HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 3:33 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'd agree there's more frequently used crossings. But in the tone of making the south perimeter a freeway first, and the McGillivray project basically running right up to the rail crossing, just do it.
Time value of money too, plus an excuse to do it? Perfect time to just get r done. Cause let’s be honest, none of those other crossings are gonna make the project list any time soon, even if we could try and use some funds from the perimeter project.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 9:01 PM

McGillivray Interchange Project. Updated boards for public engagement for August 2023.

Direct link: https://www.gov.mb.ca/mti/hpd/pth100...compressed.pdf

So as of right now. The rail overpass is not part of the project. And the bridge structure does not accommodate for the McGillivray twinning talked about.

What they show is just based on the original functional plan. You can provide input to the study to tell them otherwise.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 7:06 AM

Quote:
McGillivray Interchange Project. Updated boards for public engagement for August 2023.

So as of right now. The rail overpass is not part of the project. And the bridge structure does not accommodate for the McGillivray twinning talked about.

What they show is just based on the original functional plan. You can provide input to the study to tell them otherwise.
Absolutely ridiculous I emailed feedback on the email on the website. Suggest others do the same. Why would you completely realign the lanes of the perimeter only to stop at that rail over underpass.. absolute disgust lol

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 11:48 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous I emailed feedback on the email on the website. Suggest others do the same. Why would you completely realign the lanes of the perimeter only to stop at that rail over underpass.. absolute disgust lol
The F? Get rid of that rail obstruction. Why do they make things so half-assed..

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 1:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
The F? Get rid of that rail obstruction. Why do they make things so half-assed..
You forget this is Manitoba, half-assed is how we roll here!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Who should we email? the Major Projects Branch email or is there a public consultation email we should direct concerns to? Your already doing the work, may as well do it right.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 3:50 PM

I assume they will have an open house of some sort coming up. What for that feedback link.

You can also email the person (Lauren) who is listed at the end of the open house boards.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 5:36 PM

Quote:
I assume they will have an open house of some sort coming up. What for that feedback link.

You can also email the person (Lauren) who is listed at the end of the open house boards.
mailto: majorprojects@gov.mb.ca

That’s the one I sent an email to.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 7:27 PM

Other tidbit I forgot to mention. Construction from 2025-2027. Hoping the dates hold.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:

This is an absolute embarrassment.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 1:59 PM

"This project will also support the upgrade of the Perimeter Highway to a free-flow, access controlled modern day freeway as Winnipeg approaches a population of one million."

It seems to me like the most obvious outcome of this long-term vision will be an intensification of car-dependent suburban and exurban development in the South Landing and Oak Bluff areas.

I remember hearing someone say that you can tell if people are serious about climate change by looking at their budget priorities.

This says to me the province doesn't take climate change seriously in the slightest.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"This project will also support the upgrade of the Perimeter Highway to a free-flow, access controlled modern day freeway as Winnipeg approaches a population of one million."

It seems to me like the most obvious outcome of this long-term vision will be an intensification of car-dependent suburban and exurban development in the South Landing and Oak Bluff areas.

I remember hearing someone say that you can tell if people are serious about climate change by looking at their budget priorities.

This says to me the province doesn't take climate change seriously in the slightest.
I agree the provincial government is not budgeting anywhere remotely close to what is needed to manage climate change, however, these highway upgrades were needed decades ago.

Plus if anything, this project might make things slower for oak bluff residents to commute to the city. The interchange will be a bit out of their way compared to the current intersection, and they'll have two intersections to contend rather one. The advantage will be free flow to Perimeter traffic, in particular to truck transport, and safety improvements to that intersection.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 3:42 PM

These retrofit interchange installs do leave some of the local connections a mess. St. Mary's is a good example.

St. Anne's is proposed to be built on the current alignment. So beyond demolishing the houses near the corner, the road alignment are the same as current.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
These retrofit interchange installs do leave some of the local connections a mess. St. Mary's is a good example.

St. Anne's is proposed to be built on the current alignment. So beyond demolishing the houses near the corner, the road alignment are the same as current.
What are you trying to argue?

St Anne's interchange has no real option except to expropriate the abutting houses and maintain the existing alignment.

Mcgillivray had some greenfield to work with which is cheaper than expropriating PetroCan/Humptys, plus maintaining the existing PTH 3 alignment would be problematic once it would need to be twined. The new alignment has room for twinning.

St Mary's needed to change the angle of approach with Perimeter and it ran too close to the river which is in a high risk erosion spot. It had to be moved over.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 4:20 PM

Sorry, not trying to argue anything. Was just responding to the part about access to Oak Bluff being slower than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Plus if anything, this project might make things slower for oak bluff residents to commute to the city. The interchange will be a bit out of their way compared to the current intersection, and they'll have two intersections to contend rather one. The advantage will be free flow to Perimeter traffic, in particular to truck transport, and safety improvements to that intersection.
The Perimeter gets better, but everything else around the McGillivray interchange get's worse.

Which is okay. My point being the alignment of St Annes is better than that of St Mary's in this regard.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 4:59 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
This is an absolute embarrassment.
YA wow
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 5:50 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't know if this was in this thread before, but in the Canada section - Highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Photo from July showing the St. Mary's Road overpass under construction on PTH 100 south of Winnipeg. Looking easterly:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/MB/100/M...2795_24x16.jpg
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't know if this was in this thread before, but in the Canada section - Highways
I drive through there almost every weekday early afternoon. The amount of work being done, aside from the overpass, is astounding. Creating roadbed in what was once a deep ditch between St Mary's and the Red River.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I drove through here this afternoon and they are laying fresh asphalt where I thought one of the new lanes are supposed to go. Is it supposed to be like a detour for them constructing the lanes on the other side? The main plans clearly show it being concrete road base.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 5:28 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I drive down there occasionally after work just to see the progress and it's pacing along fairly well.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan