HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
This plaza is obviously going to have alot more tourist traffic with apple moving in which I think is a good think for the area, sort of. Mag mile, people walking to/from navy pier, riverwalk. blah blah blah. But I just wonder how pissed people who work in 401, Trib, Gleacher, NBC are going to be when they have to walk through an even bigger crowd than before to go grab a bite to eat for lunch. I used to work in buildings all around there and the worst part of the year was for that disney christmas parade. Trying to go from one building to the next for work purposes was the most annoying thing ever. I'm not saying it's going to be to that extent but deffinetly much more cluttered than what people are used to. It could be worse, It could be new york.
co-workers and I love to have our lunch on those black planters on the NW side of the plaza - great for observing tourists and office workers. Toss in a bunch more hipsters, all is good.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
This plaza is obviously going to have alot more tourist traffic with apple moving in which I think is a good think for the area, sort of. Mag mile, people walking to/from navy pier, riverwalk. blah blah blah. But I just wonder how pissed people who work in 401, Trib, Gleacher, NBC are going to be when they have to walk through an even bigger crowd than before to go grab a bite to eat for lunch. I used to work in buildings all around there and the worst part of the year was for that disney christmas parade. Trying to go from one building to the next for work purposes was the most annoying thing ever. I'm not saying it's going to be to that extent but deffinetly much more cluttered than what people are used to. It could be worse, It could be new york.
I work across the street, everybody I work with knows where they are and deals with it just fine.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
co-workers and I love to have our lunch on those black planters on the NW side of the plaza - great for observing tourists and office workers. Toss in a bunch more hipsters, all is good.
Toss in a bunch more hipsters...into the river...and all would be good.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:56 PM

536 N LaSalle

Apr 14

Apr 17

Apr 18

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Is there an active permit on this? I haven't pulled up anything so far. One would think this buildings would be at least orange rated, but seeing how the survey arbitrarily downgraded some buildings to yellow for reversible changes like window infills it could be yellow too.
I thought most of these old Fulton Market buildings were landmarked. Or does it only apply north of Randolph Street?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
This is starting to look like the design won't immediately evoke either Foster or the usual Apple stores' aesthetic, with their rigorous rectangles and perfectly straight roofs/ceilings. It actually is starting to look like the lid of a laptop if anything. But for such a giant structure in a public plaza and on the river, it's probably good that the tenant's DNA isn't completely embedded in the design, because they probably won't stay there forever. If they leave a long time from now, it could be repurposed as a visitor center or museum outpost, or showcase meeting center or auditorium. You could picture a TED presentation or famous radio quiz show happening there one day.
Precisely what I was thinking. It's fortunate it should end up as a good building in a prominent location which can be adapted to any public use.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:14 AM

It would be the perfect location with those open glass walls for a Chicago River & Bridges museum. But I dont see apple closing down anytime soon, especially when they spent whatever amount of millions on this place.

Last edited by KWILLSKYLINE; Apr 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:43 PM

The "Jeron Building" at 5748 N Hermitage (or around 1743 W Rosehill) was not only issued demo permits two days ago, but issued a new construction permit for a new 4 story, 39 unit building with 47 garage parking spaces. Former building is 1 story office. This is pretty close to the whole Edgewater Hospital redevelopment:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9860...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9867...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Story from December:
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...a-developments

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:50 PM

^ Fencing went up around the site a few days ago. This will be a good change.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:22 PM

Just read this article on curbed about those neon light samples underneath wabash. Sorry, I know it's old news but I havn't seen them in person... living in the burbs sucks. But I guess their taking them down for more testing. I'm just going off the pictures iv'e seen online and I hate them. They look way too Tokyo-ish. It kind of deminishes the whole Chicago feel when you drive underneath the L tracks. Instead of raising money for some Vegas lights, raise some money to have the rest of the el tracks support beams scraped and re-painted, as wabash was.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Just read this article on curbed about those neon light samples underneath wabash. Sorry, I know it's old news but I havn't seen them in person... living in the burbs sucks. But I guess their taking them down for more testing. I'm just going off the pictures iv'e seen online and I hate them. They look way too Tokyo-ish. It kind of deminishes the whole Chicago feel when you drive underneath the L tracks. Instead of raising money for some Vegas lights, raise some money to have the rest of the el tracks support beams scraped and re-painted, as wabash was.
These are just under the Wabash El Tracks, right? It's not the whole system. And I believe it's a public art project, funded separately from maintenance and repair budgets. In fact, I don't think the city is paying for this at all.

I really the Wabash Lights idea. Jewelers Row has been hammered by all the construction of the new Washington L stop. That stretch needs something to entice the people walking around downtown after dark. I think it has high potential for being a very cool and unique addition to the city.

Change is not going to make everyone happy, but it keeps the city vibrant.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:15 PM

Any of you recall the 47 unit building at Ashland & Ogden, by Michigan Avenue Group, that started construction a few months back? Either way, I managed to find renderings of the buildings while snooping around

Ashland Monroe Place | 21 S. Ashland Ave

Source: http://westloopluxuryapartments.com

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Any of you recall the 47 unit building at Ashland & Ogden, by Michigan Avenue Group, that started construction a few months back? Either way, I managed to find renderings of the buildings while snooping around

Ashland Monroe Place | 21 S. Ashland Ave
Looks like Lakeview c. 2003 development.

I'm ready for this area to blow up with more ambitious projects; make this intersection great again:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:32 PM
The City

^ Alas, if we could ever once again see a time where buildings like that are being built again....

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Alas, if we could ever once again see a time where buildings like that are being built again....
We'd have to find some developers that have some sense of pride in their work. Imaginary design is too expensive for most Chicago developers. Glass, Square & Cheap is the motto.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Looks like Lakeview c. 2003 development.

I'm ready for this area to blow up with more ambitious projects; make this intersection great again:

Did that building actually exist there? My gosh, what a loss if so.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Did that building actually exist there? My gosh, what a loss if so.
If you Google the building , apparently there was a statue of a giant turtle on the roof of the building at one time. At least per photos !

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:21 PM

What a let down for the Ashland homes. I saw some good size steel going up, and got my hopes up that something maybe more than 4 floors was going to go there. I need to lower my expectations in chicago...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:01 PM
The City

^ Thats a bit harsh....

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
If you Google the building , apparently there was a statue of a giant turtle on the roof of the building at one time. At least per photos !
LOL! I just looked it up. It was Turtle Wax HQ at one point!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development