HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:24 PM
BANNED

The addition of more residential could have resulted in that, but Winnipeg is not Hamilton LOL.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post

Occupied by which tenants?
It would be one building instead of the two, there is over 40 storeys there now under construction.

I do appreciate what we’re getting I just wish it had an impact on the skyline, I like the one 40 storey tower idea.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:27 PM
BANNED

It would have been dramatic.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I know it sounds like complaining, but it would have made a magnificent 40ish storey building.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love what we are getting but...
Quote:

Taller doesn't mean more floorspace. TNS is taking up way more sf than 300 Main, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
It would be one building instead of the two, there is over 40 storeys there now under construction.

I do appreciate what we’re getting I just wish it had an impact on the skyline, I like the one 40 storey tower idea.
There were many proposals for this site, some were as tall or taller than 40 stories. Despite the grandeur of such height, an entire site and its surroundings create a better asset... so apparently this scheme was considered better than the taller ones...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:29 PM

Here's a question for the engineers and bean counters. Is a 40 story tower cheaper or more expensive than two 20 story towers?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:37 PM

Combining the four TNS towers into two towers of approximately 35-40 storeys each would have made for an extremely impressive skyline punch, but you have to admit that having the equivalent of one city block (half a block west of Carlton and half a block east) transformed from parking lots to a dense cluster of midrises is still pretty awesome.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Here's a question for the engineers and bean counters. Is a 40 story tower cheaper or more expensive than two 20 story towers?
One forty story tower requires only one foundation, albeit a stronger one, yet relies on a stronger structure throughout. Costs for structure, mechanical and some other items are not linear once you exceed 20 stories, so it does get pricier. Certainly for steel as well. Many factors contribute to this.

Two 20 storey towers includes two foundations, two roofs and envelope systems, two sets of controls, mech systems etc. and if built simultaneously, two crews, twice the heating hoarding, temp power and associated costs of running a job that goes vertical. while costs don't jump beyond linear progression after a certain height, you still have to start and finish a job twice, as opposed to smoothly continuing operations.

Above 50 storeys, however, is where time especially is no longer linear. Time to complete is noticeably longer, relative to height, than a 40 storey project. This is also subject to the various civic hoops you have to jump through at this level.
In short, it's hard to tell lol.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:10 PM
What could go wrong?

BOOM!

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Many tenants, great...the best tenants. Many good tenants from both sides...both sides of the city.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
One forty story tower requires only one foundation, albeit a stronger one, yet relies on a stronger structure throughout. Costs for structure, mechanical and some other items are not linear once you exceed 20 stories, so it does get pricier. Certainly for steel as well. Many factors contribute to this.

Two 20 storey towers includes two foundations, two roofs and envelope systems, two sets of controls, mech systems etc. and if built simultaneously, two crews, twice the heating hoarding, temp power and associated costs of running a job that goes vertical. while costs don't jump beyond linear progression after a certain height, you still have to start and finish a job twice, as opposed to smoothly continuing operations.

Above 50 storeys, however, is where time especially is no longer linear. Time to complete is noticeably longer, relative to height, than a 40 storey project. This is also subject to the various civic hoops you have to jump through at this level.

To your point I have read some where that 20 stories is certainly better than two 10 stories but after 20 stories it becomes far more complicated.

You also have to consider when your project can start earning revenues and the risk of delaying any revenue earnings with a project delay. A delay on a single building pushes back all revenues, but a delay on one of two buildings only pushes back half of the revenues.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Haha! Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I'm no expert on this so I have a question. In the case of the two towers that are there now can they really be considered two entirely separate towers? It looked to me that they don't really have two separate foundations, they just share one big one. Also, wouldn't at least some of the systems/controls be shared as well?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 10:33 PM

They're separate towers founded on separate caissons.

Essentially the entire site has a grid of caissons below. They would be larger diameter below the towers to support the additional loads. Where it is just supporting the parkade, I would think they are smaller diameter. I'm pretty sure this was visible last year when the hole was till open.

Building systems will also be separate. The only thing shared would the parkade ventilation systems. But that's almost a separate building in itself.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Many tenants, great...the best tenants. Many good tenants from both sides...both sides of the city.
Yuge tenants. Amazing tenants. My friends, because of me. I I I. MEEEEEEEEEEE. DONALD TRUMP!!!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 12:31 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Taller doesn't mean more floorspace. TNS is taking up way more sf than 300 Main, for example.
It means much smaller floor plates, which no one wants. That's probably why the TD Centre or whatever it's called now is almost empty. I doubt that TDS would have been interested in spreading its staff across 8 floors in some skinny office tower. There is so much wasted space in a taller building, with multiple elevator banks taking a big chunk out of the floor space in the lower stages. Usually there needs to be some sort of mechanical floor part way up as well.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 9:28 PM

It's a nice day so I decided to walk past the site at lunch instead of going the indoor route. Here's some pictures from Carlton

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
To your point I have read some where that 20 stories is certainly better than two 10 stories but after 20 stories it becomes far more complicated.

You also have to consider when your project can start earning revenues and the risk of delaying any revenue earnings with a project delay. A delay on a single building pushes back all revenues, but a delay on one of two buildings only pushes back half of the revenues.
Actually yes, that latter point is critical. I think, in some provinces, you can accelerate occupancy prior to completion, but not in Winnipeg, so you're making money way sooner on a two tower approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Haha! Thanks!
Here all night!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryfe View Post
I'm no expert on this so I have a question. In the case of the two towers that are there now can they really be considered two entirely separate towers? It looked to me that they don't really have two separate foundations, they just share one big one. Also, wouldn't at least some of the systems/controls be shared as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They're separate towers founded on separate caissons.
below
Essentially the entire site has a grid of caissons below. They would be larger diameter below the towers to support the additional loads. Where it is just supporting the parkade, I would think they are smaller diameter. I'm pretty sure this was visible last year when the hole was till open.

Building systems will also be separate. The only thing shared would the parkade ventilation systems. But that's almost a separate building in itself.
This. They share a parkade but each item of the foundation is it's own little building block for one building.
Quote:
It means much smaller floor plates, which no one wants. That's probably why the TD Centre or whatever it's called now is almost empty. I doubt that TDS would have been interested in spreading its staff across 8 floors in some skinny office tower. There is so much wasted space in a taller building, with multiple elevator banks taking a big chunk out of the floor space in the lower stages. Usually there needs to be some sort of mechanical floor part way up as well.
Yes and no. For residential, narrower floorplates are usually preferred, provided you can go high enough to achieve the amount of sf you need. A thinner, more square profile like 300 Main is better for residential than TNS as it allows more units to have more than one outside window, and minimizes unused floorspace. One hallway around the core is less than long hallways from end to end.

As you suggested, the ratio between gross (all space) and net (space that earns rent) measure a floorspace's efficiency... the higher the better, ergo you're not paying construction costs on non-revenue-generating space. TNS apt building might not be as efficient due to longer hallways and perhaps more storage and stairway requirements. Furthermore, you also have to run mechanical and electrical systems out wider/longer, which costs money.

The counter argument is that above 20 storeys, you may need two mechnical systems to provide pressure, so shorter/wider could be better from that perspective.

For office, you're correct, a bigger floorplate is usually preferred. You can cram cubicles in the middle of a giant floor, even offices. You can't cram an apartment unit in the middle of a floor without any windows.

But depending on the market and city, some don't care. Blue chip tenants might like the idea of a large floorplate but wouldn't turn down multiple floors at prestigious addresses in major markets.

As for 201 Portage being empty, that's a different matter because all other office towers at that intersection are performing better.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 10:33 PM

^ The only office tower in Winnipeg I can think of that has struggled over the years to fill space due to small floorplates is the Kensington on Portage. But even they've found niche tenants to fill the place up... there are a lot of small firms and even immigrant services including education providers, such that the lobby sometimes takes on the feel of a school when all the learners come out of the elevators at once.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:38 AM

For 201 Portage, I'm surprised Telus hasn't needed more space in that tower with them having a substantial increase of customers here with the Bell/MTS merger. Now that they are a bigger player in MB, I wouldn't be surprised with them buying the naming rights to that building or somewhere else eventually..

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
For 201 Portage, I'm surprised Telus hasn't needed more space in that tower with them having a substantial increase of customers here with the Bell/MTS merger. Now that they are a bigger player in MB, I wouldn't be surprised with them buying the naming rights to that building or somewhere else eventually..
I didn't even know they were in 201... how many floors do they have?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan