HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 4:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I always assumed King of the Hill was based in a fictional DFW suburb.

Edit: Just found this:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/enterta...0once%20lived.

True, however there is a lot of Austin within King of the Hill. Rainey Street for example is named after Rainey Street here. There are other small bits and pieces of Austin sprinkled in. Remember the flood episode.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Apparently the smashing of the copy machine scene happened at what is now The Domain. Also, is Mike Judge from Austin? King of the Hill is also obviously set in some Austin suburb yet they live on Rainey St.
Geography speaking King of the Hill is actually set in Temple. In a few episodes like Bill's Birthday, Hank said "we are and hr away from Austin". Also with the home coming games with Belton and Bill working at the Army base nearby. With that said, I do like how Mike Judge conglomerated alot of what makes Texas special in the small fictional town of Arlen.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:34 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Nice rundown of 5 Austin locations for Office Space: https://community.spiceworks.com/top...y-tech-classic

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:46 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

You can see the green building in the background. That's called the "Emerald Building" by workers around there.

The ditch is labeled on Google Maps. That angle is easiest to see if you place your streetview guy in the entrance into the parking lot right where Freidrich Ln doglegs East. It's the entrance just north of the ditch label on the map. Then look back S/SW.

https://www.ampll.com/blog-posts/10-...n-office-space

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
You can see the green building in the background. That's called the "Emerald Building" by workers around there.

The ditch is labeled on Google Maps. That angle is easiest to see if you place your streetview guy in the entrance into the parking lot right where Freidrich Ln doglegs East. It's the entrance just north of the ditch label on the map. Then look back S/SW.

https://www.ampll.com/blog-posts/10-...n-office-space

I used to work in the Southpark office building on the 5th floor and not only watched the filming of Office Space but Miss Congeniality at the Omni Hotel.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 4:53 AM

With temperatures into the 100s does this mean high rise construction can go faster with concrete drying at a faster pace?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 12:14 PM

I am no sure how accurate this is, but I heard that this place was the interior of Chotchke's (or whatever it is called.) I seem to remember them having a photo on the wall from the shoot. It used to be an Old Alligator Grill back in the day, and I can't remember what it was before that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2426...8192?entry=ttu

Quote:
Nice rundown of 5 Austin locations for Office Space: https://community.spiceworks.com/top...y-tech-classic

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 8:28 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I am no sure how accurate this is, but I heard that this place was the interior of Chotchke's (or whatever it is called.) I seem to remember them having a photo on the wall from the shoot. It used to be an Old Alligator Grill back in the day, and I can't remember what it was before that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2426...8192?entry=ttu
This site backs that up: https://www.austintexas.org/film-com...ilm-locations/

Exterior was the bank. Interior was Alligator Grille.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:33 AM

Thanks for that. Now I know for sure. I was pretty sure but didn't want to mis-speak.

Quote:
This site backs that up: https://www.austintexas.org/film-com...ilm-locations/

Exterior was the bank. Interior was Alligator Grille.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 11:34 PM

[QUOTE=DougRockstead;9974373]I am no sure how accurate this is, but I heard that this place was the interior of Chotchke's (or whatever it is called.) I seem to remember them having a photo on the wall from the shoot. It used to be an Old Alligator Grill back in the day, and I can't remember what it was before that.

There's a whole 21-minute video on Youtube that covers all the filming locations of Office Space.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 6:13 AM

My Reddit post on a Chik-fil-a delivery vehicle partially blocking the sidewalk has prompted Vade to produce an article on how food delivery vehicles block the travel lane on this stretch of West 6th.

Lane Closed for Chicken: How a Chick-Fil-A Blocks a Travel Lane for 90% of the Day in Austin, TX

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 7:17 PM

Even though I only get Tiktok days later through Instagram reels, I found this and thought y'all would enjoy it.

Rare urbanism humor

https://www.tiktok.com/@citiesbydian...88534089911595

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 9:30 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I have a question about commuting and surrounding areas being officially grouped into our metro area.

I know it's based on work, or am I mistaken? Does it have to be physical commuters? Because I was thinking, would all of the work-from-home e-commuters qualify? If enough people move to, say, Lampasas, but their employer is Austin-based, do those people count toward the commuter numbers?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 9:33 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
I have a question about commuting and surrounding areas being officially grouped into our metro area.

I know it's based on work, or am I mistaken? Does it have to be physical commuters? Because I was thinking, would all of the work-from-home e-commuters qualify? If enough people move to, say, Lampasas, but their employer is Austin-based, do those people count toward the commuter numbers?
Good question. I struggle with the remote work application, personally, but I don't know what the standard is. If that is the case, then half the country might be part of the Bay Area due to remote workers tech companies.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 9:48 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:

No. Remote work does not count. One must physically commute to be counted as a commuter. Work-at-home (remote) employees do not "commute" anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:29 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
No. Remote work does not count. One must physically commute to be counted as a commuter. Work-at-home (remote) employees do not "commute" anywhere.
How do they keep up with that?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:10 AM

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance but is remote work even still a thing? I thought all companies brought all their employees back in to the office. I know many of the major employers here have.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:23 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
How do they keep up with that?
Easy. Employers know exactly how many remote workers they have. And, when the federal government inquires (or the company is required to report such), the employer provides said information.

Where it gets dicey is when a company's remote workers are not 100% remote. Here, a company requires a "remote" worker to report to the office a certain number of times a week. This is where the definition of commuter may need to be adjusted/refined.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:27 PM
World Traveler

In that case, they're still commuting, even if only a couple times per week.

All said, as I mentioned in another thread (metro, perhaps?), I have seen an increase in longer commuters who drive an hour or so one-way into the Austin metro. In some cases it's due to cost of living, others they just want to be on land, others near family, etc. I've seen Copperas Cove to the Domain, Marble Falls to Tesla and Samsung, Salado to downtown, etc. At my office in Georgetown, we have a lot of people in the warehouse commute from Belton and Killeen (30 and 50 minutes, respectively).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:12 PM

seems like a revision of the criteria would be good regardless.

If you work 100% remote from Burnet, but drive to Williamson/Travis several times per week (socializing, shopping, sports events, etc.) do you contribute to Metro cohesiveness. I'd say yes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin