HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 1:00 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Really? The ramp guys I know who work on it here in YWG said they are happy with it and it's usually full on Saturdays. The one day a week is working for YWG. But who knows maybe the numbers don't add up then
Apparently, it relies to much on passengers from YYC and YVR, and it may be better to just use those in some opinions.

Last edited by jmt18325; Sep 23, 2016 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 1:36 PM

Well, retaining the flight is more than about pax loads, it is about capturing more of the Winnipeg market. WJ can capturing connecting traffic and operate with less complexity from Calgary and Toronto. So if the flight is being filled with transfers, especially if they have to add more capacity for those transfers, and the Winnipeg O&D doesn't justify the flight on its own, it can slip away fast. Apparently the flight from YEG has this issue, which isn't surprising as I think they are at an all time high in available seats to Europe.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Really? The ramp guys I know who work on it here in YWG said they are happy with it and it's usually full on Saturdays. The one day a week is working for YWG. But who knows maybe the numbers don't add up then
Sometimes it isn't just how full a plane is but how much revenue they are making from those passengers. If WestJet can take the limited 767 fleet out of YWG and use it from another airport and increase their revenue per operational hour sadly it makes sense for them to do so. It is very telling though that the 767 fleet was bought specifically with winter sun destinations in mind and YWG doesn't have any of those WestJet flights.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 3:42 PM
Heart of the Continent

Well, Where would it go? Hawaii is as far as London, and there are lot of way closer places that Westjet flies that can be served by 737 in terms of fun in the sun.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 4:09 PM

Personally I wouldn't shed many tears over the loss of the WestJet route to London, if it in fact disappears. A single flight, not even daily, is symbolic more than anything else... the reality is that by far the majority of Europe-bound passengers from YWG are using YYZ and perhaps other hubs like YUL, ORD, MSP, even YYC.

Winnipeg's market simply isn't big enough to sustain a critical mass of flights to Europe and I can live with that... I don't take it as some kind of slight. We don't have the weird dynamic that Edmonton has where they take personal offense at airlines that don't give them the exact same level of service as their southern neighbour.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 4:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

Agreed. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the YOW flights to FRA and or LHR disappear completely at some point. Apparently, One stop security will soon be implemented at Canada's 4 hub airports. It's going to make them more attractive to all airlines for international connections and other airports less attractive.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 4:29 PM

Unless it is something different the one-stop airline security though is only going to apply to frequent travelers. I received the official invite to the program for Canada-UK travel but it had that specific condition on top of all the other rules the trusted traveller programs have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by United Kingdom Registered Traveller Program Invite
Visitor eligibility criteria have changed and you now may apply to join if you have made at least 4 journeys to the United Kingdom in the previous two years. Complete details of Registered Traveller eligibility and availability can be found online at www.gov.uk/registered-traveller.
Also, unless it is different that the US-Canada program you still go through the same customs entry points as other travellers, you just have special lines. The receiving country also receives advance notice you are on the flight and has access to specific personal information in advance of your arrival. Part of the registration has also cleared your background check (no criminal record, etc). As there is nothing special on the originating end the airlines can still fly out of any airport. The reason YWG has US preclearance is those flights then land at domestic gates and don't go through additional screening on arrival.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 4:39 PM
Heart of the Continent

The EU's regulatory framework provides for the recognition of security standards applied in a non-EU country where those standards are equivalent to EU standards. Recognition permits One Stop Security whereby passengers, baggage and/or cargo arriving into the EU do not need to be subjected again to security controls when transferring at EU airports.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/...icy/oss_en.htm

Not every flight or traveler will be eligible (for example, if you are flagged for secondary inspection.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 5:14 PM

Reading more, OSS (One Stop Security) means if you fly say YWG-LGW-ROM you would, when everything works correctly, skip security, immigration and baggage claim at LGW. Your checked bags would be forwarded to your second flight and you would stay on the secure, screened airside. Reading some forums it seems that it is not in place in most airports and you are being sent through customs/immigration each time you change countries and then have to go through screening again.

This means OSS would only really matter at YWG to WestJet if they were expecting a lot of people to be connecting into the LGW flight. Anyone travelling from Winnipeg, or any other Canadian origin city, to London would get no benefit from OSS on their flight to EU. On the return it would depend on first city in Canada and final destination.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 8:05 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
I applaud the WAA for moving ahead with this. The elimination of transborder service to SK is a huge opportunity for YWG.

WS to DL for MSP.
AC to UA for ORD / DEN.
Speaking of opportunity, I was just looking at a post of yours on Flyertalk. Do you know something that the rest of us don't, or is that just predictions?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 4:14 PM
Heart of the Continent

Sunwing is adding Puerto Plata and Mazatlan:

http://www.sunwing.ca/newsstory.asp?...&utm_campaign=

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 8:11 AM
Heart of the Continent

So apparently, Winnipeg has become a regular spring/summer seasonal destination for Delta mainline to Minneapolis. The A319 is back in March at least. I noticed it when I was doing some research for a trip to Atlanta in that month.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 9:39 PM
Heart of the Continent

January has Delta scheduling an A320 on certain days.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 11:29 PM
There is always a way

Just saw an ac 787 fly in (confirmed by flight aware). Must be an emergency landing. Could anyone maybe get photos?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 11:38 PM
Heart of the Continent

While Delta increases, United continues to decrease. On some days, Winnipeg is down to a 50 seat jet to Denver (from two 70 seat jets) and two 37 seat jets (some days have 50 seat jets) to Chicago (down from five 50 seat jets at one time a few years ago).

Will we soon see the end of one of two United destinations from Winnipeg (probably Denver)?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:19 PM

NewLeaf announced service to Calgary today and starting moving away from their YWG hub plans at the same time. Calgary will have flights to Abbotsford, Halifax, Hamilton and Moncton. Pretty sad considering YWG did not warrant those same direct to the east coast flights. Guess it was too good to be true.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:24 PM
Heart of the Continent

Flights to Halifax from Winnipeg begin November 4th, according to Wikipedia. Gonewleaf.ca is down, so I can't confirm that.

Up now - November 6th - the journey there requires a stop in Hamilton, but the return trip is direct.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
NewLeaf announced service to Calgary today and starting moving away from their YWG hub plans at the same time. Calgary will have flights to Abbotsford, Halifax, Hamilton and Moncton. Pretty sad considering YWG did not warrant those same direct to the east coast flights. Guess it was too good to be true.
So they've pretty much ripped up their vaunted corporate strategy of avoiding WestJet's turf? I wish them luck, but this isn't a terribly encouraging sign.

jmt, I hope the answer to your United question is no... UA and DL are the only real antidote to high Canadian carrier fares to transborder/international destinations that we have... losing even DEN and its measly capacity would really stink.

Last edited by esquire; Oct 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:39 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

It looks like the YYC based New Leaf flights are just for some select dates around the holidays in December and January. However that could always change, but I'm sure WestJet will react.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 7:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Winnipeg to Edmonton is $99 and Toronto is $212 (both round trip) on Westjet. Air Canada hasn't bothered to match New Leaf.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan