HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 4:29 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
They mentioned on Global tonight that Ivanhoe Cambridge is about to sign an agreement (they said probably on Monday) with the province to let them build the south overpass for access to Cross Iron Mills, and also that the County of Rockyview will be building the Metis Trail extension north from the Stoney interchange (or more likely 144th Ave which is the city limit) to highway 566, hopefully to open when the NE ring road opens this fall. So now its just up to the city to build the remaining part from 80th to Country Hills, not likely this year though from what has been recently said.

[...]
Well, if Rockyview county can get a contiguous connection built from CIM to Stoney, yet the City can't get Metis finished up to Stoney, then the city gets a big FAIL in my books. Yeah, the city had more to build, but come on, at least a 2 lane road up to Stoney being open by the the time a whole freeway is built from Deerfoot to 17th Ave. SW is not out of the realm of possibility. Forget planning here - the city knew what was going to happen but sucked on execution.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 3:07 AM

Well heres a look at Metis as it stands today:

Looking north from 128th Ave towards the Stoney interchange

Looking south from Country Hills. They've ripped up all the earthwork they did last year and look to have started further south as well on the plus side

And now more of 12 Mile Coulee @ Crowchild

Looking south towards Crowchild from the intersection at Nagway Road

The new SB to WB ramp

And Country Hills Blvd where work should hopefully be starting soon

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 3:53 AM

looking west down 16th, from 68th

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 4:37 AM
Construction Enthusiast

^The city is doing some improvements on that stretch of 16th (between 52nd and 68th) as well as improving the intersection. I think it's going to be three lanes each way on 16th there, but I can confirm from the tender drawings tomorrow.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
^The city is doing some improvements on that stretch of 16th (between 52nd and 68th) as well as improving the intersection. I think it's going to be three lanes each way on 16th there, but I can confirm from the tender drawings tomorrow.
Please share. I actually emailed the fellow handling the tender, which I noticed the other day. I asked him what kind of improvements we're going to see there and he said he didn't understand the question..Would be appreciated if you could post some info that said.

They also put up some plastic-orange construction fencing on the side of one of the dirt sound walls, maybe they'll excavate to make room for a temp intersection?..

[and they removed the speed camera there and I saw tonnes of people making a point to run red lights]

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 2:30 PM
Construction Enthusiast

^Checking the drawings now - Mostly just adding a lane each way on 16th Ave between 52nd and 68th Streets. The new lane will be in the median area. They are also adding a lane on 68th Street Northbound between 16th ave and the commercial access (between mcDonalds and Petrocan), so that the people coming off of 16th Westbound to 68th Northbound have a long merge lane.

The contract seems to assume that the province is taking care of the added lanes east of 68th Street on 16th Ave. I imagine it's part of the P3.

New streetlighting too, along 16th Ave, and a little bit of new overhead signage.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 5:57 AM

how did you find that out? any link?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:28 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
how did you find that out? any link?
Nope, no link. Tender drawings.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:46 PM

Quote:
The contract seems to assume that the province is taking care of the added lanes east of 68th Street on 16th Ave. I imagine it's part of the P3.
Yup, and I was getting a little worried the City wouldn't connect to the NE Stoney work on 16th Avenue in time for opening. It's good to see they're adding that third lane as promised. It would look pretty hilarious otherwise.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 7:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Driving Question

Ok time for a driving question that has been bugging me lately.

When stopped at a red waiting to turn right onto a one-way street, can vehicles in the 2nd lane also legally turn right on the red? Same question could apply to a one-way/one-way intersection.

Here is a crappy MSpaint picture showing the two turns:

I checked the Drivers Ed Manual online and couldn't find anything definitive, and I know this was discussed way back when I was 14 and getting my learners.

I see some people in that second lane turn on the red all the time, but others wait until the light is green. An example intersection would be 3rd Street SE at 5th Avenue. 3 lanes northbound show the ability to turn right, but can the two outer lanes do it on the red?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 7:45 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

When stopped at a red waiting to turn right onto a one-way street, can vehicles in the 2nd lane also legally turn right on the red? Same question could apply to a one-way/one-way intersection.

I checked the Drivers Ed Manual online and couldn't find anything definitive, and I know this was discussed way back when I was 14 and getting my learners.

I see some people in that second lane turn on the red all the time, but others wait until the light is green. An example intersection would be 3rd Street SE at 5th Avenue. 3 lanes northbound show the ability to turn right, but can the two outer lanes do it on the red?
As far as I know, they can. I do it at 3rd St and 5th Ave quite often (of course, during busy times, the only time you can turn right from the second lane is when the light is green anyway)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 7:49 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

So would it also be legal from the 2nd lane on a left turn from a one-way onto another one-way? Say from Macleod northbound to 6th avenue SE?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:

I do it all the time. I'm sure that I've done it and seen others do it with a Police car present and I have actually seen a police car do it as well.
If a car in front of me doesn't make the move, I give them a break (I don't honk my horn).

I believe the rule of thumb is that you can make the turn into your proper lane as long as you do not cross a lane of opposing traffic. i.e. you can't go from north on a one-way street to west on a 2-way street because you would be crossing a lane of opposing eastbound traffic.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 8:07 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
So would it also be legal from the 2nd lane on a left turn from a one-way onto another one-way? Say from Macleod northbound to 6th avenue SE?
Yup. legal as well.

When turning like that, and there's also a car turning from the first lane, you always have to make sure that the inside car is turning into their proper lane.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 8:15 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Yup. legal as well.

When turning like that, and there's also a car turning from the first lane, you always have to make sure that the inside car is turning into their proper lane.
Yeah no kidding, I can't even remember how many times that car on the inside lane has forced me out further because they are idiots and don't know how to turn!

Nudrock: I'm also like you, I won't honk at someone stopped in that situation either. Chances are there is traffic and making that turn from one of the outside lanes becomes a lot more tricky.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 8:33 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I'll personally never honk at anyone stopped at a red light, turning or no. By law you must stop and you're only allowed to proceed when you perceive that it's safe to do so (a lot of people don't actually know this, surprisingly enough, and treat it as a yield) - and if you're sitting behind, you have absolutely no way of judging that for most intersections.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 8:43 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I'll personally never honk at anyone stopped at a red light, turning or no. By law you must stop and you're only allowed to proceed when you perceive that it's safe to do so (a lot of people don't actually know this, surprisingly enough, and treat it as a yield) - and if you're sitting behind, you have absolutely no way of judging that for most intersections.
Yup, stopping is important. I am amazed that we don't have more dead pedestrians in this city, with the percentage of people that drive in this city that don't stop before turning right.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Yup. legal as well.

I could swear I read that it wasn't legal here in Alberta but now I need to go find a reference. I hope I am wrong and that it is legal cause that would be AWESOME!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Yup, stopping is important. I am amazed that we don't have more dead pedestrians in this city, with the percentage of people that drive in this city that don't stop before turning right.
I think it goes to show more government isn't the answer, people have brains.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 9:13 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:39 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure