HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Status quo. I can't see much changing. Current polls say Douggie will win again. The most of a shakeup we will get is a PC minority.

Regardless of who is in power, I much prefer minority governments. Keeps them in check, and if they screw up badly... well it could be election time again.

I don't really see the Libs or NDP as legit challengers. I hope the Greens get a couple more seats however.
I wonder whether the NDP will want to replace Horwath if she cannot win.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 1:19 AM
Ham-burgher

I think she should resign if they don't do well. Perhaps for anything short of a win. The party needs a refresh.

And if she did quit provincial politics she should take a run at being elected mayor of Hamilton. She'd probably get it. Only one "new" face has announced being part of the race so far -- former Hamilton Chamber of Commerce head Keenan Loomis, who would be a great city leader IMO but the more strong candidates we have the better. It's long past time for real change in that chair.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think she should resign if they don't do well. Perhaps for anything short of a win. The party needs a refresh.

And if she did quit provincial politics she should take a run at being elected mayor of Hamilton. She'd probably get it. Only one "new" face has announced being part of the race so far -- former Hamilton Chamber of Commerce head Keenan Loomis, who would be a great city leader IMO but the more strong candidates we have the better. It's long past time for real change in that chair.
Who would make a good NDP leader?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:28 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't know enough about most of them to say. But someone younger. The NDP needs to get in touch with newer generations of Ontarians.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 9:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I don't know enough about most of them to say. But someone younger. The NDP needs to get in touch with newer generations of Ontarians.
Maybe it’s time for Jagmeet Singh to come to the provincial level or else he’ll become too old too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Maybe it’s time for Jagmeet Singh to come to the provincial level or else he’ll become too old too.
Wait, what? I know you are a pup, but life doesn't end at 50 you know. Singh is 43, there is no rush for him to go back to Queens Park. He was an MPP for 6 years already and an MP only since the 2019 election. I don't think he has a long future as federal NDP leader but I doubt he will drop that position until after at least one more federal election.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Wait, what? I know you are a pup, but life doesn't end at 50 you know. Singh is 43, there is no rush for him to go back to Queens Park. He was an MPP for 6 years already and an MP only since the 2019 election. I don't think he has a long future as federal NDP leader but I doubt he will drop that position until after at least one more federal election.
Even after he 'steps down', why would he be the best for ON?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 6:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I wonder whether the NDP will want to replace Horwath if she cannot win.
The NDP tends to stick with leaders longer regardless of how they do. Howard Hampton was leader from 1996-2009 despite mediocre results.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The NDP tends to stick with leaders longer regardless of how they do. Howard Hampton was leader from 1996-2009 despite mediocre results.
It is almost like they don't want to win. I am not suggesting after every election cycle, if they haven't gained seats they should change leaders, but if they had a real opportunity; like last election, and failed, they should get a new one.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It is almost like they don't want to win. I am not suggesting after every election cycle, if they haven't gained seats they should change leaders, but if they had a real opportunity; like last election, and failed, they should get a new one.
It’s the NDP. Aside from the fluke of 1990, when have they been a serious contender?

I do not believe that the Ontario NDP wishes to compromise its values enough in order to effectively be a palatable choice for government in Ontario.

When Bob Rae ended up trying to be everything to everybody (with terrible luck on timing) his support tanked. The NDP base accused him of selling out, and everyone else saw a government that was extremely conflicted. Rae Days still are remembered today.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It’s the NDP. Aside from the fluke of 1990, when have they been a serious contender?

I do not believe that the Ontario NDP wishes to compromise its values enough in order to effectively be a palatable choice for government in Ontario.

When Bob Rae ended up trying to be everything to everybody (with terrible luck on timing) his support tanked. The NDP base accused him of selling out, and everyone else saw a government that was extremely conflicted. Rae Days still are remembered today.
So, we are stuck in a 2 way race.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
So, we are stuck in a 2 way race.
This is usually how the province works.

It drifts between centre-right and centre-left, aside from the 1990s which had more political variation at the extremes.

So, it flips between Liberal and PCs. The NDP benefits when the Liberals are weak and suffers when the Liberals do better.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is usually how the province works.

It drifts between centre-right and centre-left, aside from the 1990s which had more political variation at the extremes.

So, it flips between Liberal and PCs. The NDP benefits when the Liberals are weak and suffers when the Liberals do better.
Except for Northern ON that flips between NDP and Liberals.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:26 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Except for Northern ON that flips between NDP and Liberals.
With the exception of Kenora-Rainy River, Thunder Bay - Lake Superior North, Sault Sainte Marie, and Nipissing

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
With the exception of Kenora-Rainy River, Thunder Bay - Lake Superior North, Sault Sainte Marie, and Nipissing
So, 1/3 of the ridings are not safe.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 12:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Horwath, Ontario NDP removes long-time Hamilton MPP member from caucus

https://www.insauga.com/horwath-onta...92yxJKZ4HXbbJ4

Hamilton East—Stoney Creek will have a new provincial representative after Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said she is kicking MPP Paul Miller out of caucus.

Miller will also not be allowed to run for the New Democrats in the in the June election. A statement Thursday (March 17) by Horwath, whose seat is in Hamilton Centre, says the party concluded its vetting process for Miller and has determined he won’t be permitted to run as an NDP candidate in this election.

The party vets all candidates each election, including incumbents, and doesn’t guarantee nominations for them.

In January, Horwath also terminated the candidancy of Steve Parish in Ajax. Parish, where the town’s former mayor was hoping to run for open seat in the riding where former long-term care minister Rod Phillips has opted not to run for the Ontario PC Party. There was controversy over Ajax’s decision 15 years ago, while Parish was mayor, to name a street after a Nazi naval officer from the Second World War.

Horwath says she has been informed of new information regarding Miller that uncovered during the vetting process that she finds “clearly unacceptable.”

The party would not divulge any details about the information they found, but a party source told The Canadian Press that it is something from the last four years and is not a police matter.

Miller, who has served since 2007, says he disputes the party’s findings and is consulting with a lawyer on potential legal action.

Miller held the seat by wide margins in each of the last three elections, never receiving fewer than 46 per cent of the votes cast. The runners-up drew support in the range of 26 to 29 per cent.

The last time that either the Liberals or Ontario PCs exceeded 30 per cent in the riding was in Miller’s first race in 2007. He was elected with 37.6 support, and Liberal challenger Nerene Virgin received 35.1.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 4:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Poll show popularity of Ontario Premier Doug Ford on the rise, but most still disapprove

https://www.insauga.com/popularity-o...rG97peL2SYFdKw

According to a new Angus Reid poll, Ford’s approval rating in March jumped 13 percent from the previous reporting period in January.

Ford’s overall approval rating now stands at 43 percent, a level he hasn’t achieved since 2020 when the pandemic began.

Still, the poll shows that more than half of Ontarians disapprove of Ford (55 percent), including more than one-third (36 percent), who strongly disapprove of the job he is doing as premier.

“Ford’s approval bump comes as the province is set to end the mask mandate in most situations on March 21, three weeks after removing its vaccine passport system,” according to the poll report. “More Ontarians believe Ford has handled the pandemic poorly overall the last two years than done well.”

Ford’s handling of last month’s Ottawa occupation was also widely criticized and more people he made the situation worse than better, according to Angus Reid.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 6:46 AM

Quote:
My MPP Gilles Bisson would likely do well as NDP leader. He has been successful in getting both traditional Liberal and Conservative voters to vote for him for decades. (Since 1990)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Poll show popularity of Ontario Premier Doug Ford on the rise, but most still disapprove

https://www.insauga.com/popularity-o...rG97peL2SYFdKw

According to a new Angus Reid poll, Ford’s approval rating in March jumped 13 percent from the previous reporting period in January.

Ford’s overall approval rating now stands at 43 percent, a level he hasn’t achieved since 2020 when the pandemic began.

Still, the poll shows that more than half of Ontarians disapprove of Ford (55 percent), including more than one-third (36 percent), who strongly disapprove of the job he is doing as premier.

“Ford’s approval bump comes as the province is set to end the mask mandate in most situations on March 21, three weeks after removing its vaccine passport system,” according to the poll report. “More Ontarians believe Ford has handled the pandemic poorly overall the last two years than done well.”

Ford’s handling of last month’s Ottawa occupation was also widely criticized and more people he made the situation worse than better, according to Angus Reid.
All signs are pointing to the Ontario PCs being re-elected. At this point I would predict almost identical results to those in 2018. The pandemic helped Ford get out of some pretty controversial things and Ontario ended up being the most successful larger jurisdiction on the continent in its handling of COVID. The big question is what plans does the Ford government have for the next four years. There really was no platform in 2018 so are they going to do the same sort of thing?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
All signs are pointing to the Ontario PCs being re-elected. At this point I would predict almost identical results to those in 2018. The pandemic helped Ford get out of some pretty controversial things and Ontario ended up being the most successful larger jurisdiction on the continent in its handling of COVID. The big question is what plans does the Ford government have for the next four years. There really was no platform in 2018 so are they going to do the same sort of thing?
However, if the other parties were to focus on those blunders, it may work in their favour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario