HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:19 PM

Hello peeps! I don't know if this was already posted but I found out that they're replacing the Books End Cafe next to the UA Main Library with a Starbucks. Also, they're going to do renovations to the dining area of the student union by moving the post office, Wells Fargo bank, Meal plan and Catcard offices to the lower levels for more room for eating. Here are the descriptions and a link.

"Main Library, Starbucks
This project is to remodel the existing Book Ends Cafe into a new Starbucks. The remodel will include a 1160 square feet retail sales space with a 730 square feet seating area. This project will also issolate the Starbucks from the adjacent spaces which share a common wall and air conditioning system."

"Student Union Memorial Center, Main Level Dining
Re-design areas in the Student Union Memorial Center currently occupied by Wells Fargo Bank and the Post Office into dining seating areas. Project may also include potential re-configuration of, and upgrades to, existing main level dining areas."

"Student Union Memorial Center, Wells Fargo Bank
This project is a tenant improvement to relocate Wells Fargo Bank from the main level of the Student Union to the lower level into an area previously occupied by a computer lab. Wells Fargo has procured design and construction services."

"Student Union Memorial Ctr, Lower Level Tenant Imp
Ground Level tenants will be relocated to the Lower Level spaces which will be renovated prior to occupancy. The tenants affected by this move will be the Catcard and Meal Plan offices, Post Office and Bank, as well as the relocation of the Computer Lab."

http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/projects/projectlist.aspx

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Hello peeps! I don't know if this was already posted but I found out that they're replacing the Books End Cafe next to the UA Main Library with a Starbucks. Also, they're going to do renovations to the dining area of the student union by moving the post office, Wells Fargo bank, Meal plan and Catcard offices to the lower levels for more room for eating. Here are the descriptions and a link.

"Main Library, Starbucks
This project is to remodel the existing Book Ends Cafe into a new Starbucks. The remodel will include a 1160 square feet retail sales space with a 730 square feet seating area. This project will also issolate the Starbucks from the adjacent spaces which share a common wall and air conditioning system."

"Student Union Memorial Center, Main Level Dining
Re-design areas in the Student Union Memorial Center currently occupied by Wells Fargo Bank and the Post Office into dining seating areas. Project may also include potential re-configuration of, and upgrades to, existing main level dining areas."

"Student Union Memorial Center, Wells Fargo Bank
This project is a tenant improvement to relocate Wells Fargo Bank from the main level of the Student Union to the lower level into an area previously occupied by a computer lab. Wells Fargo has procured design and construction services."

"Student Union Memorial Ctr, Lower Level Tenant Imp
Ground Level tenants will be relocated to the Lower Level spaces which will be renovated prior to occupancy. The tenants affected by this move will be the Catcard and Meal Plan offices, Post Office and Bank, as well as the relocation of the Computer Lab."

http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/projects/projectlist.aspx
It's about time the school got serious about the dining deficiencies around campus.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 11:41 PM

Rainbow bridge!

New to the thread and probably old news. But is that bridge project ever going to get built or was that really never going to happen? Thought it was really cool!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
New to the thread and probably old news. But is that bridge project ever going to get built or was that really never going to happen? Thought it was really cool!
Not happening. Maybe if the recession never happened it may have been built but, even then, it was a slim chance. Check the Tucson link in kaneui's sig for projects that are happening. Welcome, though!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
No, thank God. It would be a giant waste of money. I'll admit, it would be cool to have, but Tucson has so many problems that need fixing (and money) that this just isn't viable. We need to fix our roads before we start thinking about spending money on anything like this. Prop. 409 was a good start on fixing roads, but $100 million is nowhere near enough to fix all the roads that are crumbling in this town. I don't mind spending money on things like the Streetcar, because it actually serves a purpose that is helpful to the city, but I just don't see the need for the Rainbow Bridge. I don't see it being our Space Needle or Gateway Arch - I see it more as our Sun Sphere (or Wig Sphere if you're a Simpsons' fan) in Knoxville, TN - something cool that no one outside of Tucson really knows about. I don't think it's something that is going to bring people here to see. People come here because of the nice weather in the winter and the beautiful scenery. No one's going to come here for a Rainbow Bridge.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, and I know there are many on this thread that disagree with me on this point (and a couple that do agree with me on it). I'll agree with Ted and say welcome - come join the debate and discussion.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:23 AM

So, came across this:

Discuss your Plan for Tucson

Posted: Jan 09, 2013 3:14 PM MST
Updated: Jan 09, 2013 3:14 PM MST
Posted by Sarah Cantey
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

The city of Tucson is holding an open house to discuss the draft of "Plan Tucson."

This will be a guiding document for the growth and development of Tucson over the next decade. It is intended to provide a road map of where the community is headed.

The new plan will be on the November 2013 ballot.

This is the third of five planned open house events for citizens to comment on the plan.

Tonight's event will be from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Tucson Police Westside service center at 1310 W. Miracle Mile.

You can find the draft of the document also at www.tucsonaz.gov/plantucson.

The document is expected to be finalized in the early to mid part of the year, before it goes to voters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this was today, but there are 2 more meetings. You can also comment on-line. Here's a link to the city's website page and another straight to the document.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 8:46 PM

From the Starnet; full story in Sunday print.

El Mercado (think El Charro Cafe) to be razed for new CVS

With a ghost-town of a strip mall on just across the street, it is a shame CVS chose to tear down the corner that isn't an eye-sore.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
From the Starnet; full story in Sunday print.

El Mercado (think El Charro Cafe) to be razed for new CVS

With a ghost-town of a strip mall on just across the street, it is a shame CVS chose to tear down the corner that isn't an eye-sore.
No joke. That kind of bothers me. I don't understand why CVS would need to tear down that entire shopping center. The lot is about four times larger than a typical CVS footprint.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 10:00 PM

You are pre-supposing that CVS had the option to buy the other strip mall for a similar price and chose not to.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
You are pre-supposing that CVS had the option to buy the other strip mall for a similar price and chose not to.
CVS lost my money after reading this. This is ridiculous!! That is a perfectly good shopping center that they are going to destroy for NO reason. I don't know if the shopping center across the street is for sale but that trash can is a better location for a new CVS. Come on CVS,walmart did better at placing new locations and that's saying something.

Off topic now but Steve Kozachik is now a democrat,
http://tucsoncitizen.com/community/2...ocratic-party/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
No doubt this makes the most sense for CVS. It is just a shame that this is how the numbers and timing shakes out.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
No joke. That kind of bothers me. I don't understand why CVS would need to tear down that entire shopping center. The lot is about four times larger than a typical CVS footprint.
OMG! WHAT???? My FAVORITE Vietnamese restaurant is there Ha Long Bay!!! I hope they just relocate! Why not go across the street to that UGLY strip mall?? This is a damn shame!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 8:02 PM

Facade Improvement Program

Nearly-finished facade work on downtown's Chicago Music Store:

(photo: Downtown Tucsonan)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Nearly-finished facade work on downtown's Chicago Music Store:

(photo: Downtown Tucsonan)
Here's an updated picture with more of the glass tiles in place.

It seems that they were able to match the original tiles pretty well. It's not perfect, but it's better than it was.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 10:21 PM

If you click on the Campus Acquisitions website, they say that their 2nd property (Park Ave.) is under construction. I drove by The Level last weekend on Speedway from the west and it's a lot bigger than I realized. I had only seen it from the southeast (Aviation Hwy/Kino, and from campus) and from walking by it to the south). The east/west face of it is wider than the north/south face. I also drove downtown on Thursday. The last time I was downtown Cadence was only 1-story tall. When I was down there Thursday I was amazed. I took Broadway and when you round that last curve and come up that little hill you actually feel like you're driving into a downtown of a major city. It's like it's a whole new place. I still would have loved to had the 12-13 story building there, but this really makes it feel so much more urban. Finally, I also drove by the new courthouse building being built. It's not as big as I expected. Height-wise it is, but it's not as long or as wide as I was expecting. I know they're not going to start building the parking garage for another year or so - maybe then it will look as big as I was expecting.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 2:49 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
If you click on the Campus Acquisitions website, they say that their 2nd property (Park Ave.) is under construction. I drove by The Level last weekend on Speedway from the west and it's a lot bigger than I realized. I had only seen it from the southeast (Aviation Hwy/Kino, and from campus) and from walking by it to the south). The east/west face of it is wider than the north/south face. I also drove downtown on Thursday. The last time I was downtown Cadence was only 1-story tall. When I was down there Thursday I was amazed. I took Broadway and when you round that last curve and come up that little hill you actually feel like you're driving into a downtown of a major city. It's like it's a whole new place. I still would have loved to had the 12-13 story building there, but this really makes it feel so much more urban. Finally, I also drove by the new courthouse building being built. It's not as big as I expected. Height-wise it is, but it's not as long or as wide as I was expecting. I know they're not going to start building the parking garage for another year or so - maybe then it will look as big as I was expecting.

sometimes ill take the longway home just to go through the broadway underpass and drive through cadence construction, i love the feel of it too, im such a nerd haha.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
sometimes ill take the longway home just to go through the broadway underpass and drive through cadence construction, i love the feel of it too, im such a nerd haha.
Hay Anqrew. I think we were commenting on the same post on the ADS website a few days ago about the new housing. We were both defending it, and getting quite a few negative comments for it. And, I do the same thing. I had gotten out of class at the U of A Thursday and had 45 minutes to get to Wrightstown Rd. to pick up my daughter from school. I knew I had a few minutes so I took a quick detour downtown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:07 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Hay Anqrew. I think we were commenting on the same post on the ADS website a few days ago about the new housing. We were both defending it, and getting quite a few negative comments for it. And, I do the same thing. I had gotten out of class at the U of A Thursday and had 45 minutes to get to Wrightstown Rd. to pick up my daughter from school. I knew I had a few minutes so I took a quick detour downtown.
yeah as soon as i saw ADS posted a story about it with a photo i was already cringing at the thought of the comments. i honestly dont understand the demographics of that website. all 50+ white conservatives who live out in the suburbs? i dont get it lol.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
yeah as soon as i saw ADS posted a story about it with a photo i was already cringing at the thought of the comments. i honestly don't understand the demographics of that website. all 50+ white conservatives who live out in the suburbs? i don't get it lol.
I doubt ADS is frequented by white conservatives haha. I'm a conservative and I am looking forward to all the new buildings going up. What gets me is these people who complain about the new "high-rises" are the same people who complain about suburbia. you can't have it both ways. either build out or build up and i say build up. Its better for transportation and better for the environment. the area between the university and downtown is perfect for dense urban living. i hope maybe someday they can increase the overlay zone to build along university.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:48 PM

I am conservative also. And I get really upset with all these people who are negative about Tucson development on ADS. However, I don't think they are all old white conservatives (though most comments seem they're coming from that perspective). That's just generalizing. If you think about it, there are probably people on both sides who don't like what they are seeing happening to Tucson. For example, the controversy with Level and the overlay district debacle. The people who live in West University who wrote up the petition to stop the construction can't all be conservatives.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest