HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 12:17 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Have you tried Rudy's Eat and Drink? Went there before the game against Tampa Bay and enjoyed the food.
Is Rudy's just another sports bar with widesreen tv set tuned to TSN? If so, I don't want it. There's plenty of other places that do that. I want to eat somewhere without a tv in the room, puleeas?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Turning the page on tragedy
Infamous site of gang killing may become eatery again

In an optimistic sign for inner-city Winnipeg, a West End restaurant that closed in the wake of a high-profile 2005 shooting may soon reopen as a new establishment.

On Wednesday, the City of Winnipeg's board of adjustment will consider a request to allow a restaurant and cocktail lounge to operate in a two-storey structure at the northeast corner of Sargent Avenue and Maryland Street.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...144333365.html

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:38 PM

I gave Rudy's a shot last night, and I have to say, I am impressed. The menu to the best of my analytical skills does change on Jets-nights (home games at least), to a fairly reasonable price point. The food was tasty, original (ie. did not appear to come from a bag and spend 4 to 10 minutes in a microwave) and the setting is nice. Recycled gym floor makes up the hardwood - interesting decor. Definitely a place I would revisit.

As an aside, walking down Portage Ave. prior to the game yesterday, and "Modern" (at least, I think that is what it is called) appeared to be absolutely empty. It's not looking good for them.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
As an aside, walking down Portage Ave. prior to the game yesterday, and "Modern" (at least, I think that is what it is called) appeared to be absolutely empty. It's not looking good for them.
I wanted to check this place out with some friends, but they wouldn't go because they didn't know what type of food to expect. No website or menu or online presence at all. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated since June 2011.

These days, if youre gonna open a restaurant, put up a web site. even a simple one with a menu AND hours of operation. Also, don't make a website made entirely of Flash. it isn't 2007 anymore.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
I gave Rudy's a shot last night, and I have to say, I am impressed. The menu to the best of my analytical skills does change on Jets-nights (home games at least), to a fairly reasonable price point. The food was tasty, original (ie. did not appear to come from a bag and spend 4 to 10 minutes in a microwave) and the setting is nice. Recycled gym floor makes up the hardwood - interesting decor. Definitely a place I would revisit.
I was there yesterday for lunch and was VERY impressed as well.

I agree completely about the food. Didn't taste like it came from a box frozen on the back of a Sysco truck. The portions we ample, the meats were tender and the vegetables we fresh. Most of us used the term "home cooking" to describe the meal.

I had the Monte Cristo which was really good (home cured ham and REAL chicken), other guys at the table had the Dirty Dozen (BLT with 12 pieces of their own cured bacon), the Reuben (which was pretty big) and their daily special which was an open face pizza sandwich (piled high with toppings).

The decor is pretty neat. Definitely working the "Mad Men" theme without being too cheese or corny in the process. As well the waitresses weren't a bunch of ditzy skanks who couldn't operate a parking meter. They were cute but still smart and classy.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
I wanted to check this place out with some friends, but they wouldn't go because they didn't know what type of food to expect. No website or menu or online presence at all. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated since June 2011.

These days, if youre gonna open a restaurant, put up a web site. even a simple one with a menu AND hours of operation. Also, don't make a website made entirely of Flash. it isn't 2007 anymore.
Looks like they have a web site with a menu here http://www.rudyseatanddrink.com/home

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

labamba's portage location is good eatin and turns out a friend works there lol

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Looks like they have a web site with a menu here http://www.rudyseatanddrink.com/home
The place called "Modern" on Portage doesn't have a website.

Ive been to Rudy's. The Max Cheese and the Scallop Fettucini are great.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post

Modern Restaurant serves Ethiopian food ...sort of like East Indian.... This one is better than the one on Ellice Ave. Water service is slooooww.

They have rice and some kind of bean dish. Some kind of crepe like bread.

Fully licensed. Lunch Buffet is $9.95 or so.

I heard from another person that they are really busy during lunch and in the evening....But if you go there at 2 p.m. expecting a lively place you are going to be disappointed.

My friend who does event posters around Winnipeg suggested to the owner(s) that they do a poster campaign for their then new restaurant...The owners didn't follow up on it.

Dhoom Restaurant (former Pizza Hut on Donald St.) is doing well... The bar part...The restaurant part is busy mainly during the lunch hour filled mainly with government bureaucrat types -- takes the load off of the Don Deli (120 Donald St.). The owner of Dhoom used to run a pizza joint. I like the pretzel-like crust here even though I don't really like pretzels. I love the overhead lighting lamp shades. Precious.

The Mexican Restaurant (former Lindy's on Portage Ave.).... I like Carlos & Murphy's better. This place just doesn't do it for me.

Garbonzo's at Balmoral Station...22 widescreen tvs showing hockey most of the time I've been there. Jets all the time. Their pizza's good though. Just don't try their 'pizza desserts'...

Last edited by LilZebra; Mar 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:28 PM

Speaking of Mexican joints, there is a new(ish) one in a neat old(ish) building on St. Mary's adjacent to Glenlawn Collegiate. The colours on the exterior REALLY POP. I have not set foot inside yet. Tio's I believe it is called, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:45 PM

Had a peek inside the big long vacant space on second floor Citiplace (the garbage-bag curtains were peeled back). The space is stripped down to concrete. Hopefully a sign that True North is soon to start work on a sportsbar there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:03 PM
Creative Accountant

Quote:
Speaking of Mexican joints, there is a new(ish) one in a neat old(ish) building on St. Mary's adjacent to Glenlawn Collegiate. The colours on the exterior REALLY POP. I have not set foot inside yet. Tio's I believe it is called, but I could be wrong.
I went there, it was terrible!!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

Are there any really good Mexican restaurants in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Are there any really good Mexican restaurants in Winnipeg?
There is one on Osbourne, right near confusion corner. It is really good, I can't remember the name of it though.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
There is one on Osbourne, right near confusion corner. It is really good, I can't remember the name of it though.
La Bamba

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
I went there, it was terrible!!!!
Good to know! Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:52 PM
Heart of the Continent

Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
La Bamba
I love this place but I always forget about it. There's a couple restaurants/stores back there but they're easy to miss because of the back entrance.

InFerno's Bistro just opened a second location on Academy road. A whole new menu and a lounge with music from what I've heard. The St. Boniface location is one of my top restaurants in the entire city so I can't wait to check this out.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:50 AM
BANNED

exchange eats

Local nightclub owner and events promoter, Stephen Hua, has teamed up with Chef Mandel Hitzer to open new 65-seat eatery deer + almond. His culinary resumé includes stints at Gluttons, Fazzo, Pizzeria Gusto and Fresh Café. The bistro’s name is a hybrid of the meaning of Chef Hitzer’s German name and the majestic whitetail deer of Manitoba, and reflects his menu of globally-influenced, playful and creative food. Although not open at press time, the menu tells a tale of unique delights designed to get Winnipeg diners tasting and talking. Descriptions of kale and quinoa with quail eggs and local pork belly with plum sauce, pickled pineapple and celery leaves have our curiosity piqued.
85 Princess St, 504-8562.—EB

from http://www.ciaowinnipeg.com/?page_id=4653

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I hear Ozzy makes an appearance there sometimes.

Ozzy Osbourne

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan