments haven't been as severe this year to date except for a camp right at the south end of the main street bridge which looks just awful when you're walking to the forks. flooding might have played a part in this until recently as well. suffice to say, this is an example of whack-a-mole as once they dismanlte this camp without an accomodation plan, they're just gonna scatter and it's just gonna srout up somewhere else. are there any suitable hotels they could buy like in BC for a quick, short-term response?

Last edited by Jeff; Jun 4, 2020 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
i have to admit that with that HUGE camp there, the riverside encampments haven't been as severe this year to date except for a camp right at the south end of the main street bridge which looks just awful when you're walking to the forks. flooding might have played a part in this until recently as well. suffice to say, this is an example of whack-a-mole as once they dismanlte this camp without an accomodation plan, they're just gonna scatter and it's just gonna srout up somewhere else. are there any suitable hotels they could buy like in BC for a quick, short-term response?
The issue of accommodation isn't often the problem, much of the time it's an issue of desire on the individual to want to be confined to a particular residence. Such a residence may have certain expectations or rules which doesn't suit an individual who does not want to be in such a situation. Often it can come down to a simple lack of comfort with a sort of organized situation. Someone with a severe mental illness may be drawn to a homeless camp due to the complete autonomy they can have that a homeless shelter just can't accommodate.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:57 PM

^For the most part, most there don't want accommodations. They want to do meth and they don't want to follow any rules. A worker approached that "camp" a few days ago to offer up some housing. Only two girls took her up on it. This isn't a housing problem, this is a drug problem.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:43 PM

Tough situation, last time the city/WPS tried to intervene and take things down after a fire organizations flipped out. So it appears different organizations have very different views on the subject.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:41 PM

i actually thought the MMF was ok with it, that why it was there. too many bleeding heart organizations got in the face of the City the last time they tried to do something about it.

i walk my dog to Bonneycastle dog park and homeless camp growing very big by there too. just brutal eyesore and scary for some people.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:57 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 8:44 PM

the very real and scary thing is on a windy day like today (60km/h+), one spark near the camp and we got a raging fire on the go.. kinda like what happened under the osborne bridge after allowing six plus months of debris to build up under there. there should be a strict debris clearing campaign often to tamp down on this risk. man, these camps are a hot potato...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 12:56 PM

I was working with some people that work with Main Street Project(MSP) and was told that MSP has a tenancy to over commit themselves and offer services that are actually outside their core purpose. Now this could be with the best of intentions but it hampers their ability to properly accomplish any of their services. I think them offering to be a primary point of contact to these homeless shelters was maybe a commitment they couldn't actually provide positive results on. Perhaps MSP should be the first call and as soon as they leave they allow either the police or another organization to remove the camps. This would allow for MSP to offer adequate services first and those who aren't willing to accept the services be expected to leave.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:12 PM

not Winnipeg related, Toronto related. Like so many of you, can't stand TO, however this is pretty cool stuff that Google is trying to pull off on the waterfront.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMys...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
not Winnipeg related, Toronto related. Like so many of you, can't stand TO, however this is pretty cool stuff that Google is trying to pull off on the waterfront.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMys...ature=youtu.be
That plan got canceled. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ject-1.5559370

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^For the most part, most there don't want accommodations. They want to do meth and they don't want to follow any rules. A worker approached that "camp" a few days ago to offer up some housing. Only two girls took her up on it. This isn't a housing problem, this is a drug problem.
bingo, drugs, stolen goods and the rest of the human misery that goes with that lifestyle “choice”!

That being said, I’ve posted a few times that A secure fenced compound with washroom and wash facilities Should be the answer for those allergic to homeless shelters and their rules which usually means no drugs, weapons or violence allowed!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i actually thought the MMF was ok with it, that why it was there. too many bleeding heart organizations got in the face of the City the last time they tried to do something about it.

i walk my dog to Bonneycastle dog park and homeless camp growing very big by there too. just brutal eyesore and scary for some people.
Don’t know why the rest of us should have to deal with the squalor of hijacked parks and the costs to clean up the mess the bums, druggies and deadbeats leave behind!

Gutless politicians like Bowman provide zero leadership on this matter!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:44 PM

Good thing we’ll have a lot of former police budget to put toward this issue soon

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
bingo, drugs, stolen goods and the rest of the human misery that goes with that lifestyle “choice”!

That being said, I’ve posted a few times that A secure fenced compound with washroom and wash facilities Should be the answer for those allergic to homeless shelters and their rules which usually means no drugs, weapons or violence allowed!
That's the thing though. Where are you going to put that? Because if you accommodate it, more will come. You can count on it.

And then what does it turn into?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That's the thing though. Where are you going to put that? Because if you accommodate it, more will come. You can count on it.

And then what does it turn into?
The Disraeli encampment puts them close to three free square meals a day, if you are content to stay non-productive and a sponge off society and then spend any welfare assistance you may receive on drugs or alcohol Then there is a huge problem of maybe making it too easy for deadbeats and bums!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan