HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Why do the High Roller in Las Vegas and the Singapore Flyer in Singapore work.
Austin is much too hot for a giant Ferris wheel. Imagine getting stuck at the top while it’s 110 degrees outside and frying your butt off in the metal chairs. Bad deal. If we can talk seriously for a moment, a giant water slide would probably work best for the Austin skyline. Maybe even an entire water park placed on top of one of our more prominent skyscrapers. For instance, something like this would look incredible on top of The Waterline tower. Would really take our skyline to the next level.

Last edited by bobbywest87; Sep 2, 2023 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 5:46 PM

^^That coupled with whatever this thing is called on the Fairmont spire and a log ride down Waller creek and we’d have a whole new carnival district in the heart of downtown.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 6:11 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
^^That coupled with whatever this thing is called on the Fairmont spire and a log ride down Waller creek and we’d have a whole new carnival district in the heart of downtown.
Those are surprisingly terrifying. I rode one in Galveston on the Pleasure Pier, and it was quite intense.

I say this as someone who loves roller coasters, and carnival rides as well.

There's just something about being flung around rather quickly so high up in a seat where you're not particularly well restrained that made me feel like I was hanging on for dear life.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 11:11 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
Wow, this picture is from the article - I had never seen the tower lit up like this:
My sister's old neighborhood was out in Del Valle, and you could see the tower lit up at night from several places around it. I could even see it from their driveway and backyard. I've also spotted it from William Cannon and I-35. I'm not sure if it's still visible there as I haven't checked in a while. There are also a couple of places down Slaughter Lane where it pops up.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
Austin is much too hot for a giant Ferris wheel. Imagine getting stuck at the top while it’s 110 degrees outside and frying your butt off in the metal chairs. Bad deal. If we can talk seriously for a moment, a giant water slide would probably work best for the Austin skyline. Maybe even an entire water park placed on top of one of our more prominent skyscrapers. For instance, something like this would look incredible on top of The Waterline tower. Would really take our skyline to the next level.

A giant ferris wheel would have climate controlled enclosed cabins. This is seem on the High Roller in Las Vegas and the Orlando Eye in Orlando.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 6:56 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Ferris wheels have been around for 130 years. They are nothing new. They are a gimmick. Nobody says: "I'm going to Vegas for the high roller" or "I'm planning my family vacation to Orlando for the Eye."

And, a gimmicky ferris wheel will never be built in Austin. Period. There are a myriad of reasons why - including:

-Size of land. A 400' tall ferris wheel would require at least one full city block. Most of downtown Austin blocks are roughly 300' x 300' with a diagonal of approximately 400'. I don't have any current sales figures - but, based on sales over the past few years made public, a full city block would be around $100 million just for the land. Oh, and if more than a city block is required, good luck at getting an okay to perminantly close a roadway and/or allyway to complete the project.

-City would do everything in its power not to "ok" a ferris wheel on an unencumbered piece of prime, downtown, taxable land. They should be looking out for the highest and best use of the land. And, a very good argument could be made that affordable housing on an entire block is a better use of urban core property than a ferris wheel.

-CVC issues

-Forget trying this south of the river. Period. I'd love to see a developer fight Bill Bunch and his cronies over a 400'-500'+ ferris wheel in their back yard.

-No local developer I know would even entertain the idea. Austin, luckily, does not rely on tourism to bolster its economy (unlike Vegas, Orlando, etc...).

-Placing this thing in a rural setting (i.e., Long Park), is just ignorant. And, again, good luck with battling Bill Bunch and SOS with any idea of placing a tourist attraction in a city park.

-etc., etc., etc...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 6:21 AM
Curlee Capital

Big TX win over Bama - Tower around midnight

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Ferris wheels have been around for 130 years. They are nothing new. They are a gimmick. Nobody says: "I'm going to Vegas for the high roller" or "I'm planning my family vacation to Orlando for the Eye."

And, a gimmicky ferris wheel will never be built in Austin. Period. There are a myriad of reasons why - including:

-Size of land. A 400' tall ferris wheel would require at least one full city block. Most of downtown Austin blocks are roughly 300' x 300' with a diagonal of approximately 400'. I don't have any current sales figures - but, based on sales over the past few years made public, a full city block would be around $100 million just for the land. Oh, and if more than a city block is required, good luck at getting an okay to perminantly close a roadway and/or allyway to complete the project.

-City would do everything in its power not to "ok" a ferris wheel on an unencumbered piece of prime, downtown, taxable land. They should be looking out for the highest and best use of the land. And, a very good argument could be made that affordable housing on an entire block is a better use of urban core property than a ferris wheel.

-CVC issues

-Forget trying this south of the river. Period. I'd love to see a developer fight Bill Bunch and his cronies over a 400'-500'+ ferris wheel in their back yard.

-No local developer I know would even entertain the idea. Austin, luckily, does not rely on tourism to bolster its economy (unlike Vegas, Orlando, etc...).

-Placing this thing in a rural setting (i.e., Long Park), is just ignorant. And, again, good luck with battling Bill Bunch and SOS with any idea of placing a tourist attraction in a city park.

-etc., etc., etc...
A SkySpire observation tower 1,000 feet tall similar to this might be a good option for Downtown Austin. If this tower was placed in Walter E. Long Park, it could be about 500 feet tall. No tower similar to this has been built anywhere yet.
https://www.martin-vleminckx.com/por...tems/skyspire/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 6:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
A SkySpire observation tower 1,000 feet tall similar to this might be a good option for Downtown Austin. If this tower was placed in Walter E. Long Park, it could be about 500 feet tall. No tower similar to this has been built anywhere yet.
There are no "options" for downtown Austin! These types of tourist traps will never be built in downtown Austin (or any city-run park).

Go pester the DFW folks. If these gimmicks would be built anywhere in Texas - it would be in the Metroplex.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 8:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Personally I like what we already have now. Would be cool to have a restaurant on top of one of the tall skyscrapers (cough Waterline cough), however we already have several awesome rooftop lounges with excellent views of the cityscape. We also have the Observation Hill with an excellent view of the skyline. We have the boardwalk as well. I'm not saying I don't think we need more options, I'm just saying we don't need some fancy observation tower or a giant ferris wheel to make us cool.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Personally I like what we already have now. Would be cool to have a restaurant on top of one of the tall skyscrapers (cough Waterline cough), however we already have several awesome rooftop lounges with excellent views of the cityscape. We also have the Observation Hill with an excellent view of the skyline. We have the boardwalk as well. I'm not saying I don't think we need more options, I'm just saying we don't need some fancy observation tower or a giant ferris wheel to make us cool.
Idk...I certainly don't want to walk on the boardwalk in 109 degree weather to look at the skyline. Austin needs something that people from all over the city and state can visit without breaking a sweat or doing something "outdoorsy". We should have a giant ferris wheel like London or at the very least a skyscraper with a bar/cafe up top.

It's time we get big city amenities.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Idk...I certainly don't want to walk on the boardwalk in 109 degree weather to look at the skyline. Austin needs something that people from all over the city and state can visit without breaking a sweat or doing something "outdoorsy". We should have a giant ferris wheel like London or at the very least a skyscraper with a bar/cafe up top.

It's time we get big city amenities.
A 1,000 foot tall SkySpire tower with gondolas transporting visitors to the observation deck and revolving restaurant might be an option to fit the bill.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 2:42 AM

The boardwalk is more of a jogging trail than a real way to enjoy Austin and take in the views. There are a few small stopping areas that allow you to view the city. Now if we widen a part of the boardwalk to be able to add food and shops and rides like a Ferris wheel, that might be more achievable. The only spot that I can see on a map would be in front of Cidercade.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
The boardwalk is more of a jogging trail than a real way to enjoy Austin and take in the views. There are a few small stopping areas that allow you to view the city. Now if we widen a part of the boardwalk to be able to add food and shops and rides like a Ferris wheel, that might be more achievable. The only spot that I can see on a map would be in front of Cidercade.
Could a ferris wheel with double decker capsules twice the height of the London Eye be built in front of the Cidercade.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 3:27 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
A 1,000 foot tall SkySpire tower with gondolas transporting visitors to the observation deck and revolving restaurant might be an option to fit the bill.
Now I know this is a schtick. I was coming in here just now to troll mentioning gondolas and you already beat me to it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 1:10 PM
World Traveler

No, no, no....that one seems legit. In fact, I think it should be built on top of the State Capitol dome. Or the UT Tower.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:
so ugly. Jesus.

On a different note, I'm hardly downtown these days but noticed recently that nearly all our signature towers are unlit..? Is this true, or was it an off night? Frost was out, Pelli, and Austonian as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
so ugly. Jesus.

On a different note, I'm hardly downtown these days but noticed recently that nearly all our signature towers are unlit..? Is this true, or was it an off night? Frost was out, Pelli, and Austonian as well.
Last time I went downtown at night most of the towers were lit up. Frost is hardly ever lit up anymore. Just the Frost symbol part. Could have been an off night. They do shut the lights off during migratory seasons for birds. So that might be it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 7:49 PM

Yikes! I didn't even know about this at Bouldin Creek.. WTAF!

Shocking videos show Austin park littered with liquor bottles, needles and junk 'as far as the eye can see' as illegal homeless encampment grows

"The videos of the West Bouldin Creek Greenbelt were posted by on Monday"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ment-park.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Yikes! I didn't even know about this at Bouldin Creek.. WTAF!

Shocking videos show Austin park littered with liquor bottles, needles and junk 'as far as the eye can see' as illegal homeless encampment grows

"The videos of the West Bouldin Creek Greenbelt were posted by on Monday"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ment-park.html
Thanks in part to the SAVE AUSTIN NOW ballot and Abbotts laws. Kicked many of the homeless into the parks. It did not fi the problem just hid it in the trees. While those pictures are bad. They are just slightly worse than the creek by my house and that trash is all from people that have homes. People in general are trashy. I wish the homeless were better taken care of and had help for their drug problems. I remember living on North Lamar and pushing a baby stroller over the runburg librarys parking lot covered in needles.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin