HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 12:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe denisovan View Post
It makes perfect sense that someone who describes himself as an erect penis would be an expert on what " any woman in her right mind " would do.
I'm sure that we could get a consensus on this forum that the article quoted provides a perfect example of the original meaning of the phrase " to beg the question ".
You do realize that I am quoting the building manager from a CTV Winnipeg story, do you not? Unless you have proof, why would you accuse a staff member of describing himself as an erect penis?

Having said that, if what the Forks building manager said is true, it will be the second time in just over 15 months that Mrs.Fontaine has been proven to be less than honest. It would certainly explain why she refused to file an incident report with the WPS.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Jun 20, 2017 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I think this whole discussion of driverless and flying cars is the result of too much gender studies and not enough STEM.
Are you suggesting that we face the pain and prepare for the ultimate?

Anyway, most major automakers plan to have fleets of autonomous cars on the road in fewer than 5 years. The big shift that these automakers are hip to, is that private car ownership is falling by the wayside, so they want to be the ones holding the fleet of autonomous cars for hire. If you have the milk, why buy the cow, and all that. This is another step in the transition towards services that mature economies have been making for decades.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:54 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The big shift that these automakers are hip to, is that private car ownership is falling by the wayside, so they want to be the ones holding the fleet of autonomous cars for hire.
I don't believe that's a trend that exists. It's more like a trend that they want to exist. Much like the companies 20 years ago that tried to convince us to rent our computers.

Renting out a product is more lucrative than selling it. So there'll always be big marketing and business plans for renting out the next big thing, but that doesn't mean consumers will agree.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
A
Anyway, most major automakers plan to have fleets of autonomous cars on the road in fewer than 5 years. The big shift that these automakers are hip to, is that private car ownership is falling by the wayside, so they want to be the ones holding the fleet of autonomous cars for hire. If you have the milk, why buy the cow, and all that. This is another step in the transition towards services that mature economies have been making for decades.
Is that why auto sales in the U.S. and Canada hit all-time highs in 2016?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:05 PM

Finessing, automated cars don't quite exist yet, so I don't know how you think they would disrupt auto sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
I don't believe that's a trend that exists. It's more like a trend that they want to exist. Much like the companies 20 years ago that tried to convince us to rent our computers.

Renting out a product is more lucrative than selling it. So there'll always be big marketing and business plans for renting out the next big thing, but that doesn't mean consumers will agree.
Yeah, mature economies don't shift to providing services over manufacturing goods. That's just some personal flight of fancy, not what every economist on earth has noticed has been happening for a hundred years.

You even defeat your own point when you say that it's more lucrative to rent. If that is the case, people rent and don't sell.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Finessing, automated cars don't quite exist yet, so I don't know how you think they would disrupt auto sales.
You said that "The big shift that these automakers are hip to, is that private car ownership is falling by the wayside..."

What data are you basing that statement on? How is private car ownership falling by the wayside when auto sales are at record-levels?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:58 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
That's right. And given that electric cars have far fewer moving parts - making them cheaper to maintain - car ownership could just as well increase.

Now spoiled kids can have a car, since they won't need a driver's licence. Seniors too.

Quote:
Yeah, mature economies don't shift to providing services over manufacturing goods.
Cars have been part of a mature economy for 70 years. The number of people renting them for regular use - compared to owning them - is almost non-existent. (And no, leasing doesn't count. Leasing a car is much closer to ownership than to renting or a service.)

Quote:
You even defeat your own point when you say that it's more lucrative to rent. If that is the case, people rent and don't sell.
You miss the point. It's more lucrative for the dealer. Consumers can ignore the rental service, and almost always do. Only an insignificant percentage of people rent their full-time use cars, or their TVs or computers or furniture, despite those rentals being widely available.

Homes are the significant exception. Largely because they're an exception in another way: They appreciate over time. A home - house or apartment block - is worth more a decade later. The rental agency can compete with ownership, renting at cost and still making money. While after the same decade, the value of a car or TV is pretty much gone.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 12:00 PM
BANNED

This should be fun. Sitting back and enjoying the two biggest blowhards- RogerStrong and Biguc duke it out, while the rest of us either laugh or enjoy the spectacle.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:31 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

What does any of this have to do with SkyCity?

I'm calling the Skyscraperpage police.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 5:42 PM

[QUOTE=Only The Lonely..;7857769]What does any of this have to do with SkyCity?

I'm calling the Skyscraperpage police.[/Q

I also wanted to know how how that discussion relates to SKYCITY??
Or am I on the wrong discussion thread?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 5:48 PM

Because there's nothing to talk about on SkyCity.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:51 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:35 PM

^ Ha... those were the days. There were so few TV channels back then that even someone on public access TV could become fairly well known around town.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:49 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

So it's Monday again...Another week on SSP Forum.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:47 PM

^Weekends a pretty boring around here. Even week nights haha

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:01 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^Weekends a pretty boring around here. Even week nights haha
I've sort of taken a liking to Mondays for this reason. Each new week promises the potential of some new project being announced or new rumours being discussed. New project announcements are like crack to me... well the good ones anyway. Suburban junk just depresses the hell outa me.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:10 PM

The WFP's business section usually runs something development/commercial real estate related in Monday's edition, so there is always that to look forward to.

That said, today's story is about a boring 5-storey luxury condo development way out on Henderson, so not much to talk about there.

Rated M for 'meh'

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:42 PM
BANNED

That screams luxury...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:50 PM

If you check what they've been building recently on Henderson. This is gold plated haha. Actually looks like an apartment building. As opposed to a stucco suburban box on steroids.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.92066...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:59 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The WFP's business section usually runs something development/commercial real estate related in Monday's edition, so there is always that to look forward to.

That said, today's story is about a boring 5-storey luxury condo development way out on Henderson, so not much to talk about there.

Rated M for 'meh'
Luxury and Henderson are not synonymous with one another, unless they're referring to land north of the Perim. (ie East St. Paul and vicinity).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan