HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 8:13 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Park a semi or an ATCO trailer and sell the beer out of that for a while. This isn't exactly a moon landing.
There's generally certain requirements for a vendor. I'm not sure what the case is there though. My vendor in Waterhen is an exception to the rule.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Park a semi or an ATCO trailer and sell the beer out of that for a while. This isn't exactly a moon landing.
Exactly. Something can be arranged. And besides, they are likely going to be losing money anyways with a lack of a running hotel, so it's not like the vendor will be the make or break of their business. Something has to give way eventually.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:18 AM

I asked the person at the desk a couple weeks ago when I hit the Osborne Village Cafe. They're just renovating into a tiki bar or something and the vendor is safe.

As for the tiki bar idea, it's silly but I really like the Waldorf hotel in Vancouver and it has a tiki bar. Only its tiki bar is a piece of living history from the '50s.

If Osborne lost its vendor that would effectively break the neighborhood. Those who say there is an LC up the street don't understand the way drinking in the village works. LC booze is for pregaming. Vendor beer is for when you're already extravagantly drunk at 2 AM and decide a 15 of Keystone is just what you need.

Also, the vendor is the biggest draw to get anyone past Stradbrook. It's the one advantage to the stupid way we sell alcohol in this province, but any place that sells booze is a destination. It's why drunks congregate and why downtown liquor stores become magnets for trouble. It's also the only thing south of Stradbrook worth going to at night.

Redeveloping the hotel property--or any property on that corner--won't start until the firehall is gone, anyway. I do think it would be pretty nice to see the firehall and hotel redeveloped at once.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:35 PM
surely you agree with me

the Roslyn Road apartment proposal won its variance appeal last night 2-1. Schreyer opposed.

The meeting went from 9:00am until 8:30pm.

one lady who went on for hours stayed to oppose a second project on Marion.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:57 PM

^ wow, 64 pages of info on the hearing with 3 appeals on the docket..long day..

Happy to here the result.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the Roslyn Road apartment proposal won its variance appeal last night 2-1. Schreyer opposed.

The meeting went from 9:00am until 8:30pm.

one lady who went on for hours stayed to oppose a second project on Marion.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...ctionId=416521

I love the incoherent hand written letters.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post

Like Heather Hogarths pages and pages of ramblings. complaining about density? Seriously, she doesn't get density and why people live in apartments. Crammed in like sardines she says. haha

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post

I personally love the introduction: "While I am not a resident or even frequent visitor to the Osborne Village neighbourhood..."

Also: "Approving the Sunstone project mainly because it is in step with the
Osborne Village Neighbourhood Plan and falls within established height
limits does not make the project good, either in itself or for the area."
- Area plans are there for a reason, and like you said this project fits it

My absolute favourite though is the people that "appeal in whole" with no reason... Those appeals shouldn't count without a reason.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 6:53 PM

Yeah. Basically everyone in the area lives in the shadows of the tallest residential buildings for a thousand miles. This building, being 7 storeys, is next to a 10 storey building, with Safeway on the back side. Seems like a good fit to me.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:21 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I personally love the introduction: "While I am not a resident or even frequent visitor to the Osborne Village neighbourhood..."

Also: "Approving the Sunstone project mainly because it is in step with the
Osborne Village Neighbourhood Plan and falls within established height
limits does not make the project good, either in itself or for the area."
- Area plans are there for a reason, and like you said this project fits it

My absolute favourite though is the people that "appeal in whole" with no reason... Those appeals shouldn't count without a reason.
More often than not those people will show up at the hearing and voice their concerns. You don't need to have your concerns on paper to appeal.

It's pretty crazy how NIMBY these things get... that one woman with 23 different points, some of them making no sense (she was mad that the developer was planning to put in a sidewalk? WTF?). And that 11 page hand written appeal letter, priceless.

I sure hope I don't sound like that when I write to my councillor... But I'm sure I do.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:54 PM

yea...wow:
Quote:
History shows that high density (areas) populations are easily prone to sickness and war. Unfortunately diversity plus density are the major examples of dispute and war it is a lot harder to get along peacefully.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
yea...wow:
So basically this apartment building will turn Osborne Village into the Gaza strip.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post

I sure hope I don't sound like that when I write to my councillor... But I'm sure I do.
I think this is a fair statement, I'm glad you ended your post like this after discussing the details of NIMBY'ism. Their is a process in place which regular folk can use to voice their opinions on development in our city, like any justice related matter, appeal. Even though 99.9% of posters, myself included, on the forum will disagree with the "against this development" for no good reason, as noted above, it's their for the balance in the process. The good will be weeded out from the bad and hopefully common sense will prevail...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
If Osborne lost its vendor that would effectively break the neighborhood. Those who say there is an LC up the street don't understand the way drinking in the village works. LC booze is for pregaming. Vendor beer is for when you're already extravagantly drunk at 2 AM and decide a 15 of Keystone is just what you need.

Also, the vendor is the biggest draw to get anyone past Stradbrook. It's the one advantage to the stupid way we sell alcohol in this province, but any place that sells booze is a destination. It's why drunks congregate and why downtown liquor stores become magnets for trouble. It's also the only thing south of Stradbrook worth going to at night.
You understand the complexities of the Village to a tee..

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 8:41 PM

Just don't forget your $50 24 of beer in the taxi afterwards.. It's happened more than once haha.. Maybe I should hang out in Osborne more. Just walk from the vendor to the party.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Just don't forget your $50 24 of beer in the taxi afterwards.. It's happened more than once haha.. Maybe I should hang out in Osborne more. Just walk from the vendor to the party.
Come on down, we'll make you feel right at home..haha

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 6:19 PM

Sorry no picture, but some of the new streetscaping has begun in Osborne Village. in front of the lot beside Black Rabbit theres 4 giant white boxes suspended on top of poles. Looks weird but I'm sure its not done haha.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Sorry no picture, but some of the new streetscaping has begun in Osborne Village. in front of the lot beside Black Rabbit theres 4 giant white boxes suspended on top of poles. Looks weird but I'm sure its not done haha.
Saw that... I think it looks really cool! Hopefully something similar happens on the opposite corner... the early 90s streetscaping stuff looks really stale over there.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Saw that... I think it looks really cool! Hopefully something similar happens on the opposite corner... the early 90s streetscaping stuff looks really stale over there.
I think the plan is to redo all the streetscaping from Confusion to the bridge. I know for sure they said the clock tower space is being replaced by some form of greenspace. I really hope it ends up cool and colourful and is as well thought out as the West Broadway BIZ rebrand. It should be our most presentable street outside downtown, but right now it's just sad. I'm praying for cool ornamental lighting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan