HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:00 PM

I'm in the same boat as Swimmer Spe. I'm a single issue voter, and that issue is public transportation. Currently, the NDP has the most palatable platform.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppa View Post
I'm in the same boat as Swimmer Spe. I'm a single issue voter, and that issue is public transportation. Currently, the NDP has the most palatable platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Nothing. The transport critic's reaction to the HFR launch was to complain about the deficit and debt on Twitter. Her press comments were boilerplate complaints about the Liberals not delivering on this.

I don't think they care much about VIA at all. Let alone HFR.
Can you blame them? We're the oddballs that actually give a hoot about intercity rail. Heck, VIA rail could vanish tomorrow and 90% of the country wouldn't even notice, let alone care.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:27 PM

My issue with many of the proposals, especially on the transit side, is that they tend to step on provincial toes. This makes them unachievable without provincial cooperation.

The other issue is one of priority. In 2015, the Liberals talked a lot about infrastructure. But once in power, their priority and signature policy became cutting cheques to parents with the expanded CCB. Governing is about priorities. And I'm curious to know where all these grand promises fall in the stack.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
My issue with many of the proposals, especially on the transit side, is that they tend to step on provincial toes. This makes them unachievable without provincial cooperation.

The other issue is one of priority. In 2015, the Liberals talked a lot about infrastructure. But once in power, their priority and signature policy became cutting cheques to parents with the expanded CCB. Governing is about priorities. And I'm curious to know where all these grand promises fall in the stack.
Exactly. A promise for an RFP is just that. The LPC has SIX YEARS to build HFR and clean drinking water for the Indigenous reserves. They wanted legal weed and they got that. So it's not a question of what can be done.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:54 PM

The LPC platform released today pledges to RFP HFR by end of this year. Also, support for rural transit, bus electrification, and active transport strategy.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
You should be more worried about provincial and local elections then. The federal government will fund things, but it requires the lower levels of government to bring a workable plan to them. VIA's HFR would, indeed, be an exception but that really is the only public transit thing that's primarily in Federal control.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I am actually not a single issue voter. In fact, I am not even a voter who looks at what is best for me personally. I vote for what is the bet for what I think most Canadians care about. Via is not one of them. I was using it to find out what the platforms have since this is a Via thread.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
You should be more worried about provincial and local elections then. The federal government will fund things, but it requires the lower levels of government to bring a workable plan to them. VIA's HFR would, indeed, be an exception but that really is the only public transit thing that's primarily in Federal control.
When you don't live in the place where the largest seats are, you kinda feel left out. That is one of the many reasons the idea of taking Via and downloading parts or all of it to the provinces is unpalatable.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
VIA's HFR would, indeed, be an exception but that really is the only public transit thing that's primarily in Federal control.
And they completely bungled that. They could have at least put out the RFP and THEN called an election. But no. For that, libs will not be getting my vote.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:29 PM

CPC has come out in support of HFR.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/ottawa...1_5569817.html

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
CPC has come out in support of HFR.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/ottawa...1_5569817.html
YES!!! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
When you don't live in the place where the largest seats are, you kinda feel left out. That is one of the many reasons the idea of taking Via and downloading parts or all of it to the provinces is unpalatable.
The only people I need to be angry at about public transit in Calgary sit in Calgary and Edmonton. Same in any city/province and their respective governments. There's no lack of Federal money, they can hardly give it away.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 8:02 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
The LPC platform released today pledges to RFP HFR by end of this year.
Not being pedantic, but that's not quite what it says ...
Quote:
We will launch a procurement process by the end of 2021
As you well know, within the GC starting the procurement process =/= issuing an RFP.

And honestly, I have no idea what the difference between what is in the platform and what was announced in the April Budget or by Omar Alghabra in July. Seems like more re-hash.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Not being pedantic, but that's not quite what it says ... As you well know, within the GC starting the procurement process =/= issuing an RFP.
Fair point. The project website says RFP in the Fall:

https://tgf-hfr.ca/whats-happening-now/

But, it's true that starting the procurement process could mean something other than RFP.

I am relieved that there's political consensus on this. I was worried the CPC would simply cancel this. Now, I guess if they get elected, it might still happen, at least with delays as they kill the CIB and go directly to VIA doing the procurement.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Fair point. The project website says RFP in the Fall:

https://tgf-hfr.ca/whats-happening-now/

But, it's true that starting the procurement process could mean something other than RFP.

I am relieved that there's political consensus on this. I was worried the CPC would simply cancel this. Now, I guess if they get elected, it might still happen, at least with delays as they kill the CIB and go directly to VIA doing the procurement.
Yes, I agree it's good that our rival parties are on the same page when it comes to infrastructure. And I couldn't care less about the CIB. All they helped with HFR was money for yet another study.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 7:05 PM

I've had my reservations about HFR in the past (mainly that it's not ambitious enough), but it'd be a massive shame if this project died after all this time. So I'm very pleased and relieved to see this now has bipartisan support

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
I've had my reservations about HFR in the past (mainly that it's not ambitious enough), but it'd be a massive shame if this project died after all this time. So I'm very pleased and relieved to see this now has bipartisan support
A Conservative government would presumably frame HFR as a project conceived during the Harper administration by a VIA CEO appointed by said administration. Ironically, the lack of commitment and progress during two Trudeau terms might make it easier for the Conservatives to keep the project and sell it as a "blue" (i.e. Conservative) project...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 8:14 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
A Conservative government would presumably stress that it was a project conceived during the Harper administration by a VIA CEO appointed by said administration. Ironically, the lack of commitment and progress during two Trudeau terms might make it easier for the Conservatives to keep the project and paint it as a "blue" (i.e. Conservative) project...
Well if the Conbots win, HFR would be running through the PM's riding! So there's always that!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 10:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Paige Saunders, one of the most interesting of Canada's Youtubers, had an interesting take on the HFR issue. I feel he over emphasises speed and trip times and focused too heavily on the Toronto-Montreal segment while downplaying the Toronto-Ottawa aspect. I also find his approach to the freight rail conflict which basically amounts to "make the freight wait" was overly simplistic and kind of unrealistic. But his point about how improving the corridor is as much in the best interest of the rest of the country as it is in the interest of the locals is extremely important. I also was interested in his take on the Montreal-QC segment.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 10:20 PM

I hate the fanboy takes that always focus on Toronto-Montreal when Toronto-Ottawa has almost as much traffic and has much more potential under HFR.

In his video, he also completely missed the foundational point of the project: reusing an existing rail corridor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada