HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 4:01 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
"Valley Line is the first completely new transit line to open in western Canada in a generation"

wait - so 2009 is a generation ago now? How does the Canada Line not count here?
10 years is sometimes used for ‘a generation’. 14 definitely seems reasonable. People who were in kindergarten when the Canada Line opened are now in University.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Ottawa building light rail instead of heavy rail was big mistake, unless you don't consider Gatineau. If Gatineau builds an light rail system, there might be some opportunity for integration.
Hasn’t Line 1 been designed in such a way that the engineers have panic attacks if anyone proposes connecting it to a Gatineau LRT?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

It's FINALLY open! As of this morning the 13km Southeast Valley Line LRT is official open.

The Valley Line Southeast will run 13 km from Downtown to Mill Woods, and will feature:

-11 street-level stops
-An elevated station with a 1,300-spot Park and Ride facility and a full transit centre located in the Wagner industrial area
-The new Tawatinâ Bridge across North Saskatchewan River
-A short tunnel from the north face of the River Valley through to the Quarters -redevelopment
-An interchange point at Churchill Square to access the existing Metro and Capital LRT lines
-This project has a capital cost of $1.8 billion, and is being delivered as a public-private partnership (P3).

SEVLRT - 1st train.

Video Link

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 9:44 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Looks nice but I’m sorry for that milk run downtown. Should have kept tunnelling west of The Quarters.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 10:46 PM
Community Guy

'milk run'?

It's not about Millwoods to Downtown, but options for folks along the way.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 2:55 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

“Milk run” - probably an old expression
That’s what I refer to Calgary’s trip down 7th Ave. as.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 1:18 AM
gettin' rich!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It's FINALLY open! As of this morning the 13km Southeast Valley Line LRT is official open.

The Valley Line Southeast will run 13 km from Downtown to Mill Woods, and will feature:

-11 street-level stops
-An elevated station with a 1,300-spot Park and Ride facility and a full transit centre located in the Wagner industrial area
-The new Tawatinâ Bridge across North Saskatchewan River
-A short tunnel from the north face of the River Valley through to the Quarters -redevelopment
-An interchange point at Churchill Square to access the existing Metro and Capital LRT lines
-This project has a capital cost of $1.8 billion, and is being delivered as a public-private partnership (P3).

SEVLRT - 1st train.

Video Link

Congrats! Looks nice.

Just too much streetrunning.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 1:38 AM

I don’t understand what’s wrong with running on the street median? LRTs don’t deserve to be grade separated (too expensive for # of passengers it carries) and most European LRT/Trams are run on the street anyway. As long as they have dedicated space allocated without cars being allowed on the tracks (looking at you Toronto) I don’t see the problem.

The traffic signalling and priority on the other hand clearly needs some work but the line just opened so I’ll give Edmonton the benefit of the doubt that the timing will improve.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 2:33 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I don’t understand what’s wrong with running on the street median? LRTs don’t deserve to be grade separated (too expensive for # of passengers it carries) and most European LRT/Trams are run on the street anyway. As long as they have dedicated space allocated without cars being allowed on the tracks (looking at you Toronto) I don’t see the problem.

The traffic signalling and priority on the other hand clearly needs some work but the line just opened so I’ll give Edmonton the benefit of the doubt that the timing will improve.
Sometimes having a lot of street running isn't great for a long line that stretches from the suburbs to the city centre since it usually isn't permitted to exceed the speed limit of the road it's running in for safety reasons. In this case it doesn't seem like it runs overly slow though.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:54 AM

Quote:

You are absolutely correct my friend. There is nothing wrong with running LRT on street median. That is where they belong. LRT are better suited for small cities.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:33 PM

Sneak-peek video of Jeanne d'Arc Station in Orleans, part of Stage 2 in Ottawa. The station will serve as a local stop and minor bus-rail transfer. It's near a community centre and Orleans' "main street" Boulevard Saint-Joseph (a former village main street transformed into a want-to-be stroad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseguin View Post
EXCLUSIVE Sneak Peek of Jeanne d'Arc Station: The Eastern Extension of O-Train Lines 1/3.

In this video, Bradley Cooper, Senior Engineer of Stage2LRT Construction at the City of Ottawa, shares his expertise and insights.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:

Grade separation is for busy intersections. It's not which mode or which line deserves to be separated, but which portion of a line should be grade separated.

You can see with normal freight rail crossings. Some are crossings are grade separated, some are not.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 6:28 PM

Rails have been fully installed along the Stage 2 East O-Train alignment.

Short snapshot of station progress.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 4:08 PM

Given that this travels through dense urban neighbourhoods, the rate of progress on the Broadway subway is pretty impressive by Canadian standards.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 4:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Given that this travels through dense urban neighbourhoods, the rate of progress on the Broadway subway is pretty impressive by Canadian standards.
I'm interested to see how fast elevated sections of the future Ontario line get build vs the underground alignments.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 5:09 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Agreed. I'm genuinely shocked and glad that progress seems to be going quite well on that project.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 6:04 PM
Community Guy

It's perhaps the most fascinating project to watch right now in Canada; great to see such progress.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 7:28 PM

Progress at three west O-Train Stations. Several towers proposed near the first two stations.

Pinecrest, inner-urban neighbourhood with mix of sfh and towers, served by a small bus loop.

Video Link

Bayshore, inner-urban neighbourhood with medium and high density, along with the region's second largest mall. It will be a major transfer for west inner Greenbelt bus routes.

Video Link

Moodie, within biking distance to National Defense HQ2, Abbott Pharmaceuticals and low-density neighbourhood. Will act as the main transfer for Kanata and Stittville bus routes. Cross-platform transfer between O-Train "westbound" and buses.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 9:34 PM

some Ontario Line progress:

The temporary pedestrian bridge is moving along at Exhibition. The tracks will shift to a new temporary north platform in the station this weekend, though the new bridge is obviously still a while away:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....9023/page-826

The new platform due to be commissioned this weekend (this photo is from about 2 weeks ago):

The Lakeshore East Corridor is moving along.

Future Queen Station on the OL - right now work is focused on building the new, 4-track GO corridor, then tracks will shift east to make room for the subway station:

Looking south to the future East Harbour station:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....9023/page-825

Archeological work continues at Corktown station (the site of Upper Canada's first parliament buildings):

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...r.33509/page-7

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 9:37 PM
sick transit, gloria

^Cool to see progress happening! Exciting times even though it will be construction hell for... a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada