HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:01 AM

Davies out for tomorrow's game. He's headed back to Germany for treatment.

https://www.tsn.ca/alphonso-davies-t...jury-1.1690666

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 10:44 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 12:27 AM

2 nil Canada at half time!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:23 AM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
hope Toronto doesn't eff it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
should have been more concerned about the players on the field

Just sayin'. Glad it looks like the November qualifiers will be in Edmonton (Costa Rica, Mexico)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 3:27 AM

Is it just me or does it seems like Richie Laryea should have more interest from Europe, particularly some of the bigger clubs? It was two seasons ago when he joined his hometown team that I realized just how good he is.

Alphonso on the left is pretty special but I also feel like Laryea on the right (for TFC) is pretty special too. I mean, how much difference is there between the two? I feel like Richie actually has a better touch on the ball.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Is it just me or does it seems like Richie Laryea should have more interest from Europe, particularly some of the bigger clubs? It was two seasons ago when he joined his hometown team that I realized just how good he is.

Alphonso on the left is pretty special but I also feel like Laryea on the right (for TFC) is pretty special too. I mean, how much difference is there between the two? I feel like Richie actually has a better touch on the ball.
Richie is a pretty good player but he is not literally or figuratively in the same league as Phonsie. Just today, I was reading an article by a former American player and present commentator (can't remember who) and he said the US's best player Pulisic is not even in the same conversation as Davies.

I don't recall hearing this (but it has been published) that back in May. Atiba was going to talk to Besiktas about Richie. Don't laugh, that was how Larin got in there and Atiba is like a God at Besiktas.

Also, as long as I can remember we have certain player agents who seem to specialize in one country and we often have a run of players going to that country. Turkey seems to be in vogue now. The first I remember was Scotland, then Germany and then Holland. We once had three players sign in the Eredivisie in one day.

If we keep doing well I think you'll definitely see some players moving to bigger clubs when the Octagonal is completed and Richie will likely be one of them. I'll say this about him, he is one of our best "Concacafers" knowledgeable in the dirty, dark arts of Central American teams.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 1:14 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Richie is a pretty good player but he is not literally or figuratively in the same league as Phonsie.
Laryea doesn't need to be Davies-level to play in Europe. He's good enough to play in the middling Euro leagues (Turkey, Belgium, etc.), and he'll likely leave in the winter window. He's put in good enough matches this cycle to warrant it.

I think the more impressive thing is that Johnston was playing in League 1 Ontario only a few years ago, and now is putting in really good performances against good competition.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 3:16 PM

That was an excellent match yesterday by the Canucks. Start to finish a solid effort. If we put in a few more like that against Jamaica, Costa Rica, and our achilles heel Honduras then we will be in great shape to punch our ticket to Qatar!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 4:44 PM
jammon member

Quote:

Just sayin'. Glad it looks like the November qualifiers will be in Edmonton (Costa Rica, Mexico)
Yep. I'm so tired of the Toronto focus. Soccer Canada really needs to do a better job of circulating games to other cities. Canada is small- there is no reason why smaller cities can't host as well. Once upon a time, Winnipeg hosted qualifiers- I remember going to a qualifying game against Cuba and it was loud and sold out.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 4:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Yep. I'm so tired of the Toronto focus. Soccer Canada really needs to do a better job of circulating games to other cities. Canada is small- there is no reason why smaller cities can't host as well. Once upon a time, Winnipeg hosted qualifiers- I remember going to a qualifying game against Cuba and it was loud and sold out.
Couple things:
  • BMO has natural grass which is the preferred choice for CONCACAF, CMNT, and FIFA as a whole. What other Canadian stadiums have natural grass?
  • The key to World Cup qualifiers should be to ensure the best possible setting for Canada to succeed. This means being easily accessible for flights to-and-from Europe where CMNT players will be arriving from. Requiring additional flights to smaller Canadian centres creates a more difficult scenario and timeline for both Canadian players and for visiting CONCACAF nations. Where will CMNT players stay? Where will visiting players stay? Where will both teams train prior to the match? What logistics are in place for the teams in the days leading up to the match? All of these are much easier the larger the city the teams play in.
  • Consistency in logistics is also key for CSA and CMNT. Hosting in the same setting means that procedures can be easily repeated, including COVID protocols these days. For CSA, event-hosting, coordination of amenities, and everything else can be repeated and perfected upon if hosting in the same location. Toronto is a familiar city for CSA and, as much as people hate it, BMO is the default national stadium for CMNT.
  • Stadium availability.

I know everyone loves to hate Toronto and everyone wants to see CMNT play in St. John's and Iqaluit, but at the end of the day there's only a certain number of stadiums that are actually suitable to host CMNT matches and which qualify for everything listed above given the timelines of 2022 qualification. The only cities hosting this cycle are likely going to be Toronto, Vancouver, and Edmonton - which, shockingly, are also likely to be our World Cup hosting cities in 2026.

Instead of messing around worrying about whether Prince George is hosting a game our focus should be on the field where things matter more. It's incredibly tiring to see the best ever CMNT side wash away Central American teams and having people still more focused on where the game is played or how many people are in the seats. That shouldn't be the focus.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 4:56 PM

I know we all love to see the US get throttled and humiliated but their win yesterday helps us as well, knowing we are likely battling Honduras for that 3/4 spots.

I know I know, US didn't make it in 2018 but that's an anomaly. If they find their form we need the central American teams to get thrashed as much as possible by US/MEX and so far, neither of them have done a great job of it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Laryea doesn't need to be Davies-level to play in Europe. He's good enough to play in the middling Euro leagues (Turkey, Belgium, etc.), and he'll likely leave in the winter window. He's put in good enough matches this cycle to warrant it.

I think the more impressive thing is that Johnston was playing in League 1 Ontario only a few years ago, and now is putting in really good performances against good competition.
Of course Richie could play in Europe and I think he is good enough (and mature enough) to play in one of the Big Four leagues but Davies is damn near in that best of best category.

Buchanan could play in a Big Four league but he needs that little extra seasoning to go from being a bench player (on a big league team) into being able to walk in to a club as a starter. That's why I think Club Brugge was a good place for him to go on his way to hopefully bigger and better things.

IMO, for a young player, Johnston has the maturity to play in a Big Four league, I am not sure how quickly he will get there. As a fan, you hope that they don't become a bench player on a low level team, struggling against relegation, even though it is in a big league.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 5:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Buchanan could play in a Big Four league but he needs that little extra seasoning to go from being a bench player (on a big league team) into being able to walk in to a club as a starter. That's why I think Club Brugge was a good place for him to go on his way to hopefully bigger and better things.
I know you talked about Scotland and Turkey as a landing spot for Canadians but lately it's been Belgium. Buchanan, David, Borges all ended up there or will end up there, and I think it's a logical stepping stone because it's a good combination of good level of football combined with playing important minutes. Good MLS-level players can go there and have an impact while playing big minutes.

Buchanan is obviously a very good player but he does need more time to develop mentally. He's still making silly decisions, going in too hard for tackles when he doesn't need to, and over-running on the press. He had a great game last night and i've no doubt he'll develop into a great CMNT player.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
I know we all love to see the US get throttled and humiliated but their win yesterday helps us as well, knowing we are likely battling Honduras for that 3/4 spots.

I know I know, US didn't make it in 2018 but that's an anomaly. If they find their form we need the central American teams to get thrashed as much as possible by US/MEX and so far, neither of them have done a great job of it.
Because neither the US or Mexico is that good anymore, or they are and we've almost caught up. We've got to get near a top spot, number 4 is no good, God knows who you'll have a playoff with. In Concacaf it's all about the "dark arts" something Canada is finally starting to learn.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
I know you talked about Scotland and Turkey as a landing spot for Canadians but lately it's been Belgium. Buchanan, David, Borges all ended up there or will end up there, and I think it's a logical stepping stone because it's a good combination of good level of football combined with playing important minutes. Good MLS-level players can go there and have an impact while playing big minutes.

Buchanan is obviously a very good player but he does need more time to develop mentally. He's still making silly decisions, going in too hard for tackles when he doesn't need to, and over-running on the press. He had a great game last night and i've no doubt he'll develop into a great CMNT player.
Actually, I meant Scotland 20 years ago, but now that I think about it, we have players there lately as well. You missed one big name on the Belgium list, Larin. He was struggling at Besiktas, had a loan to Zulte Waregem where he regained his form, and then went on to star at Besiktas.

I totally agree about Buchanan. Another example of using Belgium as a good training ground was Tomas Radzinski who went from Anderlecht straight into a top spot at Premier league Everton.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Couple things:
  • BMO has natural grass which is the preferred choice for CONCACAF, CMNT, and FIFA as a whole. What other Canadian stadiums have natural grass?
  • The key to World Cup qualifiers should be to ensure the best possible setting for Canada to succeed. This means being easily accessible for flights to-and-from Europe where CMNT players will be arriving from. Requiring additional flights to smaller Canadian centres creates a more difficult scenario and timeline for both Canadian players and for visiting CONCACAF nations. Where will CMNT players stay? Where will visiting players stay? Where will both teams train prior to the match? What logistics are in place for the teams in the days leading up to the match? All of these are much easier the larger the city the teams play in.
  • Consistency in logistics is also key for CSA and CMNT. Hosting in the same setting means that procedures can be easily repeated, including COVID protocols these days. For CSA, event-hosting, coordination of amenities, and everything else can be repeated and perfected upon if hosting in the same location. Toronto is a familiar city for CSA and, as much as people hate it, BMO is the default national stadium for CMNT.
  • Stadium availability.
I know everyone loves to hate Toronto and everyone wants to see CMNT play in St. John's and Iqaluit, but at the end of the day there's only a certain number of stadiums that are actually suitable to host CMNT matches and which qualify for everything listed above given the timelines of 2022 qualification. The only cities hosting this cycle are likely going to be Toronto, Vancouver, and Edmonton - which, shockingly, are also likely to be our World Cup hosting cities in 2026.

Instead of messing around worrying about whether Prince George is hosting a game our focus should be on the field where things matter more. It's incredibly tiring to see the best ever CMNT side wash away Central American teams and having people still more focused on where the game is played or how many people are in the seats. That shouldn't be the focus.
I've never had a problem admitting the truth, this IS and ISN'T an anti Toronto thing. It ISN'T because like anti Americanism I find it a cheap and lazy generalization. It IS when there is a pattern of not performing up to expectations which is constantly repeated.

At least three people last night mentioned the crowd disappointedly (see video below), Kaye (who said it was was like playing an away game), Herdman (who said the players were booed getting off the bus) and Borjan above. Before anyone points it out I am well aware it was El Salvadorans not Canadians but this shouldn't happen.

Toronto has a long history of not selling out (the last two games have sold out) at a tiny restricted 15k capacity in by far the largest market in the country. How is it the El Salvador fans and to a smaller extent Hondurans were able to buy up tickets before the Toronto fans.

Toronto fans such as yourself are hurt when others point out their poor performance as a host city. I have at times posted reasons for using Toronto some of which you posted above but you can't have players talking that way and not being affected. Booed getting off the bus in your home country is an epic fail.

Every major stadium in Canada can host a WC qualifier. The only ones that would have an issue would be Regina with the inlaid lines that would have to be muted and the stadium and surface at Calgary would likely also be an issue. Both would be more trouble than they were worth to get them playable.

I have read (and posted) the UEFA stadium guide and seeing as the majority of Canadian stadiums (stadia) are relatively new they pass the muster. FIFA has never had an issue with third generation artificial turf, in fact, they used to have a web page promoting it, because in several countries for various reasons it was the better option in providing a playable surface.

No one is criticizing the good/great job the fan groups have done ie Voyageurs. In the first game they drowned out the Hondurans but it might have been a different story in the El Salvador game had we not smoked them so early.

I think your second group of points are moot with this WCQ format. We have to weigh getting booed in your own country with some advantages (being home to many players) Toronto has a history of selling 25k tickets to TFC games and 10-15k to CMNT games, where did they go? Toronto area fans have to do better because this is not acceptable without giving someone else a shot to do better.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 6:16 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 6:17 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Canada only has two proper soccer stadiums. Montreal and Toronto. Montreal is even worse at filling the stadium with Canadian fans.

Edmonton gave up its right to host games when they installed plastic. There is no reason to go there to play in a 50 year old stadium without grass.

Flying our players across the continent to Edmonton or even Vancouver in the short window they have is a bad move.

Stay in Toronto. It’s about winning, nothing else. Play off season friendlies in remote places if they want.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Canada only has two proper soccer stadiums. Montreal and Toronto.

Edmonton gave up its right to host games when they installed plastic. There is no reason to go there to play in a 50 year old stadium without grass.
Totally untrue, we have played men's WCQ and a FIFA WWC on artificial turf. Edmonton is a very well kept stadium, that would be like saying the US couldn't play in the Rose Bowl or USC because they were 100 years old. Some of the turf fields in Central America are terrible, I can't remember which one where the Americans were complaining about the bumps.

I'm not saying get out of Toronto as an anti Toronto thing, I would love for them to stay there (as a consistency thing), but they have to do better. Even though they didn't make a federal case about it, last night's events were mentioned by the players, obviously they wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't a concern to them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada