HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I might have exaggerated a bit but I'm sure we landed somewhere near the top 5~ for North America.... Pretty outrageous for a city for our size/population. I'll give the engineers a bit of slack and say that maybe they didn't account for such a population boom that we experienced in recent decades but come on now, these are not 'unfixable' things... We already have a well established LRT infrastructure that is almost near capacity but yet, so are our roads... So I don't see what difference it would make? Divide it half/half, you're not going to boot 500,000 drivers off the road and cram them into an already overloaded LRT, you're not going to do it to 250,000 or even 100,000. Drivers will always be there because it is CONVENIENT to drive (and many other reasons), whereas LRT/Bus will always be limited, time-constraint and again, overcrowded. Of course those who need to take LRT/Bus will, and I'm not saying that I don't.... I merely only use it when it is convenient, although don't get me wrong, I do support LRT 100% and am thankful it is here and built to the extent that it is. But we need to stop ignoring our roads. A great LRT system does make a city great, but so do our roads, they go hand-in-hand and so far our roads really aren't living up to expectation. Throw a 401 style freeway with feeder roads in place of Deerfoot and you may be able to change my mind, but for a metro of almost 1.3m, we're seriously lacking.
It was a pretty flawed study based on TomTom's users who opted into feeding back data.

The study measured out of every hour commuting, how many minutes of that is spent delayed. What is delayed? Classify a road wrong on the computer map and it is delayed. Also: who uses a GPS on their commute? I think you'll have some pretty weird selection bias there.

The study rewards long trips between suburbs and punishes trips to congested areas. I'm not sure it is a study with much use for road building, let alone city building. The fact is we are not going to build more vehicle lanes into the central business district, and we are not going to build more parking than the vehicle lanes can support.

So could we ever build our way out of the TomTom trap without building a new freeway into downtown and a huge amount of new parking? I don't think so.

We could have perfect traffic everywhere else and still fail the TomTom test.

Quote:
Calgary commuters were delayed by 28 minutes per hour during rush hour and Edmontonians are only held up for 16 minutes per hour.

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/tom-tom-st...#ixzz2Qb3Gp07p

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:30 AM
Moran supreme

A study about some alternatives for McKnight Boulevard - link. Not sure of the vintage of this report.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:44 AM
Acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
A study about some alternatives for McKnight Boulevard - link. Not sure of the vintage of this report.
"McKnight Boulevard, a major east west arterial, provides a classic example of a major roadway with a diminished ability to efficiently move traffic."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 6:25 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
From the looks of it, it's from late 2003 or 2004. I remember reading that one when it came out. I think they had some open houses that showed those plans, but I think the consensus was that no idea was really liked all that much.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
From the looks of it, it's from late 2003 or 2004. I remember reading that one when it came out. I think they had some open houses that showed those plans, but I think the consensus was that no idea was really liked all that much.
That's the problem when a major arterial street goes through a residential area (especially between 4 St NW & Centre St with the houses right along McKnight) - the NIMBY's come out in full force.

I recall seeing a study online around that time, the proposals for smoothing out the McKnight-JLB corner all included an interchange at 48 Ave NW and taking out a large swath of Highwood. If that is the same study/open house, it would probably explain why it was shot down. You could probably do a better JLB/McKnight transition without taking out as many houses, but it wouldn't be a highspeed freeway.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 3:47 PM
Acey

Also the fact that jughandles wouldn't do jack to fix McKnight.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If it's something that is "plainly obvious", there's a good chance it's already been documented and they probably have a plan to fix or remedy the problem spot. They do bow to public pressure often though, I can agree on that. Highway 63 really got moving this year, didn't it?
My point is that safety isn't the #1 priority just because you say it is. Read some Dilbert cartoons and you'll understand that there is a big difference between what people/companies say and what actually happens.

I did state that standards are getting better, likely because of lawsuits and public and political pressure. But there are obvious safety flaws that do go ignored for budget or design reasons -proving that safety is not the #1 priority as you suggest it is. Design standards try to address safety issues, but really - you must admit that issues commonly slip through the cracks and we end up with a new roadway with a safety flaw. It's human nature. Nothing is perfect.

As you said, people are reduced to numbers. And when a serious accident occurs on a road with an obvious safety flaw (such as no barrier or median separating high speed oncoming traffic) then rarely is that fixed without public, press, or political pressure. Did barriers get added to Deerfoot N, or Bow Trail because the industry stepped up after an accident? No. The only reason things were changed is because of outside pressure. The insiders did nothing by all accounts. (people may have tried internally to get things done - but I would imagine it's quite rare for something to happen proactively. I'm not trying to insult here, but because things were built to spec at the time, and because safety compromises were likely viewed as acceptable when a project was built it seems unlikely anyone internal ever tries to fix things unless pressured to do so). Maybe there are all kinds of safety audits and things done every year - but in typical government fashion solutions take decades while body counts rise.

I never suggested we need a perfect snow clearing budget. In fact, what we have now is pretty good. But a few years ago the massive numbers of accidents, deaths, injuries were ignored by the city. You see, budgeting in that case for safety was way down on the list. After enough people, press, and politicians complained something was done and things have improved. You may have been one of the "we're doing all we can do" and "safety is #1", but the rest of us saw that it was unacceptable. Man, impassible roads weren't even cleared, and buses couldn't even drive on many main roads - yet the city claimed nothing could be done about it.

We're discussing things, so yes I do care what you say. I know the reasons for not fixing Nose Hill dr very well. But as I said - if safety was the number one factor it would have be fixed first, not LAST. People died because of the known safety flaws. Man, just eliminating the intersection has done wonders for safety - it's strange nobody in the industry spoke up and suggested it. When city council realigned Nose Hill drive they made a huge mistake. The whole design of that area was/is a mess and a lot of mistakes by pros were made. (that's another discussion).

Magic barriers preventing head on collisions do sometimes cause injuries or deaths. Just like seat-belts and airbags sometimes do (referring back to the industry being much like the car industry - sometimes with their head in the sand). Barriers are often dropped from designs for no other reason than to save money - usually at the expense of safety. (which oddly being priority #1 should never be removed from a project yet strangely they often are).

Anywho. I've noticed safety design flaws on Stoney. I believe a huge one was fixed at Beddington (if I'm not mistaken about the interchange). I'm sure it was built to proper standards, but man it was dangerous. The same flaw remains on 16th NW, just north of Sarcee. (an obvious merge is built as a stop - so drivers often floor it to merge without realizing that it's actually a stop sign. Usually a little paint and a few feet of pavement could fix that common type of design flaw.

We almost need to create a forum where people report safety/design flaws. Perhaps that would be useful. I know there are official ways to go about it - but they usually don't result in action - they result in excuses or justifications. The only real way to get action is to bug a politician or reporter.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:32 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
That's the problem when a major arterial street goes through a residential area (especially between 4 St NW & Centre St with the houses right along McKnight) - the NIMBY's come out in full force.

I recall seeing a study online around that time, the proposals for smoothing out the McKnight-JLB corner all included an interchange at 48 Ave NW and taking out a large swath of Highwood. If that is the same study/open house, it would probably explain why it was shot down. You could probably do a better JLB/McKnight transition without taking out as many houses, but it wouldn't be a highspeed freeway.
Shot down you say. So what do you know of this being officially being shot down? More like it's quietly been shelved and if you carefully watch what's been going on in the past ten years, you might have noticed that properties are slowly being bought up and being bulldozed - a couple on the south side of McKnight west of Centre Street; at least one in Highwood and another in Thorncliff. Greenview school, so conveniently not a public school anymore - just rented out. The 7/11 on Centre Street - they own the two properties to the north of them.

Things are quietly being moved along for am eventual McKnight expansion to the south side with a smoothed out corer at John Laurier - the city is just going to take it's time acquiring properties when they become available and at some point when they own the majority of what they need, then we'll see this project resurface. I've lived in Highwood for 16+ years now and have observed these home disappearing - the most telling one is the one in NW Highwood that was bought, bulldozed and the lot now sits vacant and not for sale. A very nice 60 foot corner lot (link) in a neighborhood that is starting to see redevelopment akin to Capitol Hill and yet this nice, large lot remains vacant while multiple others in Highwood are being redeveloped.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 4:45 PM
Acey

And yet, they're going the opposite direction at McKnight and 12 St, which is arguably a bigger problem. Construction underway on whatever they're building on the north side of McKnight. Clearly they don't ever plan on building an interchange there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 8:37 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
And yet, they're going the opposite direction at McKnight and 12 St, which is arguably a bigger problem. Construction underway on whatever they're building on the north side of McKnight. Clearly they don't ever plan on building an interchange there.
When that interchange gets built, it will essentially be a flyover of 12th over McKnight, combined with turning roads to the east of the intersection into access roads. There won't be any direct ramps from Mcknight onto 12th and vice versa.

The preparation for development that is happening there now doesn't affect the ability to build that at all.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 9:02 PM
Construction Enthusiast

It appears like Aero Drive is being planned to connect up into 64th Ave, just south of the old control tower.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Shot down you say. So what do you know of this being officially being shot down? More like it's quietly been shelved and if you carefully watch what's been going on in the past ten years, you might have noticed that properties are slowly being bought up and being bulldozed - a couple on the south side of McKnight west of Centre Street; at least one in Highwood and another in Thorncliff. Greenview school, so conveniently not a public school anymore - just rented out. The 7/11 on Centre Street - they own the two properties to the north of them.

Things are quietly being moved along for am eventual McKnight expansion to the south side with a smoothed out corer at John Laurier - the city is just going to take it's time acquiring properties when they become available and at some point when they own the majority of what they need, then we'll see this project resurface. I've lived in Highwood for 16+ years now and have observed these home disappearing - the most telling one is the one in NW Highwood that was bought, bulldozed and the lot now sits vacant and not for sale. A very nice 60 foot corner lot (link) in a neighborhood that is starting to see redevelopment akin to Capitol Hill and yet this nice, large lot remains vacant while multiple others in Highwood are being redeveloped.
Shot down, moved to the private realms of government. It seems that the public avenues of the city (i.e. the City of Calgary webpage) has nothing regarding McKnight so I assumed it's be forgotten. Nice to see it hasn't been completely mothballed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 12:56 AM
Acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
When that interchange gets built, it will essentially be a flyover of 12th over McKnight, combined with turning roads to the east of the intersection into access roads. There won't be any direct ramps from Mcknight onto 12th and vice versa.

The preparation for development that is happening there now doesn't affect the ability to build that at all.
I don't see it. Ramps or not, I don't see how you build a bridge there without something getting knocked down.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:23 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I don't see it. Ramps or not, I don't see how you build a bridge there without something getting knocked down.
Retaining walls.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:

It should be. It basically functions like that outside of the 1KM corridor. At some point it'll be needed, and the north needs an adequate East-West freeway. McKnight/JL is the perfect spot for it and has the ROW available for the most part.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It should be. It basically functions like that outside of the 1KM corridor. At some point it'll be needed, and the north needs an adequate East-West freeway. McKnight/JL is the perfect spot for it and has the ROW available for the most part.
What would you do on John Laurie with the non-signalized, at-grade intersections between 14 St NW and Shaganappi Trail?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:10 PM
Acey

Plenty of room to dig into the hill there for diamonds at those intersections.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
What would you do on John Laurie with the non-signalized, at-grade intersections between 14 St NW and Shaganappi Trail?
EDIT: Whoops, didn't actually comprehend message there initially. Acey right, plenty of room to make easy diamond interchanges at those current intersections. You may not even have to make one for each. Close off access at 19th and Brisebois if it improves safety, and differ them to 14th/Chareswood and Shag/Charsewood respectively.

The only issue with John Laurie is that it's not ideal for it to continue as an expressway past Sarcee Trail. But that's alright since traffic intending to continue westward (destination beyond where John Laurie could take you) could be differed down Sarcee Trail then continue west on Crowchild. You could actually do the same thing at the Shanganappi Trail, so then you don't have to do extra work/spend money on interchanges, added lanes, and battle NIMBYs around the Edgemont area.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:48 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Yup.
That'e the routing I've always imagined as well.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 7:28 PM
Here and There

Stop severing access points!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure