HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I feel like a newsman on a train to the East coast on October 11, 1871 whenever I'm talking to investors from the coasts. I'm like "you don't understand, there has never been and never will be another such opportunity to make a fortune in your life as there is now in the rebuilding of Chicago."
Not to go too off topic, but the image of Chicago gradually painted in outsiders' minds is so skewed, I sometimes say that the general public now has a better understanding of Mars today than it does about Chicago, and I mean it as only a mild exaggeration.

Being more on topic, down the street from the abovementioned Diversey project, isn't the Days Inn at Clark also supposed to be under renovation or something? It doesn't really look like anything is going on there. And you'd think at least the 1970s style hotel signs would be the first thing they'd rush into the dumpster.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 1:46 PM

I'm still wondering what's going on across the street at the old Marketplace grocery on Diversey.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:27 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
you'd think at least the 1970s style hotel signs would be the first thing they'd rush into the dumpster.
I think that if the signs are nonconforming (to the current zoning code), taking them down would prevent the new hotel from having signs the same size.

Sometimes you'll see a McDonald's in the suburbs that has the newest 21st Century box design for the building, but kept their original 1967 golden arches sign out front. I always assume that means the suburb has passed a much more restrictive sign code in the meantime.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Not to go too off topic, but the image of Chicago gradually painted in outsiders' minds is so skewed, I sometimes say that the general public now has a better understanding of Mars today than it does about Chicago, and I mean it as only a mild exaggeration.
All of my "evidence" is anecdotal, but extremely true. A lot of peoples' ideas of the city is still circa 1990.

Quote:
Being more on topic, down the street from the abovementioned Diversey project, isn't the Days Inn at Clark also supposed to be under renovation or something? It doesn't really look like anything is going on there. And you'd think at least the 1970s style hotel signs would be the first thing they'd rush into the dumpster.
I think you are talking about the recently renovated, and opened, Hotel Versey:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/19...n-park-chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
I'm still wondering what's going on across the street at the old Marketplace grocery on Diversey.
I believe you're talking about 508 W Diversey which will be 12 stories and around 56 units? I believe it's either on the previous page here or in the High Rise thread yesterday.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ To a certain agree we all feel the same way. And I felt exactly the same when I lived in New York. Loved living there, but somehow I felt that it was no longer a work in progress the way Chicago is. Chicago still has a lot of "blank slate" left in it and I find that irresistible. And when summertime arrives, I don't think there is a greater place on our planet. Period.

But winter kinda sucks...
Before going to law school, I had a job that required me to travel throughout the country - LA, SF, NY, Denver, Boston, Pittsburgh, DC, Cleveland, Miami, Atlanta, etc, etc. I lived out of a suitcase. Great thing about that job though is after working about 2 to 3 days in a particular city, I usually always had a day or two set aside to do the tourist thing. And many times because my assignment fell close to the weekend, I would get to spend the entire weekend in a city. Because of that job I have been able to spend time in just about every major and semi-major city in the US.

Hands down, the best "summer city" I have been to = Chicago. Something special happens in Chicago that is indescribable in summer. It is a mix of the attitudes of the people, the festivals, the neighborhoods, the energy and spirit of the place and some other things that simply can't be quantified. Chicago transforms like no other. When you travel elsewhere you can really tell the difference. It is in those moments that I can honestly say that Chicago is the "greatest city in america" and say it with confidence while maintaining a straight face.

Winters = meh. Can be challenge. But in truth (occasional brutal winters aside), some aspects of winter has its charms.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Hands down, the best "summer city" I have been to = Chicago. Something special happens in Chicago that is indescribable in summer. It is a mix of the attitudes of the people, the festivals, the neighborhoods, the energy and spirit of the place and some other things that simply can't be quantified. Chicago transforms like no other. When you travel elsewhere you can really tell the difference. It is those moments that I can honestly say that Chicago is the "greatest city in america" and say it with confidence while maintaining a straight face.
Yep. Greatest city in the summer in America, easily. I was explaining to a coworker of mine who is originally from Texas yesterday about it. While the winters between NYC and Chicago aren't in reality all that different (NYC is a little warmer, but not by THAT much), the people in Chicago have way more of a "you screwed me over so hard winter, so I'm going to go crazy for the next 4 months" mentality. It makes it come alive amazingly well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep. Greatest city in the summer in America, easily. I was explaining to a coworker of mine who is originally from Texas yesterday about it. While the winters between NYC and Chicago aren't in reality all that different (NYC is a little warmer, but not by THAT much), the people in Chicago have way more of a "you screwed me over so hard winter, so I'm going to go crazy for the next 4 months" mentality. It makes it come alive amazingly well.
I have observed your posts for years now. I really appreciate your breakdown of the data points that are driving population shifts, real estate and economics within the city of Chicago. Although you have now moved over to the dark side (Lol) -- NY/one of the main culprits in driving a negative and outdated narrative of Chicago -- I still consider you a Chicagoan at heart. You obviously have a love for this place. We will be glad to see you back here in a few years

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Jun 4, 2017 at 2:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 4:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

676 N Lasalle and 675 N Wells projects

676 N Lasalle and 675 N Wells projects

But first, extraneous kitty pic:

by me, on Flickr

676 N Lasalle footings:

by me, on Flickr

Very gutted 676 N Lasalle existing warehouse building:

by me, on Flickr

You want concrete trucks? We got concrete trucks. 675 N Wells

by me, on Flickr

Crane base and alotta rebar at 675 N Wells:

by me, on Flickr

675 N Wells footings:

by me, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 4:46 PM

I agree about Chicago in the summer. I'm sitting in the Marina City Marina about to hop on an electric boat for an afternoon cruise and then am going to Maifest in Lincoln Square. It's June 3, going to be 90 degrees, time to let the summer festivities commence.

My friends from London came for the first time in late fall and it was very British weather. They came back for a second time in the summer and like couldn't comprehend how awesome the weather is. London just doesn't get the kind of heat and summers we do.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 2:05 PM

Garfield Park

Just west of the park - along Madison ?

June 1

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Before going to law school, I had a job that required me to travel throughout the country - LA, SF, NY, Denver, Boston, Pittsburgh, DC, Cleveland, Miami, Atlanta, etc, etc. I lived out of a suitcase. Great thing about that job though is after working about 2 to 3 days in a particular city, I usually always had a day or two set aside to do the tourist thing. And many times because my assignment fell close to the weekend, I would get to spend the entire weekend in a city. Because of that job I have been able to spend time in just about every major and semi-major city in the US.

Hands down, the best "summer city" I have been to = Chicago. Something special happens in Chicago that is indescribable in summer. It is a mix of the attitudes of the people, the festivals, the neighborhoods, the energy and spirit of the place and some other things that simply can't be quantified. Chicago transforms like no other. When you travel elsewhere you can really tell the difference. It is in those moments that I can honestly say that Chicago is the "greatest city in america" and say it with confidence while maintaining a straight face.

Winters = meh. Can be challenge. But in truth (occasional brutal winters aside), some aspects of winter has its charms.

Spent 18 years in Newport Beach CA, Scottsdale AZ, and Orlando. Each has their charms but Chicago easily wins out. I'm kinda grateful for Jan and Feb otherwise there would be 15 million people living here.

Spent yesterday doing some paddle boarding along the lakefront and then grabbed some grub and drinks at Castaways just bs'ing the day away staring at the skyline. So great

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I believe you're talking about 508 W Diversey which will be 12 stories and around 56 units? I believe it's either on the previous page here or in the High Rise thread yesterday.
No, I'm talking about the site directly across the street from 508.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
No, I'm talking about the site directly across the street from 508.
I think that is the former Market Place site, no?
Google street view

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I think that is the former Market Place site, no?
Google street view
Yes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Yes.
I've heard zip since the Alderman killed the 17-story condo plan a few years back.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Scottsdale AZ
....Each has their charms
i think youre being overly generous in this case

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:19 PM
THAT Guy

Fulton Market developments

Quote:
From magazines to menus, Time Out plans to open gourmet food hall in Fulton Market

The media group that publishes Time Out entertainment magazines and websites plans to open a gourmet food hall in Chicago's Fulton Market district, after the concept drew more than 3 million visitors in Portugal last year.

Time Out Market is close to finalizing a lease to move into all of a two-story 30,000-square-foot building at Fulton Market and Sangamon Street, according to sources.
And another to keep an eye on:

ADM to close Fulton Market wheat mill for new LaSalle County plant

Could be a really awesome conversion.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I've heard zip since the Alderman killed the 17-story condo plan a few years back.
Should be a midrise proposal coming soon for this site (and the parking lot south of it along Hampden Court). IIRC it didn't need a zoning change, just some variances, so that would explain the radio silence thus far.

Sadly I don't have any more details to offer...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
And another to keep an eye on:

ADM to close Fulton Market wheat mill for new LaSalle County plant

Could be a really awesome conversion.
The two workers pictured here will NOT be pleased to hear this - they love having a real job in the city, have no desire at all to travel to the burbs.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I searched back through the Recorder of Deeds records. The company who owned it back when it was demolished sold it in late March to another company. Found out what's proposed:

6 floor building with 30 units, 36 parking spaces, 19 bike storage room with 3400 sq ft of retail space on the ground floor. They'll need a zoning change for this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development