HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day.
I've been curious about this.

I remember as a kid back in the late 80s/early 90s, I would come into Winnipeg for the weekend and stay at my Aunt's place downtown and I'm pretty sure we would get Pizza Hotline even back then, but it was closer to what Santa Lucia serves than what it is now (I specifically remember them using canned mushrooms and the pizza being cut in squares).

When did Pizza Hotline start?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
You think Dominos is better than Hotline? To me, Dominos is the Perkins of pizza--so unjustifiably bad I don't understand how they exist.
I prefer Domino's over Hotline, yes. Just enjoy it more. However, we'll only order with the show and save coupons. Typical Winnipeg thing, to get a better deal. Sometimes we'll splurge for Pizza Hut. Gondola's is really greasy, but enjoy it as well.

Also, some people really like Perkins. Lol not me.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:47 PM
BANNED

For me Dominos tastes better, especially the pan pizza with the buttery crust--very good. I love the Brooklyn too.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day. Since then other deep discount places like Little Ceasars and Pizza Pizza have entered the market so there wasn't a lot of choice but to try and move up market some.

In terms of the quality of Pizza Hotline and Za Bistro, sure they aren't Pizzeria Gusto high end but for a quick lunch downtown they are very hard to beat and offer a good product for the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
I've been curious about this.

I remember as a kid back in the late 80s/early 90s, I would come into Winnipeg for the weekend and stay at my Aunt's place downtown and I'm pretty sure we would get Pizza Hotline even back then, but it was closer to what Santa Lucia serves than what it is now (I specifically remember them using canned mushrooms and the pizza being cut in squares).

When did Pizza Hotline start?

Really don't think Pizza Hotline has anything to do with Mr. Bones. They co-existed for many years (and do currently).

Jerry Cianflone (Pizza Hotline) opened the first restaurant in 1987 on St Annes. Second on Corydon. Then started franchising out in the early 1990's.

Harold Brazil was behind Mr. Bones which was opened from 1988 to 2004. He changed careers then re-opend Mr. Bones in 2013 on McPhillips.

WFP story on re-opening of Mr. Bones: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...231108811.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:43 PM

I noticed the new Tims at Northgate has opened

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I noticed the new Tims at Northgate has opened
There's one coming soon up the road at Garden City SC.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day. Since then other deep discount places like Little Ceasars and Pizza Pizza have entered the market so there wasn't a lot of choice but to try and move up market some.

In terms of the quality of Pizza Hotline and Za Bistro, sure they aren't Pizzeria Gusto high end but for a quick lunch downtown they are very hard to beat and offer a good product for the price.
Marcello's made-to-order pizzas under the Richardson building are pretty good too. I might prefer them to Pizza Hotline. Haven't tried Za yet.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
For me Dominos tastes better, especially the pan pizza with the buttery crust--very good. I love the Brooklyn too.
I agree - Dominos pan pizza is really solid. And a good value.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Vera's new restaurant, Super Deluxe, is now open at 433 River (Villa Cabrini)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:39 AM

I've just about giving up waiting for the Brown's SocialHouse to open across from MTS. Haven't seen noticeable progress in there for months. They seem to have divided the space now. The space closest to Portage is pretty small.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:05 PM

When Dominos completely changed their recipe a few years back (and pushed the hell out of it) it made a significant difference. Plus the order system is flawless, and if you have a student card hanging around it's half price. Oh, and square cut is just the best.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 1:58 AM

Obviously I owe Dominos another chance. I took their claim that they were improving their food the same way I took Denny's--as a long overdue admission of guilt to serving disgusting food.

Anyway, I tried Super Duluxe this evening. Really tasty, chill place, good location, will eat again. Nice to see Osborne with a win too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 6:21 AM

I just do not understand the draw to chain pizza joints.
Perhaps some of you might want to try quality pizza at some independent places.
Garwood Grill on Pembina has generous toppings and cheese, thin or thick crusts available.
Jeffrey's on Henderson has a unique thin crust, like a soda cracker crust with generous toppings and cheese as well.
The only 2 Pizza Place locations are pick up/delivery on Henderson and Portage west..
not as good as before but not bad.
Autumnbee's in the Grant Park Mall, former Pizza Place is fairly good.
Sorrento's on Ellice is also very good as well. McPhillips is also fairly good.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 3:22 PM

If I'm going non-chain for "American" pizza, it's Slices. I like Sorrento's, Santa Lucia and some of those others, they just tend to be double the price if not more.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I just do not understand the draw to chain pizza joints.
Perhaps some of you might want to try quality pizza at some independent places.
Garwood Grill on Pembina has generous toppings and cheese, thin or thick crusts available.
Jeffrey's on Henderson has a unique thin crust, like a soda cracker crust with generous toppings and cheese as well.
The only 2 Pizza Place locations are pick up/delivery on Henderson and Portage west..
not as good as before but not bad.
Autumnbee's in the Grant Park Mall, former Pizza Place is fairly good.
Sorrento's on Ellice is also very good as well. McPhillips is also fairly good.

This started as a food court lunch conversation. Jeez man. Yes Ive been to Jeffrey's, they have great pizza and chicken wings, surprisingly. Been going there for many years, since parents went there after softball. Changed owners a bunch. Many people gush over Dals, which I find good. Lots of people also like 21st Centruy pizza. Those are a few local to NE.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:27 PM

Looks like long time north Main st restaurateur Sandy Doyle (Blondie) is retiring and looking to sell.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.3947660

Personally never been. Saw her on "You gotta eat here" and she did come across as a bit grating. Not sure how much was dry humour and how much was genuine.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Really don't think Pizza Hotline has anything to do with Mr. Bones. They co-existed for many years (and do currently).
I am definitely not an expert on this but I think the Pizza Hotline and Mr Bones connection is Pizza Hotline perhaps took over a big block on former Mr Bones franchise locations at a single time? it is one of those pre-maintstream internet local stories that was never well documented like every tiny thing is today.

The Za Bistro and Pizza Hotline WPG Square conversation mostly came up as Za was opening a new location in the City Place food court and I compared them with Pizza Hotline who had changed to a similar "Subway style" ordering system about six months back. As both are downtown and very much targeting the office worker crowd they are very different than a $20+ dinner pizza place.

On a different note, not only is the Northgate Tim Hortons now opens it looked with Dairy Queen is a month to two out. The Jollibee still looked like it was easily a month or two before they even started work on the interior. Not sure where the other places all slot in but it looked like around eight back doors on the Tim Hortons/Dairy Queen building. Also the Dairy Queen is configured to have a drive thru. With the future Jollibee drive thru that will be at least three drive thrus in a fairly tight space. With the state of the current construction it is hard to say for sure but seemed like the Jollibee could be bigger than the Ellice location.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:40 PM

^ I'm amazed that the only person ever to conquer the nine pound burger was a woman!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Pfft--iv'e had more meat in my mouth....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:04 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Looks like long time north Main st restaurateur Sandy Doyle (Blondie) is retiring and looking to sell.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.3947660

Personally never been. Saw her on "You gotta eat here" and she did come across as a bit grating. Not sure how much was dry humour and how much was genuine.
Before she sells/closes, go have a burger there. You won't be disappointed.

The quarter pounders are gigantic, and the half pounders are stupid big.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan