HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:05 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Main Gate Hotel

Stumbled across this document that CBRE put out while I was doing searches for the Main Gate Hotel. Gives a few more views and layouts of what the hotel/retail/parking situation would look like.

https://www.cbremarketplace.com/list...%20Project.pdf

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:37 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
Stumbled across this document that CBRE put out while I was doing searches for the Main Gate Hotel. Gives a few more views and layouts of what the hotel/retail/parking situation would look like.

great find! it says though it will be 9 floors, first time ive heard that.. i've always heard 14.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post

I thought this was supposed to be a 14 story hotel, on the pdf it says only 9 stories? But the drawing is 11 stories?? I'll be a little disappointed if it isn't 14.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:22 PM

I'm just excited that this project/development is starting to gain traction.

If this were downtown, I would definitely be frustrated with the drop in height and/or floors. BUT, with Level, Park Ave, and now The Hub (which actually gained floors from their original scope), I'm fine with the projected 9 floors...if it is indeed 9 floors. I do hope it is 11 or 14 though...the more the better for the skyline!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:49 PM

I know I'm a little late in throwing this thought out, but in regards to the current frontage road development...it is a major eyesore. I hope in the future some developers could buy out some of those properties and 1) build up and 2) provide a project that is aesthetically pleasing. If I remember correctly, the Theresa Lee Health Clinic (owned by the County) was suppose to close down or be relocated. So there is hope for that parcel.

I don't know if anyone has driven the 134 freeway through Glendale, CA, but I love how the freeway somewhat dissects through downtown Glendale...with the buildings so close to the roadway. I envision our downtown that way, with our north/south frontage roadways providing some modest-height buildings.

Lastly, to all my soccer fans, I'm so EXCITED about the progress FC Tucson has made!!! The 2000 grandstand is just the beginning. I don't know if anyone watches English football, but there are tons of small teams with modest soccer arenas. As all my family and friends have heard me preach...Tucson can provide that! We can do it. In my wildest of dreams...I would tear down (what's left of it) the Old Spanish Trail, the roach motels near it, and the Greyhound Park and build an arena and soccer fields for the South Tucson community. The target population is there...it's off the freeway, the current MLS teams who train here already eat at the restaurants on 4th Ave (mmmm, Michas, Mi Nidito)...it's off the freeway with easy access...and it's in between downtown and the Kino facilities. A planner can dream, right?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:18 PM

One last tidbit...I laugh at how some Tucsonans complain at the "overwhelming" height of the new 14 story Level "tower" and completely ignore the goals of the Streetcar, the upcoming complimentary "towers", and the already built UofA and Main Gate "towers" nearby.

So, I came across pics of a city's downtown that I've referenced here before. Oklahoma City. Check out the disproportion of their skyline with their new 50+ story Devon Tower...it's about 350ft. taller than any other building in downtown. Personally, it looks out of place! Nice building though.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ges&FORM=IGRE#

Last edited by southtucsonboy77; Jan 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Link did not show

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 7:44 PM

Downtown Tucson posted an article regarding urban planning today and included this rendering of the intersection of Broadway and Herbert from FORS.

What I find interesting is that building in the middle ground in front of Armory Park/The Herbert and behind TCB. It appears to be where the Codac building is right now and I'm wondering if it's purely fantastical or if there are some plans to redevelop that property. The building on the left side of the image depicts the Peach Properties redevelopment of the Santa Rita hotel site.

The full article is here: http://www.downtowntucson.org/2013/0...reetcar-route/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
One last tidbit...I laugh at how some Tucsonans complain at the "overwhelming" height of the new 14 story Level "tower" and completely ignore the goals of the Streetcar, the upcoming complimentary "towers", and the already built UofA and Main Gate "towers" nearby.

So, I came across pics of a city's downtown that I've referenced here before. Oklahoma City. Check out the disproportion of their skyline with their new 50+ story Devon Tower...it's about 350ft. taller than any other building in downtown. Personally, it looks out of place! Nice building though.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ges&FORM=IGRE#
You gotta remember though, that the ones who are complaining about the height of the buildings are those who probably don't want the streetcar to begin with so they aren't ignoring the goals of the Streetcar. They're just pissed off about the whole thing to begin with. InsideTucsonBusiness.com had a good editorial about this whole streetcar concept a couple weeks ago. Here's a link: http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...9bb2963f4.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 10:15 PM

New TMC Building

Just took this pic yesterday of the new tmc building I was surprised to see it done for the most part.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 10:22 PM

Sorry about that new to the forum

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossirian23 View Post

Sorry about that new to the forum
I drove by there a couple weeks ago. It looks really nice, I thought.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 8:44 PM
Tucsonan

Found the website for the new restaurant Proper opening at 5th and Congress,
its not on the website, but theyre working with FORS to create a patio thats along the entire front of the Rialto building for added seating and better streetscape vibrancy.

http://propertucson.com/

it says its opening in 58 days... so is that April 1st?

also here is a FB page for Good Oak Bar which is opening on the same block.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-...51267028349294

Both have great logos!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
Found the website for the new restaurant Proper opening at 5th and Congress,
its not on the website, but theyre working with FORS to create a patio thats along the entire front of the Rialto building for added seating and better streetscape vibrancy.

http://propertucson.com/

it says its opening in 58 days... so is that April 1st?

also here is a FB page for Good Oak Bar which is opening on the same block.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-...51267028349294

Both have great logos!
Per the Design Review Board site, applications have been submitted to build patios along the entirety of the Rialto block, the HUB/Saint House block, and the Brewery block on Broadway.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:05 AM

UofA REC Center...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
UofA REC Center...

Damn. They're removing Cherry in that block? I take Cherry as a shortcut past the Broadway and Campbell intersection all the time. Guess I need to plan a new route.

EDIT - To be clear, I think this is a great project.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 5:20 AM
Tucsonan

i live right on Warren Ave and today i saw them putting fences up on cherry. I wasn't aware they were closing Cherry either, nice to see the plan though. Im trying to figure out how tall the garage will be if its 900 spots. is that a fairly large garage?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:39 AM
Tucsonan

like the FORS rendering posted above of Broadway/Herbet.

there are many more in this package from other spots in town: Mercado, 4th Ave, Main Gate etc. All great renders, pretty sure most are all hypothetical as they have a lot of extra things in them.

http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/files/dsd/P...ay_19_2013.pdf

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
like the FORS rendering posted above of Broadway/Herbet.

there are many more in this package from other spots in town: Mercado, 4th Ave, Main Gate etc. All great renders, pretty sure most are all hypothetical as they have a lot of extra things in them.

http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/files/dsd/P...ay_19_2013.pdf
Interestingly, the building I talked about above is missing from the same rendering in the PDF. It's also interesting to note that the second rendering in the Main Gate District section is a closeup view of The Hub (or at least it looks like it is).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:05 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Interestingly, the building I talked about above is missing from the same rendering in the PDF. It's also interesting to note that the second rendering in the Main Gate District section is a closeup view of The Hub (or at least it looks like it is).
oh hey, it is missing... i didnt even notice that haha. and yeah I was thinking it was the Hub too since its on a corner.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:37 PM
Tucsonan

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...9bb2963f4.html

Story on the Shop owned by Derrick Williams:

His space at 178 E. Broadway, in the Julian-Drew building, is set to open Feb. 15 as VII Grand Premium Sneakers & Streetwear, a shop that looks to fill an upscale niche that Tucson has neglected. The store is spearheaded by a partnership between Escalante and Derrick Williams, born from a friendship that came during Williams’ time playing for the University of Arizona basketball team.

After a deal fell through closer to the UA campus, Escalante was pointed towards the Julian-Drew location by realtor Buzz Isaacson. “Downtown’s where I really wanted to be, I just didn’t think that anything was available,” Escalante said. “When (Isaacson) told me about this, I told him automatically ‘we’ll take it.’ I didn’t have to look at it at first — I already knew the building and the location — and things worked out.”
Upon landing the space, Escalante and crew began moving the process along by converting an office into a retail space — tearing down the plaster that hid the original brick walls, buffing and refinishing the original wood floors, and erecting walls to create space for a stock room and a changing room.

“A lot of people complain about what Tucson doesn’t have — instead of complaining, why not just...make the effort to change something. That’s what I did.”

I think this is exactly what Tucson needs, the added fact that its owned by Williams will get a lot of attention and probably attract a lot of other people downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest