HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:01 PM
TL;DR

If you're dead set on a traditional New Orleans design, then I think you've got a pretty good one. I can only make superficial suggestions, since I have no idea how the building is laid out or what happens in back.

It would be nice if the galleries were supported on columns down to street level instead of cantilevered on brackets. For something a little different, you could try a Charleston style with slender white Doric columns and a wooden balustrade instead of wrought iron. One thing to consider: the people living on the top get screwed in the rain - they can't use their balconies. Maybe a canopy?

Also, the little light fixtures above the balcony doors on the top floor aren't historical.

Lastly: what is the material around the doors on the ground level? The warm-colored material feels wrong. A blue-grey granite would be really slick and historically accurate (like the Pontalba).

Or, less expensively, you could do a really smooth dark-gray precast concrete. That would give your street level a modern feel with a historical form. The doors could be swapped out for 4-panel steel casement doors that are similar to the historical doors but much more transparent/industrial/early-modernist.

Concrete like this (but without the holes)

Doors like this:

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The building is already four floors. I bet they just built the fourth floor as an empty shell, and will now just make partitions and labspaces. I doubt the exterior of the building is changing at all... but maybe I'm wrong...
That's right Blitzen. They even have a handful of the rooms on the 4th floor done, they just haven't done the labs or the offices

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:09 PM

Tennis:

I really like that building's façade, but I think Ardecilia is right at least about the top floor balconies. Do you mind me asking whereabout that's possibly going to go?

Also fellas, here's a little more about the former 6 flags site:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...x_flags_r.html

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:23 PM
-

Interesting, must say Im a bit surprised you guys dont hate it. I want to go a more modern route and others dont. I feel like the building is a bit out of place for its neighborhood with this design, but Im open. Great suggestions on the balcony guys. Thanks! BTW these are rough massings right now so It will probably change another 10 times but its a start.

NOLAMIKE I dont want to say exactly where but Ill say its in the 70130 zip code lol.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Tennis:

I really like that building's façade, but I think Ardecilia is right at least about the top floor balconies. Do you mind me asking whereabout that's possibly going to go?

Also fellas, here's a little more about the former 6 flags site:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...x_flags_r.html
Agree with everything Ardecilia is saying, especially about longer galleries instead of narrow balconies. They make the sidewalk shaded, add to the size of the space, and lower energy costs inside the house because the sun doesn't hit the windows and doors.

The only other improvement I would add is to wrap the cornace below the roof around the sides as well, so the sides don't seem so bare and plain.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:52 PM
-

This is really random but I saw plans to today for a single family residence on Magazine and Natchez street that will be around 30,000 sqft?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:46 PM
TL;DR

I'd definitely prefer something modern. But usually there's no point persuading somebody who's into traditional stuff to go modern. At that point, you just try to make the historical design as good as possible and find room for innovation.

I know you're not like that, but I have no idea who you're working with or what they want. I also don't know where the project is, so I don't know if you're working under HDLC restrictions.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:20 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'd definitely prefer something modern. But usually there's no point persuading somebody who's into traditional stuff to go modern. At that point, you just try to make the historical design as good as possible and find room for innovation.

I know you're not like that, but I have no idea who you're working with or what they want. I also don't know where the project is, so I don't know if you're working under HDLC restrictions.
I will be working within HDLC but they arent really againt modern especially if the building is a tear down. Its sometimes tougher when you build a completely new building because the choices are somewhat endless. Ill certainly keep you guys abreast of the progress and hope you dont mind if I seek some opinion here.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:40 PM

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
This is really random but I saw plans to today for a single family residence on Magazine and Natchez street that will be around 30,000 sqft?
Possibly an error? Or would someone really build a massive single family residence on that huge parking lot?

The assessor's office shows the last sale date in 10/2002 for $2.85 million (yet it's appraised at $923,000...go figure) with the owner being Harold Property Holding LLC and a mailing address at 610 South Peter. It is zoned residential.

*** OH and I forgot to mention along with the previous posts about the whole FMIA / CVS debacle that CVS has restarted construction at the new Napoleon & S. Claiborne site. Haven't been by in a week or two, but they were hard at work the last time I went by. It had been on hold while they reassigned the job to a new contractor (old one went bankrupt)*** Yay competition!

Oh, another addition, I was driving down OCH yesterday and that new building next to the burnt out school looks like the steel framing is finished. I can't remember what it's called but I know a variety of redevelopment / gov't agencies will be in it with apts on the backside.

Last edited by IceCream; Nov 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Adding CVS info

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:52 PM

The Birth of the 'burbs...sigh

Interesting pictures from today's "back in time" article in the TP

Causeway at Vets (bridge in the background)

Building Veterans in 1954...I hate Veterans Blvd...

There's more pictures, but i didnt' want to post 15 of them...

Quote:
1956: East Jefferson growth explodes

After World War II, East Jefferson exploded out of scattered hamlets surrounded by swamps into a vast suburb and commercial hub. The growth was driven here as it was nationwide: pent-up demand by veterans for a new type of home and the building of highways, as well as the specific Southern impetus of white parents upset at school desegregation....

http://www.nola.com/175years/index.s...rowth_exp.html

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:23 PM
-

[QUOTE=IceCream;5498764]Possibly an error? Or would someone really build a massive single family residence on that huge parking lot?

The assessor's office shows the last sale date in 10/2002 for $2.85 million (yet it's appraised at $923,000...go figure) with the owner being Harold Property Holding LLC and a mailing address at 610 South Peter. It is zoned residential.

QUOTE]

No I saw the rendering its a single family building although you wouldnt think it would be if you saw it on the street.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:29 PM

Yogurtland

I think yall might have already mentioned this, but Yogurtland is opening a location on Pyrtania and Upperline. Probably not the most exciting development to most of you, but I've enjoyed the one in Baton Rouge before.

http://www.yogurt-land.com/locations/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:09 PM

Yogurt Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I think yall might have already mentioned this, but Yogurtland is opening a location on Pyrtania and Upperline. Probably not the most exciting development to most of you, but I've enjoyed the one in Baton Rouge before.

http://www.yogurt-land.com/locations/
Yeah I live a few blocks away. I'm glad the old Pizza Hut won't be vacant any longer (which I didn't use...and won't use Yoguartland either). I have a feeling there's a bubble in yogurt stores right now...Give it another year and a lot of these places could be shutting down. Before long we'll have 3 Pinkberrys and any slew of other chains and individual yogurt shops...how many yogurt shops does a city need!?!?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:23 PM

Grand Palace....

OOOOOOOOOoooo boy. Well the state claims the DEQ wanted to remove more hazardous materials but now there's a lawsuit. I could see that the DEQ has removed far far more material from the building over the last few weeks so that could have some truth to it.

I call BS on them trying to say that they've wanted to redevelop it all along and that they weren't trying to basically buy it at the foreclosure auction knowing that the state wanted it for the UMC footprint and double their money in 2-3 short years without having done a damned thing other than buy, hold, eminent domain. I think they're just trying to squeeze more money out of the state.

No date set yet....

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...te_taking.html

Quote:
State again halts demolition of Grand Palace Hotel

The former owners of the old Grand Palace Hotel building on Canal Street are trying to regain control of the 17-story structure scheduled for implosion as part of the University Medical Center development in Mid-City. Attorneys for the hotel's former owners argued in Orleans Parish court that the state expropriation for the property is unconstitutional because UMC will not actually sit anywhere on the land...

....Contrary to impressions that the owners sought only to flip the property as part of the UMC development, Smith said the developers have always wanted to restore the property as a mix of commercial and residential property...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I have a feeling there's a bubble in yogurt stores right now...Give it another year and a lot of these places could be shutting down. Before long we'll have 3 Pinkberrys and any slew of other chains and individual yogurt shops...how many yogurt shops does a city need!?!?
I agree, Red Mango has already closed it's New Orleans area stores. Next year some new food trend will come, just as cupcakes, macarons, and food trucks were all the rage.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 10:32 PM

Plaza Tower deal closed

"The buyer from a month-ago auction has closed on the purchase of Plaza Tower for $650,000, according to real estate sources.

The 45-floor building, at 1001 Howard Ave. in the Central Business District, had a beginning auction price of $250,000. The building was put on the market for as much as $15.5 million in April 2010 after a $12 million project to remove mold and asbestos.

Realtors have expressed skepticism in the past that the tower could be used as a commercial space, saying the 7,000 square-foot floors are too small to house companies of a significant size."

Wow, fall far from it being listed at one time at 15.5 million.

Last edited by NolaWave; Dec 1, 2011 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
"The buyer from a month-ago auction has closed on the purchase of Plaza Tower for $650,000, according to real estate sources.

The 45-floor building, at 1001 Howard Ave. in the Central Business District, had a beginning auction price of $250,000. The building was put on the market for as much as $15.5 million in April 2010 after a $12 million project to remove mold and asbestos.

Realtors have expressed skepticism in the past that the tower could be used as a commercial space, saying the 7,000 square-foot floors are too small to house companies of a significant size."

Wow, fall far from it being listed at one time at 15.5 million.
Its important to remember that the cost of the purchase of this building is negligible compared to the ultimate costs to put it back into commerce. The insurance alone right now is 300,000 a year(even empty). So while it seems like a steal it isnt. Best thing for the building is that its location is much better than it has been in really ever!

Oh and not to be picky but this isnt the WTC.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:13 AM
TL;DR

I didn't even know there were any Red Mango locations in New Orleans.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its important to remember that the cost of the purchase of this building is negligible compared to the ultimate costs to put it back into commerce. The insurance alone right now is 300,000 a year(even empty). So while it seems like a steal it isnt. Best thing for the building is that its location is much better than it has been in really ever!

Oh and not to be picky but this isnt the WTC.
Fixed. Brain lapse. I didn't mean to imply it was a good deal at all, more so that the previous owners grossly miscalculated what the property would be worth and spent $12 million for nothing basically.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 2:45 AM

and let us not forget the plaza is ugly as sin...(my and i think a popular consensus.)

I think a restored 225 Baronne and the WTC would do more for the preservation of vintage modern skyscrapers in the city;225 being my first choice I walked around the WTC and Spanish Plaza last weekend and I believe demolition of the WTC would create a better environment. It is like the whole city and street scape of Poydras and Canal are cut off from what should be an entrance and meeting place of two huge avenues. If you created an extension of Woldenberg Park on the space it would really help reconnect downtown with the river further.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations