HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
It's crazy that they are choosing to put in lighting, signage, landscaping, all for Phase 1, without anything even started for Phase 2 and 3. It would be one thing if Phase 1 was actually usable, but the path just dead ends, so they can't open it. Very strange phasing...
Phase I includes a staircase from the elevated pathway down to the street level along Illinois. That is useful in that it allows people to fly over the intersections between Olive Park and Illinois. As it, the pathway is mildly convenient, moreso for people on foot than bikers. It would be a minor hassle to have to walk your bike back down the staircase. That being said, opening Phase I seems like a better solution than waiting to complete Phase II and III, in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 8:05 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Plans should be made by planners at city hall.
Isn't that exactly how the Fulton Market plan was created?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 1:16 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
It think it's relatively safe to say that the industrial days of this corridor are closing rapidly so that shouldn't be much of a concern. Anybody who hasn't sold already will in the coming years. I just wouldn't mind seeing at least some residential mixed into the commercial and entertainment uses that are dominating the Fulton corridor and can't think of a particularly compelling reason it should be excluded.
You may think the writing is on the wall for industrial here, but tell that to the Fulton Market Association which is largely an industrial group. The city's official policy here is embodied in the Kinzie Corridor PMD, which is not currently being evaluated for any changes.

A smoke-belching factory may seem unlikely, but what about a brewery that receives night time deliveries or wants to add a third shift? Even seemingly innocuous things can become controversial when residents move in across the street from an industrial business. Blommer Chocolate is practically the poster boy for this.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:50 PM
The City

Surprised nobody else discussed that "God Bless America" moment when a judge put the smack down on Jefferson Park NIMBYs trying to block a multiunit, mixed use affordable housing development.

I understand this is not so much about density and more about not so subtle racism, but in the end I'm glad that courts are largely not siding with NIMBYs in these cases.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:47 PM
TL;DR

^ There's nothing to celebrate yet. The judge simply denied the plaintiffs' motion for a temporary restraining order that would have prevented the Zoning Committee from considering the developer's rezoning request. The lawsuit against the city, alleging that it was approved improperly by the Plan Commission and accusing Ald. Arena of a corrupt bargain, will still move forward.

The request was deferred onto next month's agenda for Zoning Committee anyway, so the restraining order would have been moot.

Also, the rezoning request the city is currently considering, and the subject of the lawsuit, concerns a self storage warehouse. The related proposal for a housing complex has not officially been submitted to Plan Commission yet.

TL;DR a boring proposal for a storage warehouse can now advance to the next step in the rezoning process while a NIMBY lawsuit against its approval is still moving forward, and the related housing proposal has been backburnered.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
A smoke-belching factory may seem unlikely, but what about a brewery that receives night time deliveries or wants to add a third shift? Even seemingly innocuous things can become controversial when residents move in across the street from an industrial business. Blommer Chocolate is practically the poster boy for this.
There is already a limited amount of residential in the area and it hasn't caused that problem as far as I know. If my memory serves the Blommer issue was pretty much caused by condo owners in the big development to the east with nothing better to do. Most of what would go here will either be small higher end condo developments or rentals. Neither of which seem to have a problem with the grittiness/noise of the area since they're already right next to the L in some cases.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yeah - that was one of the worst posts I've seen in some time - and he contributes his share. Next idea - why don't we individualize speed limits according to model year you're driving? Makes sense to me!
kiss my butt sam

do some thinking on the matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzVaa557I9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/04/h...d-limit-safer/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:17 AM

UIC's new Campus Master Plan is out (the Exec Summary at least). Long wish list, but I imagine much won't be done without state funding.

https://cppm.uic.edu/masterplan
https://cppm.uic.edu/MasterPlan/CurrentPlan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Surprised nobody else discussed that "God Bless America" moment when a judge put the smack down on Jefferson Park NIMBYs trying to block a multiunit, mixed use affordable housing development.

I understand this is not so much about density and more about not so subtle racism, but in the end I'm glad that courts are largely not siding with NIMBYs in these cases.
I'm surprised you didn't post a link to the story.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Arena went about this in the worst way. The optics are that he signed a deal with the developers to support the project no matter what, so as to avoid a lawsuit, before the project was even made public. He then went to his private fb page and trashed anyone against the project as racist. Then, at the public meetings, packed it with his own people so members of the community couldn't get in and purposely chose small venues for it. Turned the entire community against him with dumbass tactics.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:38 AM
Chicago

Illume - 111 S Peoria

April 17, 2017

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:45 PM

Building at 1133 W Randolph (Randolph & May) is getting demolished.

Here's an article from 2014 talking about how Nobu bought these properties and was looking to use the structures as parking. However, it doesn't look like this is the case as they're demolishing them?
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...uy-a-warehouse

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:40 PM
The City

^ The development team behind Nobu are a bunch of dillweeds. They should give up before they make too much embarrassment of themselves.

In other facepalm news: Crains is reporting that an Alderman is proposing a bill that requires every business license application or renewal to alert the local Alderman which they can deny. Boy wouldn't that be nice, if some prick of an Alderman has a vendetta against you or if you didn't contribute to his campaign, he can just up and shut down your family business and livelihood. Only in Chicago. If this passes I expect a lawsuit and hopefully a sensible judge would strike this down for what it is--far too much unchecked power to give to an elected official.

Link to article:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...rs-faisal-khan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Building at 1133 W Randolph (Randolph & May) is getting demolished.

Here's an article from 2014 talking about how Nobu bought these properties and was looking to use the structures as parking. However, it doesn't look like this is the case as they're demolishing them?
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...uy-a-warehouse
Is there an active permit on this? I haven't pulled up anything so far. One would think this buildings would be at least orange rated, but seeing how the survey arbitrarily downgraded some buildings to yellow for reversible changes like window infills it could be yellow too.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Is there an active permit on this? I haven't pulled up anything so far. One would think this buildings would be at least orange rated, but seeing how the survey arbitrarily downgraded some buildings to yellow for reversible changes like window infills it could be yellow too.
The permit for 1133 was issued yesterday

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:06 PM

This is what shows on Loopnet for 1133 W Randolph:

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...CB0003&LL=true

Seems ridiculous to replace it with a nearly identical faux vintage building unless there is something structurally deficient with the existing building.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:25 PM
1st Ward

Not sure if this was posted yet

Big hotel planned next to new McDonald's HQ

Quote:
Five months after breaking ground on McDonald's new West Loop headquarters, Sterling Bay is teeing up plans for a big hotel next door.

The Chicago developer yesterday filed a proposal with the city for a 19-story hotel at the northeast corner of Washington Boulevard and May Street, just west of the McDonald's project.

It's one of several hotels in the works in the Fulton Market neighborhood, a section of the West Loop that has become a major construction zone in recent years as companies like Google have migrated there. Sterling Bay also is building a 159-room Ace Hotel at 311 N. Morgan St. that is scheduled to open in September, while Chicago developer Shapack Partners is building a 175-room Hoxton Hotel at 200-208 N. Green St.

Sterling Bay Managing Principal Andy Gloor was unavailable to comment, and the proposal offered no details on the hotel's brand or number of rooms. At a Crain's event in September, Gloor said the firm wanted to build a 200-room extended-stay hotel, probably a Hyatt, next to McDonald's new offices at 110 N. Carpenter St.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...w-mcdonalds-hq

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 11:36 PM

^ I think it was posted a page or two back. Speaking of which, the McDonald's HQ yesterday got its 3rd new construction permit issued. This one looks to be for the main structure outside of the foundation.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Apple Store from above, last Tuesday:

This is starting to look like the design won't immediately evoke either Foster or the usual Apple stores' aesthetic, with their rigorous rectangles and perfectly straight roofs/ceilings. It actually is starting to look like the lid of a laptop if anything. But for such a giant structure in a public plaza and on the river, it's probably good that the tenant's DNA isn't completely embedded in the design, because they probably won't stay there forever. If they leave a long time from now, it could be repurposed as a visitor center or museum outpost, or showcase meeting center or auditorium. You could picture a TED presentation or famous radio quiz show happening there one day.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:45 PM

This plaza is obviously going to have alot more tourist traffic with apple moving in which I think is a good think for the area, sort of. Mag mile, people walking to/from navy pier, riverwalk. blah blah blah. But I just wonder how pissed people who work in 401, Trib, Gleacher, NBC are going to be when they have to walk through an even bigger crowd than before to go grab a bite to eat for lunch. I used to work in buildings all around there and the worst part of the year was for that disney christmas parade. Trying to go from one building to the next for work purposes was the most annoying thing ever. I'm not saying it's going to be to that extent but deffinetly much more cluttered than what people are used to. It could be worse, It could be new york.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development