HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
Guessing new skylight for the concourse and goodlife... perhaps with an escalator going in that space too for goodlife clients.
New escalators being dropped through there. On flatbeds on Fort and another crane on site.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 10:57 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

That explains why they opened up that section yesterday.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:14 PM

Today they were using the portable crane to lift by my count, 14 pieces of large mechanical equipment unto to their pedestals on the roof of 330. Seems like overkill for that much for a one story (albeit large footprint) building.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:14 AM

Maybe replacing all the HVAC for Winnipeg Square too and putting it up there?

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Next Page:

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:37 PM

At the rate they're going, looks like GoodLife could be open this year. Does anyone know if they're planning to temporarily (or maybe permanently?) close off the south side so 330 can open as soon as it's ready? Seems odd that they'd be hustling through that part if it wasn't to open way before 300.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:42 PM

The core is starting to be visible from the surrounding area. Can see the concrete pump sticking up over the roof tops. Me likey.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:07 PM

Soon they're going to have to raise the crane so the core can continue to grow.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Maybe replacing all the HVAC for Winnipeg Square too and putting it up there?
Ya the HVAC units for the concourse are now under cover within 330 new construction. I was wondering what they were going to do with those.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:47 PM

My eye's might be deceiving me but it looks like some steel has been installed on the west side of the site. It's hard to see it with the scaffolding kind of in the way. Won't be long now for this thing to grow.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:46 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
My eye's might be deceiving me but it looks like some steel has been installed on the west side of the site. It's hard to see it with the scaffolding kind of in the way. Won't be long now for this thing to grow.
I don't believe they are. That does in fact look like steel!!!!!!!!!!!!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:47 PM
There is always a way

However, it looks as though they are more related to the part of the podium facing fort and graham rather than the tower structure itself.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:07 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:22 PM

Apparantly Earl's moving to 300 main and current Earl's site was sold to real estate developer.. plan to build condos there

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
Apparantly Earl's moving to 300 main and current Earl's site was sold to real estate developer.. plan to build condos there
big if true

I was walking by there the other day and wondering if/when something might happen. The Earls site is one of the best downtown for this type of development... a stone's throw from both The Forks and Portage and Main.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:14 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
big if true

I was walking by there the other day and wondering if/when something might happen. The Earls site is one of the best downtown for this type of development... a stone's throw from both The Forks and Portage and Main.
Tall please haha. That would be some of the best news possible. Along with the newly restored fortune block across the street and possibly/probably/hopefully a restored and refreshed Winnipeg hotel that would make that a pretty good block. There aren't actually that many lots to fill on Main but they're all in super prominent locations and feel like mega voids since they're all in a row.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Tall please haha. That would be some of the best news possible. Along with the newly restored fortune block across the street and possibly/probably/hopefully a restored and refreshed Winnipeg hotel that would make that a pretty good block. There aren't actually that many lots to fill on Main but they're all in super prominent locations and feel like mega voids since they're all in a row.
Yeah, even just a couple new builds would make a huge difference. The Earls site and parking lot + something on the Wawanesa site at Broadway and Main would really change the feeling of south Main even if there were other vacant or surface lots still left around there.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, even just a couple new builds would make a huge difference. The Earls site and parking lot + something on the Wawanesa site at Broadway and Main would really change the feeling of south Main even if there were other vacant or surface lots still left around there.
Walked from P&M to Fortune Block for Doors Open last Sunday. Went underground to cross of course - the Richardson side smelt like urine and an entrance door pane was smashed. Was an unsavory character on the Bank of Montreal stairs drinking and asked directions to the "yellow brick road". I digress on that as the point I want to make is Main St.

As for Main, walking that stretch on the east side really drove it home for me how pathetic it is from P&M to bridges - Bank of Montreal and Victory Building, Gov Canada services building, empty lot, then finally Earls, then empty lot again (gov vehicle parking) and then the train station.

Hopefully something will become of the Earls property and get that stretch going as it's ripe for opportunity!

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:25 PM

^ Pretty much... as lame as Portage Avenue downtown is these days in terms of what it offers, at least it's still a coherent urban streetscape. By contrast, South Main (especially the east side) is a mishmash of parking lots and buildings that have next to zero street interaction.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
^ Pretty much... as lame as Portage Avenue downtown is these days in terms of what it offers, at least it's still a coherent urban streetscape. By contrast, South Main (especially the east side) is a mishmash of parking lots and buildings that have next to zero street interaction.
Walked on the south side of Portage from P&M to WAG about a month ago on a Sunday for WJO. It's sad. Not a surprise or nothing new, but I just happened to take more note than usual of the vacancies and general decay. I thought I should do the walk again and count the vacancy to actual spaces ratio on that stretch, but that would only bring me down more.

SO much damn potential downtown, but so far to go.

But hey last night I did notice a new ethnic store of sorts on the south side of Portage near the Bay. Seemed new to me as I swear it wasn't there on my walk a month ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan