HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:13 PM
be nice to the crackheads

The Hello Kitty subculture is an interesting one. My cousin is obsessed with the brand, and it was everywhere in Taiwan and China. It's fascinating how popular it is and for how long.

The lineup to get in is crazy.

Video Link

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's a VERY Newfoundland day in the media.

New Corner Brook hospital/long-term care home is too small for even existing needs. As people are being moved out of the old hospital in the city, some are being sent where there's room hundreds of kilometers away.

People are livid. End result, I guarantee it, is we'll be paying to keep the old hospital going as well. For a shrinking city of 20K.

And, perhaps in related news, were suing Ottawa over the equalization formula.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 6:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 7:55 PM

^ That's a pretty cool Video.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 1:45 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...erry-1.7221547
2024 Canadian Screen Awards: BlackBerry becomes most awarded title in ceremony's history
Little Bird takes home 13 trophies, becoming CSA's highest awarded TV series
Jackson Weaver · CBC News · Posted: May 31, 2024 6:45 PM EDT
Quote:
In an echo of last year's duel record-breaking performance by dramas The Porter and Brother, both BlackBerry and Little Bird shattered records at the final night of the 2024 Canadian Screen Awards.

But while those first two titles both became the most ever awarded at the CSAs last year with 12 wins apiece, there was one clear winner on Friday. BlackBerry, the cellphone company-centred drama helmed by Toronto's Matt Johnson, took home three wins: with achievement in direction going to Johnson, performance in a comedy leading role to Jay Baruchel, and the film taking home the top prize of best motion picture.

BlackBerry had already collected 11 trophies at a gala last night that handed out the bulk of the film prizes, nabbing best adapted screenplay, best cinematography and best supporting comedy performer for U.S. actor Glenn Howerton.

Its combined total of 14 is above any other film or TV show in the awards' history — a sort of highly lauded validation of what industry insiders have called a much needed commercialization of Canada's flagging cinema industry...

Jay Baruchel and Glenn Howerton star in BlackBerry. The movie became the most awarded film in CSA history on Friday. (CBC)

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:24 AM

has he ever been funny?

Rob Schneider removed from Regina stage during controversial show

By Andrew Benson Global News
Posted June 5, 2024 11:49 am
Updated June 5, 2024

Quote:
Social media posts were shared online after the performance saying people were walking out during the performance.

After the show had continued for a while, Schneider was asked to leave by the HORF.

“We do not condone, accept, endorse or share Mr. Schneider’s positions, as expressed during his comedy set and acknowledge that in this instance the performance did not meet the expectations of our audience and our team,” the foundation said.

HORF said Schneider agreed to leave the stage immediately.

“An unconditional apology was offered right after to our guests and our community. We reiterate this sincere and unconditional apology today, for any offense caused by Mr. Schneider’s recent comedy set, at the Four Seasons Ball.”

Global News has reached out to Schneider’s management team for comment on the performance.

The private fundraising event was sold out and raised over $350,000 for hospitals in Regina.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10547512/...d-regina-show/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:31 AM

No, he is where mirth goes to die, in the same general vicinity as Tom Green. They should be flipping burgers somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:36 AM

Some of his performances in movies are very funny. But I don't think he's a good stand up at all. I've also read he has some really dumb things to say off the stage. So it's not surprising if he crossed the line, even the one for comedy standards.

I never cared for him on SNL and he had his own show based on himself several years ago and it was pretty bad.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:52 AM

“While we recognize that in a free and democratic society individuals are entitled to their views and opinions and that comedy is intended to be edgy,"

Apparently, the foundation doesn't recognize that at all.

You wanna throw him off the stage fine, but don't gaslight with that shit. I can already see the headlines, Regina, the city that doesn't rhyme with fun.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:38 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
“While we recognize that in a free and democratic society individuals are entitled to their views and opinions and that comedy is intended to be edgy,"

Apparently, the foundation doesn't recognize that at all.

You wanna throw him off the stage fine, but don't gaslight with that shit. I can already see the headlines, Regina, the city that doesn't rhyme with fun.
Well, it actually rhymes with "Be China".

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Well, it actually rhymes with "Be China".
It sure does.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:29 AM

Anti-vaxxer makes anti-vax jokes at a hospital charity event. What could possibly go wrong?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:54 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
No, he is where mirth goes to die, in the same general vicinity as Tom Green. They should be flipping burgers somewhere.
To me, Adam Sandler is in that category too. He's had ONE character/voice that may have been somewhat humourous the first time it was used (probably on SNL) but he has grown very tiresome even as he's attempted to branch into roles that have a more serious side.

EDIT: I most recently saw Tom Green on a "Canadian" comedy series a couple of years ago called Last One Laughing... he was actually quite funny, beating Colin Mochrie (who I think is VERY funny) to become the last comedian of about 10.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jun 6, 2024 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
To me, Adam Sandler is in that category too. He's had ONE character/voice that may have been somewhat humourous the first time it was used (probably on SNL) but he has grown very tiresome even as he's attempted to branch into roles that have a more serious side.
I agree, but I should qualify my views by saying that the type of humour these guys represent is not really my cup of tea. In fact, I don't think I have seen a single film of any of them; just clips and appearances on TV. (I don't watch those kinds of films.) Of the times I have seen Tom Green, nothing he said, or the ways in which he said it, even approached being funny. It's as if humour is an utterly alien concept to him.
I do find some lowbrow bathroom humour very funny (I'll sometimes laugh for ages at the sound of a fart; that's the 12-year-old in me), but people like Woody Allen (Love and Death-era) and the Dennis Miller of old are more my style. I also think it's much more about the delivery than the type or genre of humour. In that regard, no one beats 1990s Miller, on his old HBO show, dripping with the most abrasive sarcasm and teeming with obscure references. I loved it!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

EDIT: I most recently saw Tom Green on a "Canadian" comedy series a couple of years ago called Last One Laughing... he was actually quite funny, beating Colin Mochrie (who I think is VERY funny) to become the last comedian of about 10.
Yeah, Tom Green never did it for me, so I was pleasantly surprised by how funny he was on that show. Maybe someone should give him a chance to do comedy where it's not lowbrow and he's not over the top trying too hard.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:16 AM

I never liked Sandler on SNL. I didn't get it. I liked his contemporaries/friends in Norm, Farley and Spade, but not Schneider.

But he has had some very good comedies afterwards, though some of the humour in them doesn't really land. It's just that he has so many bad ones too. Like more bad than good. And it's like why? Well, when you don't care, and studios will give you money, then you do whatever they want.

His turn in Uncut Gems was phenomenal though. And the movie where he's a basketball scout was great.

Last edited by megadude; Jun 7, 2024 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:28 AM

Staying on the topic of comedy, I've been listening to the Smartless Podcast with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett for about a year now. After listening to a few, I developed the opinion that Arnett might be the funniest person on the planet.

Sure, GOB in Arrested Development was funny, but he was over the top and not as funny as straight man Michael with his subtle humour. Or Michael Cera's awkward George Michael with his excellent comic timing. Or Tobias. I didn't pay much attention to him in his movie or TV roles after, though I did watch Bojack Horseman season 1. But that was just a voice. Where I really appreciate him is when he's just being himself and shooting the shit.

I started watching hours of him on talk shows and the guy has me in stitches. He's unbelievably quick witted. Just like on his podcast. He has the funniest quips like .1 seconds after someone finishes speaking. It's like not humanly possible to process what someone is saying and then immediately respond with something funny that quickly. And you'll hear Bateman acknowledge that sometimes.

And interesting fact: His dad was CEO of Molson.

Then there's Marty Short. I never fully appreciated him before a few months ago. I'm not all that into his acting roles, but he's considered to be the greatest talk show guest of all time by many. And I see why. A few months ago I started consuming all his clips on Youtube and he has the same lightning quick wit as Arnett. But he also has that magnetic smile and charisma. He just draws you right in. And who knew he could do so many impressions. He's not known for that but he has quite a few up his sleeve.

And then I watched all clips from Jiminy Glick. Again, he can easily go off script and come up with some of the best improv you'll ever hear.

A lot of comedic actors or just people in the comedy world say Marty is the funniest person alive. It's based just on conversations they have with him. He is incredibly revered.

For stand ups, a lot of them think of Norm as a stand up's stand up. He was the favourite of people doing the same thing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 10:17 PM

Martin Short is one of the funniest people alive, and a Canadian treasure.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:07 PM

Live Nation establishing a venue in Ottawa! End of 2025 opening.

The National Capital Commission has signed a deal with Live Nation to open a venue at the old Chapters on Rideau Street, a two storey building (once a Woolworth) that stretches from Rideau to George in the ByWard Market.

Live Nation had officially planned to be part of Lansdowne 2.0, but that fell through.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/In...dkjr?entry=ttu

https://obj.ca/live-nation-to-set-up...ters-building/

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ncc-buys-f...ding-1.6726925

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:52 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Attended an awards ceremony tonight (we won 8!) but one of the winners was St. Bonaventure's College (private Catholic school, attached to the Basilica in all the photos of St. John's) and the video was adorable lol

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada